Taylorsville Catfish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KyRiverCats, Jul 12, 2006.

1. KyRiverCats

KyRiverCats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Went to Taylorsville last night after the rain. We fished the lower area of the lake and just got home a few minutes ago. We caught channel cats and blue cats up to 7 pounds all night and ended up with a boat full. They were still biting like crazy when we left. Looks like I'm not going to be able to get in bed before noon because I've got a lot of fish cleaning to do. We used a homemade wheaties based bait on our jugs and mostly nightcrawlers and crawfish on our reels. My son had two to break off before we could even see them. Looks like the rain really turned them on last night.

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Taylorsville is a underrated catfish lake, but theres no way Im going out there anymore during the summer.

3. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have fished the upper end of the lake (Van Buren) a few times this summer. I caught a lot of smaller cats up to three pounds and a mixture of Channels and Blues. Once these Blues have a few more years to grow, this could be a fantastic fishery. I caught the channels in the wood on nightcrawlers and the blues drifting on the 6'-10' flats with cut bait. I did it during the day from about 5:30 AM to 1 PM. Not only is Van Buren closer for me, but it also in a no ski zone. The wood and shallow water tends to keep the pleasure people away. I put in once at the marina ramp and swore I would never do it again. It took me 2 hours to load up my boat at 10 PM at night. People were breaking in line, stowing away gear on the ramp --- you know the story. The only problem I ever had at Van Buren was from a bunch of kayakers who decided to prep their boats on the ramp and take the whole (two lane) ramp to do it.
    Not to offend anyone, but I wish the state would classify catfish as a gamefish and put creel limits on the fish. I spoke to one guy who had over 100 blues in his boat. Or, maybe we could have a slot limit that would allow only one cat above a certain size (say 20"). The only way we are going to have trophy fishing in that lake is if we limit our harvests of the larger fish.

4. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I havent been to van buren in years. Last time I was there the bugs were so thick you could barely keep your eyes open without getting them in your eyes. Id love to see cats become a game fish species but doubt it will ever happen.:sad2:

5. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well i am goin to Taylorsville this upcoming weekend. 7/15/06 and hope to see a few channels in my little alum. boat to eat. Haven't even had my first fish fry this year and it's about time. Been fishing at Guist Creek in Shelbyville where i live and now i am ready for a change and i will be going to Van Buren. Wish me luck guys and gals. About 5 nice 3 pounders would be great for my frying pan. If anyone can send me to a perticular spot they had luck at up there let me know and thanks and good fishin.....Shanadoia

6. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ky rivercats is the lower part of the lake by chowning lane boat ramp. I sure would like catch a few cats .I might go tommorrow night. Can u help out with some info. thanks Darry

7. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Went to taylorsville last night and caught 3 channel,2 blues.fished the tail waters.they were pulling alot of water til about 10:30. The fish stop biting so i stoped fishing. maybe i should have stayed longer.3 hours of fishing and caught 5 ,not bad.

8. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good to hear from someone fishing Taylorsville. I hope to find someone to chat with about the lake. Where do you live, is it in Spencer Co.?? I live in Shelbyville... Send me a private message if you are interested in relaying news to each other about T- Lake and it will help us both.

9. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Went to taylorsville lake last night didnt get a bite,so can someone please point me in the right direction.I don't know were to start fishing out of my boat.ky rivercat what area did u fish. what is the best boat ramp to launch out of. any help guys.

10. KyRiverCats

KyRiverCats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I only fish out of Van Buren. Go down the lake and pick out just about any bay or creek that has standing timber. This time of the year, the lake is full of fish hatchlings. I think you would do best with liver.

11. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Went to taylorsville lake last night,didn't get a bite.went out in the boat.Can someone please point me in the right direction, I need help. I just started to fish out of a boat. ky rivercat what ramp did u launch from.

12. adam7456

adam7456 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been to Taylorsville several times this year but haven't had much luck compared to last year. Last time I was there was mid June and I caught one small catfish. I'm hoping to get back there a lot more soon.

13. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anyone know of a good spot to do some bank fishing at Taylorsville?

14. KyRiverCats

KyRiverCats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You can fish from the bank at the parking lot at the Van Buren ramp but there's no shade. If you go in the daytime, you'll burn up unless you have some big umbrellas,

15. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'll just have to cake on the sunscreen, lol. Thanks for the tip!

16. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    When I fished at Taylorsville I would go to the Possurm Ridge boat ramp, it might me the state ramp now not sure. Park in the parking lot and hike to the left of the ramp. Theres a little cove that I can usually catch fish at, also a little shade. If Im in a boat I like to just find some wood sticking up and fish straight down, will also use a bobber. The rip rap areas can be good too.

17. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Does anyone know how to get to van buren from bluegrass parkway. I would like to try it out.

18. KyRiverCats

KyRiverCats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Take Highway 53 north from the parkway to US 62. Turn left on 62 and go to Highway 248 and turn right. Stay on 248, you will cross a bridge over the lake and then turn left onto the next paved road. That road dead ends at the ramp.

19. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks ky rivercat. I think i will try it out tonight.

20. KyRiverCats

KyRiverCats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you go, take lots of chicken liver and use hooks no larger than a size 2. I've caught several there but they tend to run small. I have caught the occasional good fish there too.