Team Nutroll made a bad call........

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by TN Greg, Feb 21, 2009.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    ......should have used the kitchen pass on leadstock. Being that Pearl's time is limited in the STL, we opted to maximum trips to the river. He's moving sometime this summer.

Anyway, we froze our tails off out there. The wind was gnarly and there were exactly 3 independent series of events that would be classified as nutrolls. Not uncommon for this group, but a pretty high number for us as of late. We managed 6 fish in total, but that was all in a 45 minute stretch.

Thought we had it figured out when we had a double, but that wasn't the case. It could not be repeated. Toooooo many variables I say...

Hope you guys have a good time this evening.

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Was alot of fun Greg. Sorry your night turned into a total nutroll. :smile2: Where is Pearl Going?

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Team Nutroll made a bad call........>

Without bad calls, would we still have nutrolls? I mean, how could you be Team Nutroll, if bad calls were not made? :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: This nutroll stuff has become fascinating. I find myself anxiously awaiting the next nutroll. :crazy: The closest we came to one yesterday was catching a double, and getting a couple of lines tangled up. :smile2:

Bill in SC

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Would Ole Jer's Massive Grease Explosion be classified as the infamous "NutRoll?"

Inquiring minds would like to know. :smile2:

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I am no expert, I would of course defer to Greg, but I do believe it would indeed classify as a nutroll. I truly wish we had the video to show Greg to confirm this matter.
    Oh and Greg, take it from one who truly knows, bad decisions are really not all that uncommon.

6. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    To answer a few questions.

1) Pearl departure -- Pearl and I both work for Emerson here in St. Louis. Be rest assured, I get some mighty strange looks taking the boat through the front gate and parking next to the Lexus's when we have a night trip planned. :smile2:

Anyway, his time is up in his current role, and he will be off to work at the next Emerson division that's probably not in St. Louis. The corporate office is here, but the 60+ divisions are located all over the world. So, where he'll end up, he doesn't know for sure -- but, we do know it will be sometime this summer / early fall. Not sure if he will get to participate in the July / August bite. :sad2: I think it may be something he tries to negotiate. :wink:

2) Now for "Nutroll" classification, it's kind of hard to really tell without the complete story. Getting a double and having the lines cross, maybe. Oil in the garage floor, not sure. Was there any flames?? :roll_eyes:

I'll give an example of a prime nutroll that happened yesterday to give a feel. Perhaps over the next month or so we can get some more precise definition.

[Setting the stage] We had just got through connecting on 6 fish -- back, to back, to back, etc. To say we were on top of the world, would have been an understatement. The sun was out and we were anchored out of the wind. I mean we had this thing figured out.

[Nutroll #2 of the day -- 30 minutes later] We were anchored on a wing dike and the wind was absolutely getting it. We had six rods out and they were all doubled over -- unfortunately, it was just the wind. It was blowing that stinking hard.:crazy: To make matters worse, we couldn't really see or hear each other with all of the clothes and the wicked conditions. To be honest, Pearl was on auto-pilot all day, kind of in his own little world, eating crackers...weird.

So, we are literally hunkered down in the bottom of the boat, holding on for the big bite since we had a ton of confidence in this spot. Then, (when ~25% of our nutrolls are set into motion), the anchor breaks free. And we are off......... The boat does a complete 360, we are smoking down the missouri, the anchor is skiing across the surface, all six lines are attached to the aforementioned skiing anchoring, we are approaching another partially submerged dike and the prop is a bit mangled up (stemming from Nutroll #1 of the day). Couple this scenario with two guys who can't see or hear each other, 30mph winds and you have yourself a bonifide "nutroll".

Nutroll #3 consisted of a scenario where all six rods were hung up at the same time. Only one hook and sinker were retrieved. :confused2:

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    OMG LMFAO X 10000000000000000000000000000000000 Yup, I can NOW SEE what it takes to be a bonafied NutRoll Member. Gotta love those 6 Rod hangups. Come to think of it, I've had a could multi snag Nutrolls in my day as well. :smile2:

So, to anwer your question, I did not bear personal witness to the Grease Explosion. However, eyewitness accounts indicate there was a Large amount of flames for a couple of minutes. There was a 8 foot radius of Grease equidistant in all directions. Preliminary reports are indicating about 5 gallons came from the Pot in about .0005 seconds. The Hazmat Crew reports that it took a 50 gallon bag of Cat Litter to stop the previously mentioned grease flow. The diligent hazmat crew was able to Halt the flow before any streams were contaminated as well.

So, based on the evidence, I humbly submit Ole Backdrafts submission into the Leadstock 'Nutroll' of the day award.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If you are alone on the river freezing your arse off when a 'nutroll' occurs and no one is around to hear/see it is it still a 'nutroll'?

9. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    A 'solo' nutroll you say??

Most definitely.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That was great, Darryl!!!

Bill in SC

11. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Bob, don't sell yourself short -- you may indeed be an expert. I've only spent about 10 minutes with you and I witnessed a "nutroll" in just that short time. Remember when I backed your truck in for you and you managed to pull the boat up a little too far on the trailer???:roll_eyes:

I would classify that 4 minute stretch as a bit of a nutroll.

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I prefer to think of that as equipment failure but if it will qualify me for at least an honorary membership in team nutroll I will take the brunt of the ridicule.

13. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Equipment failure???? :crazy:

Now that is a stretch. I like your approach, however.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Would that be classified as a "Deflected NutRoll?" :smile2:

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Rumour has it that TEAM TWELLMAN, aka 30G's and the three fillets may have experienced a NUTROLL or two yesterday......:0a10::0a33:

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO. Ok, OUT with it :smile2:

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Something about a castnet, a castnet rope fouled in the prop, a motor that choked on said rope, and an inoperative trolling motor.......

Luckily they were only 15 minutes into the trip and still in the harbor.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Disclaimer: Skipeye is NOT in control of his actions this morning, could not stop myself.......where are my meds, wish I could find them!:0a6::0a30:

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO. Now this I'm thinking is a shoo in for a Nutroll. You can pass on to Team 30 G's and the 3 filets well be expecting the complete Nut Roll Report.

19. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i heard the story this mornin before we went to ranken it sounds right