Teal

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by smhmc6, Sep 14, 2009.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Went out this weekend for teal opener on Saturday morning and Sunday morning. I went duck hunting only once before, that was last year on kind of a spur of the moment thing. And that day wasn't a good day in the blind. We had a good weekend for teal though. Saturday we kind of got sandwiched between 2 other groups so anything that was coming into us got shot at just before they were going to decoy in. We didn't shoot any that day, but Sunday we both shot one shy of our limit. I just cooked up that teal and i gotta say that I was really suprised. That was some of the best meat I've had, very tender and tasty. I wrapped up the breasts in bacon and marinated them overnight. Put them on the grill and they were awesome. Try it out if you haven't already.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh yeah, teal are one of the better eating ducks! good job.

3. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    A lot of blue wing teal nest and raise their broods here in Wisconsin. Unfortunately they always pull stakes and head south before our season starts. The green wings hang around awhile though. My brother's favorite eating duck is a teal. He'll swap a mallard any day for one of your teal.

4. idahocatfisherman

idahocatfisherman New Member

State:
    idaho
    wish idaho had some of these earlier seasons loads of teal around here, mmmm flying sirloin, but we open up for a portion of the state this weekend and i will be headed out for that.

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Idahocatfisherman your right. I love teal, but they don't stay around here very long. The greenwing hang in for a while but I have only shot one bluewing in about 45 years of duck hunting. I see a few in the summer but by duck season they are headed south.

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Its been a few years, but I did shoot and eat them. I'd trade mallards for them anyday. They are the best. Not much there when the feathers are gone, but they make up for it in taste. About one is all I could eat tho.

7. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Yep, see the same thing around these parts. Kinda strange how theyre both from the same family but they act alot different at times. We see bluewings for MAYBE the first week of the season, depending on the weather. Then they hightail it outta here. Greenwings will stay around (for the most part) until freeze-up.

Im headed for N. Dakota for 2 weeks on Tuesday, hopefully I will bring back some good pictures to post. The weather has been cold up there the past couple days and aint gettin any warmer until next weekend. Gettin some pretty good movement up there from what Im hearing on the waterfowl only forums. Either way Im going to have to battle with the pheasant hunters as the first week of the season is this coming week. Should be interesting, they usually think we're trying to get at their pheasants and get all snippy about it. I told my buddies we should put a sticker on the back of the trucks that says " We're hunting waterfowl not pheasants so dont run us off the road".

8. idahocatfisherman

idahocatfisherman New Member

State:
    idaho
    last year i did not shoot a single teal but the years before i shot plenty of blue wing and greenwing. just have to find a good marsh that is unknown to others but we dont usually get full plumage teal during duck season here