Team Catfish double action - - setting the hook

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by take1a, Mar 10, 2008.

1. take1a

take1a New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Saw Denny Halgren at a sportshow over the weekend. He talked about a hook made by Team Catfish; a double action hook. Haven't catfished for years, but decided I'd get some of these hooks (ordered them today) and give them a try for some good-eatin channels. When I was a kid, we used J-hooks. I don't think they even made circle hooks then. When I heard Denny talk about the Double-Action hook that sounded like a good one for me, cuz I'm used to setting the hook. I'm afraid I'd screw up too much by trying to set the hook on a circle hook. So, anybody out there use the T.Catfish Double Action? Any advice you can give me about how to fish with it, and how to set the hook would be appreciated.

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`ve never used them, welcome to the BOC!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Al, welcome to the BOC/SOC, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there. There are quite a few people on this site that use that hook and really like them. I'm sure some of them will chime in and give you some pointers.

4. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I haven't heard of these before. I suppose I'll hafta google 'em up and see what I can find out. Always like to check out new stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

5. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Never heard of 'em, but now I need some. Hope your proud of yourself!

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:smile2:

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC Al, never use double action hooks but I'll take a look at them thanks.

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Welcome to the BOC from NE Florida...That hook seems like something I can't live without.......... cause it's fishin' stuff, that's why !!

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Al.

10. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    They are great hooks. You can let them load up without a hookset just like a normal circle hook or you can use a sweeping motion to help it set. I've been experimenting using bait clickers with the circle hooks. Let the fish take a few feet of line with the clicker, engage the reel, reel down until you feel the pressure of the fish and sweep the rod back horizontaly in the opposite direction that the fish is running. You DO NOT want a quick, jerk or snappy hook set. Just a continous sweeping motion until it feels solid. 95% of the time the hook will set in corner of the mouth.

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've also heard good things about those hooks. I've seen them and they don't look any different than most circle hooks except they have an extra barb on them to hold the bait on better.

12. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i use these hooks, i like them. i think ive only missed one maybe two fish with these hooks. i just set my poles in the holder let the fish load it. or if im drifting i will reel the line till i feel the fish then just a long slow pull on the line till the fish turns and hooks himself. i think you will like these hooks. havent heard anything but good reports on thses hooks.

13. take1a

take1a New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for all the welcoming comments, and the heads up on how to set the hook. I've got a jon boat that's plain-jane, and am thinking about getting some rod holders to add to it. Never owned a rod holder before, so your advice on those would be appreciated. I've got some preferances for them: want them to be movable, maybe clamp-down, so I can move them to different places on the boat; also want them to be sturdy as hell, so they don't break if a big cat loads up while they're in the holder. Any links to pictures of different options would be great.

Also, a newbie question: this forum is called Catfish1. What's the BOC stand for?

14. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The DOUBLE ACTION catfish hook works 3 ways.

Burn the reel to set the hook, reel untill you are so sure that the catfish will never come off.

Sweep the rod with a long powerful hookset up and over your head.

Let the catfish bury the rod in a rod holder and hook themselves.

It is truly the ultimate catfishing hook.

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    BOC stands for Brotherhood of Catfishermen.

As for the hooks... I really need to get me some of those. Thanks for the tips on the hooks Jeff.

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The Team Catfish hooks are great circle hooks. The extra barb mentioned is a bait holder barb to keep your bait from moving up the hook.

17. take1a

take1a New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jeff, thanks for the info on proper hook setting of the double action. Talked to Patricia earlier today, and my hooks should be on their way.

So, BOC = brotherhood of catfishermen. Well hey, I'll fit right in, if catfishermen drink beer that is :tounge_out:.

So, still looking for good advice on a strong UNbreakable, and portable rod holder to use for my jon boat. It'd be great to have one or two, or three, that each hold 2 to 3 poles each.

18. USMCKoontz

USMCKoontz New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My friend told me about them, he says they are great, although I havent used them, I did see him catch a 20 pound cat on one a couple weeks ago...so I know they can work:) they look like great hooks to me.. made really well.

19. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I plan on giving these hooks a try this season and will be placing my order soon, thanks for clarifing how to use these hooks.I`ll let the guys at team catfish know how they work out for me.

20. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Finally a circlre hook that can be set. Now i dont have to wait for the hit then the steady pull.