Taylorsville Lake Catfishing

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hookeye, Jun 24, 2007.

1. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The catfishing has been real tough this year for the bank fisherman. Recent reports are that the Channels and Blues have been hanging out in open water areas 18ft and deeper. Most catches are on live minnows early morning just before and just after sun up.

2. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what area is good place to fish. do we need to find some deep water. I fish chow lane area, do we need to go down the lake some. i would like to catch some blues.

3. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello Darryl,
    I fish Chowning a lot myself. I have caught some decent Blues and Flatheads off of the big rock point as there is a channel bend about 200yds or so off of it. Usually on a large hook with a lot of crawlers on it or small live gills on the bottom with a slip sinker rig so I can leave my reel in free spool and they can run. I also like Van Buren, the water there is shallow but the main river channel runs through it and the shad are everywhere. I use a cast net around the dock and catch shad for cut bait.

4. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I forgot to mention that we just got back from Van Buren and did real well on the Channels using the cut Shad. They are coming off of the spawn and HUNGRY!

5. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hi ya Darel and Hookeye!! Glad to hear from you all and thinking about going to Timbercreek area soon to see if they are on that big flat like they were this time last year...I sure hope so and i will post again soon and let ya know how it turns out, mite even have some pics to show ya.

6. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello Jim,
    Good to hear from you. By all means keep us posted as I will continue to do the same. GOOD LUCK!

7. teambratcher

teambratcher New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    i HAVE FOUND OUT THAT THE CATFISH ARE ROAMING IN SCHOOLS ANYWHERE FROM 10 TO 20. i HAVE HAD THE BEST LUCK AROUND THE MAIN LAKE HEADING TOWARDS SALT RIVER. MANY MAY NOT BELIEVE IT BUT I HAVE BEEN USING A 1OZ BASS JIG WITH A POWERBAIT CRAWL. PITCHING ON DROP OFFS ANYWHERE FROM 10 TO 42 FOOT. MAINLY THE BEST LUCK HAS CAME FROM 20 TO 36 FEET. THE FISH SEEM TO BE HOLDING OFF THE SHORES A BIT DUE TO THE BOAT TRAFFIC CRASHING THE BANKS. THE FISH HIT ABOUT MID DAY IN THE DEEPER WATER AND ALL HAVE BEEN 5+ POUNDS. ALSO TAKING A #5 SHAD RAP WITH A 3FT LEADER AND TROLLING IT WITH A 1/2OZ SINKER WITH A SWIVLE KEEP THE SINKER ABOUT 2FT OFF BOTTEM AND THEY ARE SLAMMING IT. COLOR DOES NOT MATTER TO THEM AT THOSE DEEPTHS IS ALL ABOUT VIBRATION. SO I USE 12 TO 15 POUND TEST LINE SO IT GIVE THE LURE MORE ACTION.

8. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey, thanks Tony and welcome to the BOC. This is a great place to meet and learn from others who enjoy our sport.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I havent fished at Tville for quite awhile, but I have caught a few from Possum Ridge boat ramp. Just go to the left and launch your bait.

10. blugill79

blugill79 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thinking about bank fishing at taylorsville lake. I just don't know where to go. I want to purchase the lake map so I have an idea. Where can you catch shad with a cast net on taylorsville? Planning on heading out here in about a hour. Any ideas all?

11. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Gill,
    I apologize, I have been out of town and just read your question. I hope you were able to locate some Shad on your trip out. I usually get em around the boat docks or directly off of the ramps. The ramps are a great place because the sun light causes the algae to grow on the concrete which draws them in to feed.

12. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am planning to go over to the Lake today. I will spend a couple of hours there this morning and then return tonight. I will let you all know how it turns out.Wish me luck!

13. blugill79

blugill79 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the info on where to get cast net for shad. I have to admit I think Taylorsville lake is best fished from a boat. Finally going to get mine next month. Than comes the task of getting it ready to fish cats.

Than the fun will begin!

14. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There is no doubt that having a boat on that body of water is a big advantage. There are some humps out in the lake that used to produce some real nice catches. I do not own a boat right now myself. I have a buddy who is in his early seventies and up till last year we used to go out on his a lot.

15. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    OOPS,
    I forgot to mention, plans of going out yesterday got derailed by the family.

16. catfish assassin

catfish assassin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    has anyone had any luck at van buren in the last week or so

17. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am sorry to say this but i have not made it to Taylorsville Lake yet this summer but planning to go this weekend for sure...My health keeps me from fishing as much as i like to with all this Hotttttt weather we are having...If anyong gets down there and can give me some info where to start catfishing please let me know, i would appr. it very much... Looking for some channel cats mostly...Good luck everyone and be Boat Safe!!:roll_eyes:

18. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    If it was me I would concentrate on the area around Van Buren and the mouth of Salt River. But always try to follow the bait fish as the cats won't be far.

19. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Caught this Blue and 4 smaller ones 2lb or so avg at Van Buren last Tuesday. Blue cat.jpg

20. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Now that is a Large fish ya got there at Van Buren...wtggggg on that one and i will probably goto Van Buren this weekend, ty again for all info..:cool2: