Team Catfish Tug O War Braid

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by hct236, Jan 4, 2010.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Just wondering if anyone has tried the Team Catfish Tug O War Braid. The price is certainly right and if its as good as most of their products it should be worth a try. I may give it a try this year on one of my reels to test it.

2. veteto

veteto New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    i bought some of the tug of war braid 80 lb test green and it keeps snapping with about 20lbs of pressure on it
    i dont know if it was a bad spool or what .. so i switched back to power pro 65 lb test green

3. jworth

jworth Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    No first hand experience but have read as many bad reviews as good. Common complaint is waxy cheap stuff. Renegade tackle has just as good a price if not better and have only seen good reviews. Power pro is more expensive but is good too.

4. Hartung5

Hartung5 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I tried tug o war line in the past and did not like it. I have had more lines snap with this product then anything else I have used in the past. Also the Yellow color wore off real fast. I now use yellow High Vis. Power Pro Braid and couldn't be happier. Spend the money for a better line. It's worth every dollar. There has been good reviews for invicta braid. A lot of people her has used it.

5. 1 at a time

1 at a time New Member

I bought some Invicta Braid and thought it would be some cheap junk.

Been using it for the past year and it is the best braid i have ever tried.

I fell for the others...

never again!

6. kemetek1

kemetek1 Well-Known Member

State:
    missouri
    Tug o war is garbage in my honest opinion

7. Philippe

Philippe New Member

State:
    Pevely, Mo.
    I will have to agree with ya chief. I have two spools sittin here i'll never use unless i plan to fly a kite or something.

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Been usin tug-of war since it came out 80-100lb braid.....On all 13 of my ABU'7000's and 7700's / No complaints here / Notice the 90lb turtle in my avatar...tug-of-war:cool1:

9. BUDMEISER01

BUDMEISER01 Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Suffix 832 is the best, but it is more expensive. Second best is Invicta and is more cost effective. I use both and have no complaints about either except my wallet is a little lighter when I buy Suffix. JMHO

10. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Suffix 832 is a close second to Cortlands Master Braid

11. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was using Power Pro ... Went to Tug-O-War its nice when it was brand new (lol i could tell by my 3d trip is was over) but when i would get hung up on the river it would snap easier then the PP i will give invicta a shot i hear its damn good line.

Its only 13 bucks cheaper then the PP but from what ive heard tuff line is a relabel of invicta if thats true then invicta is BEASTTTTTTT line hands down ..try to snap 100lb tuff line .. hahah good luck.

ill let you guys know whats up soon enough.

12. Briars

Briars Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How come the green is a lower price than the yellow. Is yellow just more popular?

13. rnickel17

rnickel17 Well-Known Member

State:
    Aurora, IL.
    Name:
    Ray
    There is some weird answers on this thread about Tug O war Braid. One of the main reasons I bought Tug O War braid was because of the hundreds of Great reviews I've read about it across the internet and in catfishing forums. Alot of those reviews were from Proffesional guide services who have been using this line for years. If there is any of you who have seen the Blue Catfish that Terry littlejohn and her husband catch at lake Tawakoni, or Cody Mullenix knows they don't mess around with cheap equipment or else they wouldn't have jobs. And they're guides so they put they're equipment through day in and day out of rough abuse.

Also, I greatly appreciate all of your posts and all of your suggestions. It's awesome that we have a special site like this where we can share info with eachother and help eachother be better catfisherman and where we can share our cool stories.

That being said, it's unfortunate there are the few that simply cannot, and will not, accept that a product is good whether they have tried that product or not. You know, it's the whole "PICK-UP TRUCK PHENOMENA" People got they're mind set that this so an so BRAND truck is "IT" and every other brand sucks! And that's no matter if "THEIR BRAND'S" Truck rusts out quicker, or THEIR BRANDS Truck engine fails earlier. AS long as those other trucks are built in a different country they suck, and they are no good. No matter that those other Brands Trucks engines last forever and are built better. THAT ONE BRAND IS ALL THERE IS, and forget all those other brands.

There's a Big difference between "BRAND LOYALTY" and "BRAND OBSSESION". Obsession cannot see what else is going on the world.

So, for all the T.C. Haters out there. You can say all you want. But there will be a time when you realize that "HEY man, you know what. That T.C. product really is pretty good.

