Tcw3

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bobpaul, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I just thought I'd throw out a test question to see who reads and see who just post questions when they need answers.

Do not post quote from any other post. Answer in your own typed words please.

Question; What is the TCW3 additive?

Bubba, your requested not to answer please.

2. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Its a special detergent that doesn't produce and ash or varnish when burned and aids in clean burning to help the environment.

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Additive?

I thought it was a test of oil quality... that meets the TC-W3 requirements.
    Different TC-W3 oils have different additives.

But really all I do know is that it's required for my Yamaha... well not exactly... the manual says TC-W.. so I suppose TC-W3 is better?

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    TCW3 meets requirements/standards designed by outboard, 2 stroke motor manufacturers. Yamaha, OMC, Mercury etc designed this oil to work with gasoline formulas that would be potentially damaging to your outboard with regular 2 stroke oil. Search the net, you'll find the answers...

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Just as I thought, 1 didn't know, 1 did, and 1 said go search the net.
    It was posted here less than 2 weeks ago.

Thanks Olefin, I knew you read posts.

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    So does this mean i failed the test, teacher. LOL

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    No pass or fail here. I just wanted to point out that Bryan Schrum worked very hard on bringing a ton of info over from the old sight, and it wouldn't hurt for those with a problem to search right here.

I had well over 5000 posts at one time, and other than the ones that got me suspended, the largest percentage of them were to help with marine related problems.

Bryan did a great job, and I see it being ignored.

Thanks Bubba, for the assistance. You'll see what I mean in a couple yrs.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    :cat: :know-big:

Just glad to be here Bob.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Y'all done good,and you know it.No one can take that away from y'all.Please don;t give up on the ignorant masses.We need you.Thanks!peewee-williams

10. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Bob...Please do not dispare!!!

Alot of us READ much more than we ask!!

Most of the time I don't even know enough to ask questions !!

Hang in there Brother, you are a GREAT Assest to the BOC !!!!

11. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I read the board every day more than once. Your's and Bubba's help is greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure by many others too.

And I have learned a lot from reading the questions of others.

12. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Sorry for taking things for granted I have probably spent about 10,000 hours of my life on this board and I guess I still don't know how to use it properly. Can I be forgiven. I sometimes do the stupid thing like using a screwdriver for a chisel.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Gosh! I thought that everyone knew that a SCREWDRIVER is made to be used as a PRY BAR.I have to admit that the old fashion,wood handle with the full length iron tang makes a pretty good chisel.See why we need help?What this all boils down to,is that you don;t need us.We need you.That is why you and a lot more like you on the BOC,are there for us.Some people have never learned to let others down,or walk on by someone in need.You just cain;t help it.It is as much a part of you as breathing.I sure am glad and I thank you all.peewee-williams

14. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Thought I had better say this. I have posted a few times needing info. I got lots of great help at no charge. I am very grateful.

I don't know what TCW-3 stands for and I read the post. I am a fisherman and a boater. I learned that it means that is the only rating that I can use in my 2 strokes. I learned to use high quality and synthetic. I didn't print out the post, I thought that was all I needed. I have printed out a number of posts, I can't quote any of them. but I have them when I need them. I have used several, one on de-carboning and one on lower units. I learned to get the factory maintaince books, some things on carbs,although I still have a ways to go. What to do to an engine that has been sitting a long time, jack plates, and much more. Again I can't quote it.,but I have it on file and am very grateful for the knowledge that you share.

Jim

15. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't read all the posts, but I think, Jsharper, that you have it right in that TCW-3 is a standard that oil manufactures can meet (if they wish) by doing whatever they need.

In short .. it's a specification .. a standard that assures we users that their oil (whatever brand) meets or exceeds that certification level similar to the usage level standards in the oil you put in your truck.

We'll likely never know what the refiners put in the oil to make it conform to the TCW-3 spec and, trughtfully, we don't need to know .. that is does meet or exceed it is all that matters.

Beyond that ??? It's personal brand choice.

16. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Since you're on the subject BobPaul, who makes a good high grade TCW3 oil? Of course Tohatsu recommends Tohatsu, but is that really the best way to go? I read somewhere that different brands, even if they're both high grade can coagulate or something when mixed and stop your filter up, and I don't know what kind of oil they initially put in the motor. Guess I could call and find out......

17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    For an oil injected engine, I'd recommend a synthetic. Get a quality name brand and stick with it to avoid mixing brands. I've not seen any of the coagulation in the synthetics that can occur with the standard oils though.

Avoid oils with pictures of different machines on the bottle, chainsaws, lawnmowers, and outboards.

18. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i tries to give you a rep. bobpaul. i try to read all your post, and glad i read this one. i didnt think i had a oil issue. but when i read dont use the ones with different pictures on the front. when i saw the boat motor on the jug i thought it would be fine. as you know im new to boats, and i didnt think oil was that big of a deal, as long as it was for outboards. thanks for setting me straight.