Tchefuncte river - catfishing info

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by bakerboy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bakerboy

bakerboy New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I just joined this site and am looking for some info. I mostly fish saltwater during the year but conditions are not always great in the winter. Looking for any info on fishing the Tchefuncte river for big blues and flatheads. I believe there should be some big fish to catch in that river, but need some help on getting started. thanks.

2. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Welcome to BOC Alan!!!

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC Alan. Just look in the member Library and you will find more info than you can absorb in one day.

4. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC Alan, I've never fished there but they have to be their! Let us know how you do!

5. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Bakerboy,
    Welcome to the BOC. We fish primarily the Mississippi R. I cant even spell chufucti! We are in Baton Rouge area. You can follow our trips on the La Rivers thread.
    Good luck

6. Big Cracklin

Big Cracklin New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I just joined this site last night, and I thought I'd tell you that I just moved from Abita Springs to Pineville. I fished the Tchefuncte all the time from Jan. to about May when it was time to go to hopedale and mop up on specks (long live black bay). You can catch Cats on the south end of the river earlier then north up behind the hospital, but Just to let you know Alot of people dont like to fish above the hospital because of the "no wake zone" all the way north of the landing. My brother and I have cought some nice tabbys, ops, flats, what ever you want to call them on trot lines above the landing. The biggest was 52# and we've caught seveal in the 30's and 20's. Did I mention not a lot of pressure up there. Anyway I didn't do a lot of rodnreel fishin, but I have worked them over with trot lines.

7. bakerboy

bakerboy New Member

State:
    louisiana
    That is good to know. I guess you use live bait for the flatheads. I know once it is warm enough for the water skiers to come out I stay off the river. It is just to crazy out there.

8. kojock

kojock New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Bakerboy,

Big Cracklin is my brother and I know the area he is telling you about. The area upriver of the hospital landing varies from very shallow areas that are just barely deep enough to float your boat without grounding it to holes over 50 ft deep just a few feet away. There are a number or really deep holes in sharp bends in the river up against the banks. I believe my brothers were running trotlines near some of these really deep holes and, yes, they were using live bait to catch the Ops. They caught some really nice fish up on that end of the river a few years ago and I know there are still some giants hanging out in those deep holes. Need a decent depth finder to find and map out the holes but once you learn the area, you'll figure it out. Some of the areas up there are remote and kinda hard to get to because of downed trees. I haven't been on the river since before Katrina, so I don't know what it looks like these days, but even back then, you had to navigate downed trees and submerged trees, etc. Some areas were nearly impossible to get into with a big boat. They used a 14' john boat with a 20 hp motor to get around back there. The difficulty was what kept the pressure off of that area. If you do the work and learn the area, it will pay off. Good luck.

9. kojock

kojock New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    PS - Up on that end of the river, you'll never have to worry about a water skier. Too many trees and snakes. I saw more snakes on the Tchefuncte than every other body of water I've fished combined. It was normal to see cotton mouths or water snakes swimming by the boat with a keeper sized bream or sun perch sideways in their mouth that was still flopping around trying to get out. Prime fishing territory!! The snakes knew it, too.

10. bakerboy

bakerboy New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Thank you Big Cracklin and Kojock for all the info. That gives me a place to start. I live like 5 min away from Old Landing launch. It will be hard to reach some of the upper reaches I have a 18 ft bay boat but I have been able to navigate about 1-2 miles past the little park off of jachkne st on the little tchefuncte. Have not been up bouge falaya or the abita rivers after the storm. Have caught some nice blues in the flowers bayou area in the past. thanks again for the info.