teaching a teen to use a bait caster

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by BIG_D, Dec 27, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i got a job ahead of me lol Heather is shopping for a bait caster now and has informed me i got to teach her to use it :eek:oooh: think i will spool it with the 80lb mono i have bird nest will be easy to get out till she gets the hang of it
    how did you guys teach your kids to use them and keep them from giving up. she gets frustrated easy i am realy supprized she is wanting to learn she has always loved open faces even to this day she gets line loops on a open face i cant get her to take the time to wach for this so i dont know how this bait caster deal will go time will tell.

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    tie a weight on it,tighten the brake down purty good,and put here in the yard,an practice.thats how i do it.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I would show her a few times and then leave her alone to practice. IMO it's best to not be breathing down their throats and explaining everything. Kids like to learn on their own and messing up is part of learning. The rest you got..heavy line, a weight, and tension set good.

-Jim-

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, i'd say high on weight and brake for starters. And just practice, practice, practice...

Funny, I still have the reel I learned to baitcast with when I was a teenager, a daiwa magforce my parents got me about 80/81. I lived in S.C near Hartwell. B.A.S.S was the biggest thing going and Bill Dance, Jimmy and Roland somehow convinced me I had to get a magforce...:wink::smile2:

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    WEll.Im the only one in my family that fishes and i thought my self how to use it..When i bought my first one though the guy said it is in like a free spool sort of mode and when you want the line to go out let go of the spool...when you want it to stop put your thumb on it..He told me a good drill for this practice is to stand at the top of some stairs and drop it to the floor...and practice thata way..I went to casting with in 2 minutes the stair thing was so boring.lol..I got maybe 2 backlashes and after that didnt get one for a few days then i too it fishin...I used a bass casting sinker because thats all i had at the time and i thingk i had like 12-15lb line in it...I use the cheapest line i could get because i knew it would get all tangled up i would have to trash the line fairly quick!!

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    This will be interesting :smile2: I just learned to use them this summer. I tried years ago on a friends Bass Baitcaster got a birds nest 3 times in a row gave up and that was 2000. I had no patience at all then lol. Bought an Okuma 450L this summer to see what all the baitcaster hype was. Purchased it with the intent to learn and was frustrated time after time. I always dragged it along and eventually got the hang of it. I used 65LB PP, 5oz weight and had the brake tight until it dropped slow. It took me a good 2 months until I was good. Now my brakes are all the way loose on all my reels and I can throw my baitcasters just as far as my spinning reels minus the 9 and 10 footers. whats funny is about a month ago i picked up another buddy's bass baitcaster and I could cast it half the time and birdnest the other half, I just need weight on mine I guess. Good luck brother

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Good line ,Heavy weight,and patience,patience.and more patience.
    Sooner or later she will get the hang of it.
    I use 80# Braid on mine.much easier to untangle.And yes I still get the dreaded bird nests.

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I would say that things may be made more understandable if the following are explained:

- How the rod plays it's part in the cast.
    - How the line reacts during phases of the cast.
    - How the reel setting play a part.
    - Setting on th reel and how to adjust them for a person's ability level.
    - What the person needs to do during a cast so things generally go well.
    - What causes backlashes and how to clear them.
    - Letting the person know that everyone gets backlashes at times and that it's not a thing to make you give up.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hmmm.
    Never had anything else til I was 20+ years old.
    I had an old Plueger that was my uncle gave me. Brother had an old Ocean city.
    I could hit a hula hoop from our front yard to the neighbors across the street 15 out of 20 times.
    The key is desire and practice with a heavy dose of the desire.

Have a good 1
    just

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    put an oz or 2 depending on the spool size and have her do short casts leaving her thumb on the spool the whole time. less pressure on the spool during the cast but keep the thumb in constant contact with the spool and it shouldnt backlash

11. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    IDEA!!! Buy her a baitcaster that you have been wanting and teach her the wrong way to do everything!!! Hey at least you will have another reel! LOL!

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    not a bad idea, but i would show her the right way then if she gives up you wtill have a new reel and if she doesn't she gets agood one to start.

if i were going to teach someone, i would give them one of my diawa bass reels. it has magnets in it to slow it down. if set right, you can cast with out having to use your thumb much. once she/he gets a hang with a reel that is easy to cast, then i would hand them an abu or penn. they are a different animal compared to the others. i taught my brother this way, so i know it can work.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    maybe i am a odd ball but i tried and tried to learn on a bass bait caster and slung several in the lake but got my hands on a abu and it was easy for me to learn but i had the brothers hear coaching me to i guess thats one reassen if its not a abu i just cant bring myself to buy it there are some nicer looking reels than abu but i am just stuck on the abu also like penn just give me the no frill reels and i do better dont know why

14. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    just make sure its a ambassadeur or a shimano they are the easiest and the best ones to learn on mine was a shimano then went to abu and that all I use now. To me that is the best two to learn on and she got to have patience and also practice you get the brake set just right and she'll have no problem

15. festus

festus New Member

I learned how to use a baitcaster on an old 1958 Shakespeare Triumph reel. It was about 10 years old at the time and I was about 15 years old. I still have it, BTW on an original steel rod. My first few attempts were pretty bad until I got enough weight on it. These reels don't have a freespool button, and when you cast the reel handles turn.

Yeah, tighten the spool down to where the first few casts won't even require much thumbing then gradually loosen it up a bit. After I got hold of an Abu I was hooked forever. My first attempt with a BIG baitcaster was a Penn No 79, which I still have. It's an late 1960's model and still is in excellent condition.

16. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    When I was 13 an older man up the street from my house gave me an Abu Ambassador 5000. I decided to try and learn how to use it. I practiced in the back yard and everytime I went fishing I would take it with me and practice there also. Never really got perfect at it but got good enough to only get backlash every once in a while. I was practicing one day at a big lake with a large lure that I found didn't think I would ever catch anything on it. I casted it under a tree that hung out over the water and got a backlash. So I started to untangle it and a few minutes later I was just going to cut the line and pull my lure back in. Then my line tightened up and I hooked a fish. I tryed to just hold onto the pole and get the backlash out. Well I seen the fish it was a big bass. It ended up breaking my line so I decided to quit trying the bait caster. This year I finally cut all the backlash off of it and respooled it. Don't know if I'm going to use it or not. Might just leave it alone because it is pretty old.
    I attached a picture of one of them but it is not mine I don't have the case.

17. bigmike971

bigmike971 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I taught myself how to use them also. I tighten the brake just until the weight stops falling and its set. If the weight is bigger tighten it another quarter or half turn. Teach her that her thumb is her best friend. Just have her get in the habit of putting her thumb on the spool when the bait hits the water or ground when practicing.

18. bigmike971

bigmike971 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I taught myself how to use them also. I tighten the brake just until the weight stops falling and its set. If the weight is bigger tighten it another quarter or half turn. Teach her that her thumb is her best friend. Just have her get in the habit of putting her thumb on the spool when the bait hits the water or ground when practicing.