taylorsville dam

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by david.lay25, Sep 10, 2008.

1. david.lay25

david.lay25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    caught a nice channel today around 6 pounds ,real close to the house wondering if anyone had any pointers on damn fishing.

2. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio

ive fished that dam all my life. pm me for some tips.

3. david.lay25

david.lay25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    went back again this afternoon for 2 hours, caught a 10 lbs channel on live bluegill tryed to take a pic and my camrea batteries went dead. also caught a smaller cat didnt way it tho.just looks like a good place to catch flatheads.

4. Katslayeroh

Katslayeroh New Member

State:
    ohio
    Any way i can have directions to the dam?

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a nice fish, and good luck in the future

6. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nice job.
    Is this taylorsville dam a lake or river?? Is it worth driven 2 hours to fish??

7. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    not worth driving 2 hours thats for sure .

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah is the dam on a river or lake? lake dams and river dams can be totally different and definately take different strategies to fish them. If I knew which it was maybe I could help you out a little bit

9. david.lay25

david.lay25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    its in the great miami river, thanks for any help

10. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Deeper holes below low heads will usually harbor the bigger fish. Around riverscape they are among the boulders and up to the dam as well as the deeper water. During the day we do better in the boulders earlier in the day in the deeper pool. Would like to check that spot out myself sometime. Congrats on a nice fish!

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on a very nice channel!!

12. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i found this old thread and i was curious if any southwest ohio guys have ever heard of any decent size flats coming from the dam? it always looked good and it would be a cool place to catch a nice Flattie. ive always caught channel cats, smallies and saugeye. I would think it would have to hold a least a few nice fish since its the deepest water in miles on that stretch of river and theres usually some structure stuck there.

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think I heard of a small flathead being taken there but as you know, that far up the GMR there are hardly any flatties, best bet for those guys is to stay well below Dayton, just too many dams in the way to stop upstream migration.

The whole upper GMR and Stillwater River offers some real nice channels , just fish about anywhere you can access and you should be able to find some channel cats.

Salmonid

14. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah, that dam is too far up, not worth the time in my opinion, your better off keeping it further south. i've tried it back in the day and never caught anything there.

15. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    id like to see the flatties spread into the upper gmr and stillwater personally. they havent affected fishing for other species in the lower part of the river so i know they wouldnt cause any harm. i talked to a DNR officer personally and he said they shocked up multiple flats over 20 pounds the last time they shocked at the dam. maybe with a little relocation effort from the southern part of the river they could thrive. theyre too populated in the lower portion like others have said before.