taxidermy

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by lforet2002, Sep 11, 2009.

1. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've looked into this and it is very difficult to do a skin mount on a catfish..Most catfish mounts are replicas..I have no problem with that..Most of these replica mounts use a picture and measurements of your fish to make a replica..Most charge by the inch anywhere from 8 bucks to 11 bucks an inch so your probably looking @ around 250..

2. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    around here, the average is $9 per inch

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    A possible alternative method would be to get a replica mount of the head only coming out of some piece of structure (driftwood, imitation rocks, etc.) and have a picture of you with the original catch as part of the set up. That is a possibility that may just save you a few $$$. It is best to talk over your options with a few taxidermists to get some ideas of what they will and will not do for you. Hope this helps a little.

Ray

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...how much would a repicla mount of a 30in by 16in channel cat cost me? thanks..."

The gong rate is $10-$12 for a quality replica.

$11 per inch = $330.00

5. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    As a fulltime taxidermist I would strongly suggest a replica, for any catfish. You have options with this. Seeing how I specialize in fish, I charge $15.00 per inch up to 30", from 30" up it is $13.00 per inch. I specialize in quality, not quanity. BUT...if you want a cheap replica, you can order one yourself ready to hang on the wall for $7.95 per inch plus crateing and shipping, from a company in Florida. But thats what your getting is a cheap replica. Only has one eye, back is not finished, flashing from the seam/mold looks terrible. In other words, check around before you just jump the gun. Talk to several taxidermist and even get referrals if you can. It's your money, it's your replica. You want the best for your money.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ditto! you get what you pay for.