Teach me to catch big Catfish!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Oct 16, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I am always catching nice cats, the biggest was 12 pounds and all caught on jugs. I want to land a monster cat with my rod & reel, I see all these avatars of monster cats and now I want one! Location,depth, bait. What do I need to do to hang one of these Bulls?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Time and patience is all that you need. :wink:

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    come on down to killen al don and ill take you juggin and rod and reel fishing for some big cats. oh bring skips :smile2:lol

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just what he said! Time and Patience! rollo

5. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I just may take you up on that!

6. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    It also helps to be somewhere that has big fish.:wink:

7. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    come anytime don and bring rollo with ya

8. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Looks like so far that no one wants to share secrets, come on brothers this is not telling me very much. Do I need to fish points, deep water? My lake, Old Hickory has monsters in there but when I fish with jugs I fish closer to the bank. Do I need to be out further for the big guys? Come on share your stuff....LOL

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    They dont stay in one spot all year.
    You have to find them. Plenty of posts on the site as for what to look for.
    Focus on structure, drop offs, creek and river channels, and flats next to those.
    Other than that have good bait. Fresh/live indigenous species.
    The rest is just a matter of payin dues and waitin. Sometimes the wait can be a long one.
    They dont always come easy. Believe me on that one.:smile2:

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think deep water is the key especially for big blues..30 feet plus..I've caught some big fish in the shallows but mostly just in the spring.I have caught most of my big fish over @ Bledsoe Creek including a 28 lb flathead and 30 lb blue both during the spring and in about 12 ft of water..After the spring I struggle to find them cause I can't get to the big deep water..Sometimes in the fall they'll follow the crappie back into the shallow water but not as much as in the spring..Sorry I can't help more..Its not that I don't want to share its just I am still trying to familiarize myself with the water in this area.Now if we were in Louisiana I could put you on the big fish easy..Alabama has some great places to fish including Wheeler lake..I've fished down in Decatur AL and caught some nice big fat healthy cats..My wifes cousin is married to a guy from Decatur so we sometime go down there..Just keep on keeping on and one will cross your line eventually..

11. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    come to florence this weekend and talk to the best of the best at the cabelas classic tourny.

12. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    If you really want to stick a pig, I've got two words for you...big bait! Seriously, we've all heard the big bait catches big fish, well, it is especially true for catfish. If you're after big flatheads, you need a big lively bluegill on your hook...about the size that you would normally consider taking home and eating...yes, that big. If you're after Blues, then a piece of fresh cut bait (fresh, as in just caught), about the size of your hand, (take a 12 to 18 inch fish and cut it in half)...yes that big! You may not catch very many but you will catch a big one if there's any around.

One more thing to think about...can your gear handle a 50 + lb fish? If you're not using a heavy action rod, baitcaster reel, 60 lb+ main line and leader and 10/0 hooks, your not going to land very many. Gear up and bait big...then patience...then let it go when you succeed. I'll wait for the pic.

13. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    just to add to the catman Don, try some drift fishin. droppin a line off the bank and waitin on a bigg one to swimm by could take forever. also, baitin holes. i like to use a mesh bag filled with cut baits. carp, bream, shad, . i'll grind it up and freeze into a solid block. then i'll either drop it off the side of the boat about 4-6 feet off the bottom. also i do this on the edges of a current, so the oils will carry downstream and call um in. i have even dropped it off the boat with a bouy, left it an hour or so and fish other spots, then come back. i like useing a mesh bag so that oils and blood slip away. maybe small bits of flesh, you dont wanna just throw chumm in open water like they do in salt water. i was fishin a tourney with a guy one time and he decided he was gonna chum, before i could stop him he thru out about 4 lbs of aged shrimp. basically provided a buffet in that spot. we cought nothing. i should have told him why, but we were in his boat. you only wanna tease a bite, not shut it off complete. we did catch fish when we moved on the next hole and got an hourly winner. placed first and we won 500.00 for that hour.

14. festus

festus New Member

I caught my biggest catfish in probably less than 10' of water, a 38 lb. blue about 20 years ago in early spring. If most people were to see this spot, they would think it would unlikely to hold big fish. It's more of a crappie hole in the spring and fall, but I've heard of other folks catching big cats out of there. A few months ago I was reading an article by Bob Holmes of Trenton, TN and found out why this would be such hotspot in the spring.

He explains that catfish will show up on rocky banks that face south or southwest, because these banks are quickest to warm up. And he also mentioned these areas will have a moderate to light current. He says baitfish also tend to hold tighter to rocks when current is present. And since the catfish are in the spawning mood, they are going to be shallow.

I don't know how legible this sketch I attempted will show up, but I diagrammed my spot. You'll see a main body of water at the bottom of the photo. Then toward the top, you'll see a tiny feeder branch which runs under the road with a culvert. The red spots are rip rap. On the south side of the road, the banks face south. Water pulls through this culvert and creates a current, and usually changes direction several times a day. I've had good luck on both sides of the road. One trick is to float a bait under a floater inside the culvert, and let it flow with the current. I have caught my personal best smallmouth bass here, also. Also caught my best crappie of the year here in April, 2 lb. 6 oz......Both the cat and bass were caught on big gobs of 5 or 6 nightcrawlers I dug out of the woods. I have also done well on live and dead creek chubs and bluegill fillets. I tried this spot earlier this week, but all we caught were crappie, bluegill, and dink bass. I have a feeling the bigger catfish are in the main river right now, which is very much deeper.

15. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Focus and patience, with all the info from the previous guys, I believe is the key. I have yet to land a big one but I am doing everything these guys are saying. My problem is time. If you have time you will get one.

16. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    tnjugger #1 fish alone just kidding but everytime i catch a cat over 20 i'm alone, i can't say anything different than these other great fisherman have said, me personnaly i like anchoring out with 2 anchors on a point with a deep creek or river channel on atleast one side of it. i throw rods out making a complete circle around the boat and wait.#2 have confidence in what you are doing if you don't believe in youself it's not going to happen.you are a good fisherman and why i say these is because you consistently catch fish. he is out there lurking and waiting :confused2:

17. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc

yea What they said,,, A lot of time and patience!!!!!!!!!!

18. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Now thats a good post. I could see you telling someone that and being loud about it.

19. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thats wild bro, i been fishin this same kinda set up, the only difference is its a road that crosses the bayou and channels into a pipe. on side has a concrete colvert with a steel door to controll flo. this is a favorate spot of mine that is loaded with bass that chase the threadfin into the bottle neck and gorge themselves. i can stand in one spot and cast and catch a limit and then some. never caught any cats here though, however they tell me there is blues and flatheads and channel cat. im fishing this spot tommarow. ill take a few more pic then. awesome set up.

Attached Files:

20. festus

festus New Member

Sounds like a great spot, Matt. My spot is just a couple hundred yards to deep water on a main river in the lake. What I like about it, if it's very windy on one side of the road, all I have to do is climb a small bank and set up on the opposite side of the road and it will be calmer. I should have gotten a photo of this spot when I was down there last week.