TDOT Salting Roads Already?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Dec 4, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I just heard via the radio that the TN Dept. of Transportation has their salt trucks out already up my way. Is their any snow forecasted for you folks in Middle TN and West TN? We're supposed to get only less than an inch of snow/rain mix tomorrow. The weathermen are usually wrong about 75% of the time on snow forecasts. Usually, whenever they salt the roads, we don't get any snow. Then, when the roads really need salted, TDOT has already used up all their salt. :roll_eyes: Oh, I guess it's better safe than sorry. Better get out and stock up on food. The bread and milk will be sold out before 5:00 pm, I suppose. :big_smile:

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah I read off of NOAA last night that depending on how that low pressure area tracks will indicate how much if any snow will fall.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep..Chance of snow late tonight..Winter storm advisory from midnight to 9 am..Forecast to get an inch of snow..

4. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Yall if that low tracks just right and theirs an abundance of precip to work with we may get a good snow. Time will tell though. I think 2-3" COULD fall.

5. festus

festus New Member

You guys always get the snow before we do up here if it's coming from the west. I have one mountain that blocks it off the plateau just a couple of miles away. We get our best snows up here sometimes when it's coming from the south.

6. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    It is coming from the south.. Its a gulf system.

7. festus

festus New Member

Anybody seen any white stuff yet? It's been cloudy all day, in the 40's. Right now it's still cloudy and 38 degrees. Kinda doubt if we'll get much here.

8. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Latest stats for my area is 34 and i saw a band of snow along the plateau just east of crossville and a good pocket driftin in from the southwest corner of tenn. I think it's gonna be interesting and I bet we'll wake up to a little bit in the morning. The new graphic for this situation showed 1-3" for the plateau and flurries with light accumulations in mid-tn.

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I think it is funny how you guys get a winter storm advisory..and all that jazz and are only forcasted 1 inch!!:smile2::smile2::wink:...we get 7-10 inches before we get an advisory/ warning...6 inches they will cancle school!!lol:wink:

10. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Here they do the better safe than sorry rule.. hence they think were not used to drivin in it so they issue early statements.

11. festus

festus New Member

AJ, I'm in the next county east of Crossville. Crossville is in Cumberland County, I'm in Morgan County. However, I'm in the far southeastern corner of Morgan County. Like I said, it usually fizzles out before it gets here.

12. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    By the way that band is moving it stretches from the north part of the state to alabama and is moving thru crossville or just past there now, should probably be there in an hr or so.

13. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, the local weather will be on TV in about 5 minutes. I live right on the very eastern edge of the plateau, about halfway to the top. If I drive 3 miles east, I'm off the plateau. If I drive about 3-4 miles west, I'm pretty much on top of the plateau. Elevation here is about 1090.

14. festus

festus New Member

Now they're saying it will get here about 3:00 am to 4:00 am EST. 80% chance.

15. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    The state of Tenn. waste more tax dollars on spreading the liquid salt on every little forecast of snow,:beat_brick: Hey tax payers we don't have for your your schools but we can spread liquid salt everytime a snow flurry is in the forecast.:angry:

16. festus

festus New Member

I take it the road crews must be getting some overtime for this, reckon? Maybe they're bored like many other government jobs and just want to do something. :roll_eyes:

Anyway, there are some really fine snowflakes coming down right now, however the ground isn't cold enough for it to stick. It's not even laying on my deck. 34 degrees.

17. festus

festus New Member

32 degrees now, with about 3/4" of snow. I don't remember how many years it's been since it's snowed this early...Looks like we may get more, I live at the tip of the arrow in the map. Anyone else get any?

18. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    send it up this way. It's snowing pretty good here at the moment. Always good to see the first snow of the season.

19. festus

festus New Member

We now have a little over an inch, but it's slowed considerably. Hope it doesn't turn to rain. I heard they got some around the KY, OH, and W VA borders, so it may be set in up your way.

And not a drop of snow has laid on the roads. Look like TDOT wasted a bunch of salt again

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009