Taylorsville lake catfishing

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by withone72, Feb 14, 2006.

1. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    anyone fish this lake for catfish. any suggestion on wrer to fish this lake or tailwaters.

2. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have fished the lake a couple of times and caught a few small channels. The second time I swore that I would never go back. I put in near Taylorsville and could not believe the pleasure boats. It took me over 2 hours to retrieve my boat at 11 PM on a week night. People were breaking in line and were basically rude. If I fish the lake again, it will be in the upper lake near the headwaters. The lower lake has too many Louisville pleasure boaters. From what I understand, the state stocked blues in the lake a couple of years ago. They should be a catchable size by now. This is supposed to be one of the best cat lakes in the state. I hope someone who fishes it often will chime in.
    Jra

3. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I fished the chowning lane area about 3 times. caught nothing but small ones. have you tried that area. jra

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I used to fish it quite a bit but the traffic is too much usually, but winter fishing is great. I usually fish out of possum ridge boat ramp, Ive talked to the older CO there and he was always talking catfish. Supposedly theres been some 50lb flats coming out of there.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I've never personally fished Taylorsville Lake, but I had an uncle that use to smoke the cats there. He often caught a lot of good sized ones. Mostly channels and flatheads. His prefered baits were either live gills or catalpa worms, since he had a pond and about a hundred catalpa trees. I'm pretty sure he would mostly fish the upper end of the lake, but he always fished off of a pontoon. I think he used to spend a lot of time in the mouths of coves and around the main channel. Vern

6. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    withone72, I have fished It one time at night and caught 2-12lbs. flatheads and lost a hog. It was getting under my boat and I put to much oressure on him trying to get him out and the hook pulled out. Btw, I was using circle hooks and that is the last time I used circle hooks. I fished the upper end at night and there was hardly any boats. I found a place where the channel came close to the bank and that is where I anchored. The moon was full and I didn't have any action till the clouds rolled in and in about 30 min. S**t started hitting the fan.There are plenty of shad in that lake so there shouldn't be a Problem with bait. Hope this helps...

7. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    withone72, I have fished It one time at night and caught 2-12lbs. flatheads and lost a hog. It was getting under my boat and I put to much oressure on him trying to get him out and the hook pulled out. Btw, I was using circle hooks and that is the last time I used circle hooks. I fished the upper end at night and there was hardly any boats. I found a place where the channel came close to the bank and that is where I anchored. The moon was full and I didn't have any action till the clouds rolled in and in about 30 min. S**t started hitting the fan.There are plenty of shad in that lake so there shouldn't be a Problem with bait. Hope this helps...

8. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Don't worry about trying the tailwater. It is maybe 50' to 60' wide! Times I had fished there, the water have a horrible smell to it.