I'm not saying everyone buy into what T.C. is doin. But I am hoping that others can keep a more open mind towards these new products. Just knocking something, to knock something, isn't gonna work anyway. Because if a product is good, they'll end up finding out about it anyway.

Thanks

Ray

14. LTapias

LTapias Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    For me, all my catfish hooks and rods are TC(I only buy rods that I have the ability to hold in my hands and my buddy just happens to be a TC dealer lol). I own 3 iCats(paired w MY MC 600s), 2 7'(paired w a Penns SSV6500LL and a Okuma trio bf-65) warriors spinners, 1(ea.) 8' spinner(Penn SSV8500LL) and caster(big river xxh) and 1 8' thunder cat H(paired with my Penn Fathom FTH-40) Then just about every kind of hook they sell.

With that said, I have had used the tug o war line 30# and 50# line. I have had the color(moss green) fade out pretty quick compared to the PP and 832 lines I have on my other reels. The performance was better then the PP in my opinion but couldn't compared to the Sufix 832 and is the reason why I changed my lines to 832 on my main rods and just waiting till I have extra money to replace the line in the of my reels.

15. rnickel17

State:
    Aurora, IL.
    Name:
    Ray
    Ltapias,

Since you have similar equipment. Do you feel I have plenty enough in my Medium Heavy Casting thundercat rod for catching flatheads 10-35lbs. Or should I upscale to the 8'0" Heavy casting thundercat rod. Sounds like you have experience using the rods so just asking off your experience.

Thanks, and have a good week!

Ray

16. LTapias

LTapias Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The MH Thunder Cat will handle that range with no problem. But if you want to get the 8' H Thunder Cat, don't let me stop you because there is no such thing as too many rods and options. Only issue I have is the weight of the rods and why I prefer using the iCat over the other rods.

I've been using their product for over two years now (and fished at least 75 days a year)and I've yet to have any major problems(other then a friend closing the car door on tip of my Thuder Cat last fall which i still need to replace the tip guide which got bent). Only thing I wish they did was use metal reel seats as to the plastic seats. As product wise, I stay away from their sinker slides(bc my braided line tears through them and causes it to damage the line), the smooth operator snagless sinker(horrible in the Susquehanna!) and of course the Tug-O-War bc I just prefer the Sufix 832 line.

17. rnickel17

State:
    Aurora, IL.
    Name:
    Ray
    Thanks man. Really good stuff. You have always been very helpful and willing to share your insights. Thanks for that.

Yeah, it seems you may have spoiled yourself with those carbon rods. Are they worth the price? I'll have to wait a season or two before I get into those big guns!

Have a great week!

Ray

18. LTapias

LTapias Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Prices just went up on them, fortunately I got them last year and at a heck of a lower price bc of my hook up.

here are the pro's and cons:

Pro: Extremely lightweight(my Penn Spinfisher SSV6500LL(reel alone) weighs just as much as the rod, reel and line combined) and sensitive! It's able to chuck a good amount of weight. I've thrown 5 oz sinkers with bait weighing anywhere from 3 oz to 8 oz in weight with no problems. I actually like the stiffness, and I have to say, it has one hell of a backbone for how thin the rod is and allow it to play with the big kitties!

Con: Of course the price, for the price of the rod, most would rather buy two-three of their favorite rod other than these. I kind of wish it had a metal reel seat but I guess even at this price, I can't have everything I want lol. Finally, I kind of wish the guides where just a tab bit thicker but given the thickness of the rod, its understandable on why they use the guides they do.

Over all, it comes down to how important is the rods weight for you? If it is, is it worth the price for you. For me, I was lucky to get them when I did for around $110-140 a piece when I got them. This rod's capabilities are right there with other well known Heavy rods but just at a fraction of the weight and just as capable. I know this probably should go into the rod section but oh well lol.

19. surfcat

surfcat Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    I have been very curious about tug-o-war braid myself. It is very difficult to get an idea for the quality of this line as there are so many differing experiences with it.

Sometimes it is confidence in a certain product the masks itself as, "brand loyalty". Although, I, myself, try to stay open minded.

20. rnickel17

State:
    Aurora, IL.
    Name:
    Ray
    Surfact, When I start getiing the line wet and catching some fish I'll give a personal review on it.

Peace!

Ray