Teach the future boaters RIGHT!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by TDawgNOk, Dec 30, 2005.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    For those of you who are retired, or have time I would like to encourage you to contact a local Boy Scout troop, and offer to teach the Motorboating Merit badge and/or Fishing Merit Badge. Doing so would help ensure that the future generations of boaters and fishermen know whats right and whats wrong.

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Coming from a background of Boy scouts and being an Eagle Scout w/ 3 palms my self i know the importance of good merit badge counselers... Even though my Troop had people who know boats and fishing there are many that don't... Since Getting my eagle and aging out of the Boyscout program I have gone back to different troops and taught them the basics of fishing... I also do multiple demonstrations for fishing and fishing merit badge (im not old enough to sign up to do the merit badge yet... soon though) for my own troop...

The other place you can go and do basic talks is girl scouts... Too often girls opinions on fishing are eww thats gross or they haven't done it ever... Fishing should not be a heavy majority male sport and the best way to get women involved is get them started young...

Also i know that in Maryland there is a law saying you are not allowed to operate a boat if you were born after 1972 or so unless you have taken a boaters safety course and passed...

I took mine this past summer and am ready to get my boat... i also have my motorboating meritbadge along w/ too many others...

I think more states should pass similar legislation but require it back to an earlier date as well and not just have it be a one time thing... force renewals every 5 years or so so that people can stay up on current laws and Regs as well as be tested for their competency (no offence to anyone who's and oldie but sometimes you don't have the best days... for that matter some of us young guns don't either but you have more bad days then us )

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Wait, I forgot what I was going to post. Something about that comment on oldies, aw hell forget it, I know I was right, if I could just remember.

Jim

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    its alright jim your just having a brain fart... :p

5. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Hey, is one of those merit badges in tact?

Jim ;)

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    see we all start off having sometimers... you know when you forget things.... ummm what was that word... oh sometimes ;) over time the oldies just gradually have that grow to mostimers and eventually alltimers

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Good idea TD, I see alot of boaters that could use some help. Not just the kids. But that would be a great start.

Also a good post from photocat. I commend you for what you are doing. To often young guys get involved in bad things and the world could use more young guys like yourself and my son, IMO . To give back what you have learned from the Boy scouts is Great. I'm sure the younger guys listen to you well cause they relate to your age better. Keep up the good work!

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I am all for teaching the kids. I take our 3 adopted sons out in the boat fishing, usually turns into an outing,and teach them what I know. I am fairly new to boating and have a lot to learn. I plan to take the boaters safety course, although I am old enough that it is not required. I am lucky enough to have a grown son in the Coast Guard that helps me out considerably. I believe that anything done with adults who care helps kids .

Jim