Taxidermy cost

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by FISHSKINNER, Nov 16, 2008.

1. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    What are yall paying for a whitetail shoulder mount

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Fella I use runs $200-$400 depending, I'm never in a hurry either and that will usually get ya a little extra (from him any way) some expect to have it returned the next week ya know, LOL. Then they are NEVER happy, and if ya ask them they have been to every one in 100 miles, LOL.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
  4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Around here the average cost is $350-425. This should give you a beautiful mount that will last you a lifetime. Definently check out his work before committing to his work on your mount. Ask around. Heck my distant cousin charges $650 for a shoulder mount deer, but he is a world champion Taxidermist. He is proud of his work and the prices he charges show it! LOL! Don't tell him, but I take my work to someone that is a little cheaper, but the results are the same. Anyhow, he's a good friend of mine too.

5. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    mines settin me back 445

6. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    The last one I had done was $240 and the guy did a really good job he was just slow because he didn't do it full-time. The guy we used before him charged between $275-$325 and you would get it back in about 3 weeks. At the time he was the one of the best taxidermists in N.C.

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    265 here i do belive

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We paid 250 last year but this year it is 275 but I must say this guy is the best I have ever seen. I know a few guys taking all of there old mounts to this guy to have them re done he is so good. Some of these mounts they just had done in the last couple of years. He is just that good, and for $ 275 compared to 300 and 500 dollars, thats why he is so busy.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We don't have one close here,I think the last was a pronghorn my son had done,375.00 I wish I could talk me into doing it,I think personally that the prices are too high. I have catalogs from taxidermy supply outfits ,and the maniquins are pretty cheap.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    My cousin is charging $275 now for a full shoulder mount.

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    about 4 and a quarter here

12. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Cost me about 6 feet of romax electric wire, wrap the wire around a tree ( to keep the critters from dragging it away) then around the antlers and let the bugs do the rest, next spring they're bleach white and get hung on the wall of fame, back wall on the barn.
    IF I remember I'll take a pic next time I'm out and post it.

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If I ever kill one big enough I will post the price !:wink::big_smile:

14. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Did the math, deer mounts;
    Low $265.00
    High, $650.00
    Average Cost $370.00

15. kattysharks

kattysharks New Member

State:
    California
    good analysis

16. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    mine was $325.00, and that came with him processing the meat for me..but we are good friends:wink:

17. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    From a taxidermist point of view. Theres no "good" money in a deer shoulder mount. Lets compare a deer with a fish and see what happens....

Supplies for a deer shoulder mount
    Form - 47.00 shipping JUST for the form because box is oversized, $18.00
    Panel - $25.00
    eyes - $12.00 (excellent quality)
    ear liners - $8.00
    Paint, Hide paste, shop supplies - $10.00 -$15.00 we'll say $12.00
    Chemicals for in house tanning - $15.00 (sending to tannery $45.00 plus shiping to and from)

Shipping charges(minus form shipping cost) $15.00

Total in material including shipping, $152.00
    This does not include electricity, rent, water, gas, annual license from the county, state and federal.

Now heres the kicker!
    I charge $350.00 without a panel or $400.00 with a panel. Since I add the panel in the cost we will go with the $400.00 figure

Cost - $400.00 this is for a tanned mount with high quality form, eyes, and ear liners.
    Materials - $152.00
    Profit - $248.00

I average 15 hours on a deer head from start to finish that equals, $16.53 per hour. Out of that $16.53 per hour I have to pay my taxes(roughly $5.75). Now Im down to $10.78 an hour! Thank the good lord my wife has excellent health insurance. Oh, we must remember rent,electric, gas, phone. Along with mechanical break downs that have to be replaced.

When its all said and done, I bet I dont make $8.00 per hour on a deer head.

(side note - the 15 hours involved with a deer mount is spread out over 1.5-2 weeks)

Now a Fish is much different. Less than $25.00 in materials and 6 hours labor. I charge $10.00 per inch. So figure a 26" long large mouth bass x's $10.00 per inch is $260.00 minus materials = $235.00. Now we are at $39.00 per hour.

(side note - the 6 hours is spread out over 1 week)

Beleive it or not, you can get a deer shoulder form CHEAPER than many of the lifesize critters, coyote, bobcat, fox, beaver etc.

I think you can see why I LOVE and specialize working with fish and hate working with deer heads. But in this business you have to do it all or eat bologna all the time...lol

~Teddy

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think the guy I use charged $250.oo 3yrs. ago. I do antler mounts myself. With package from Wally world.

19. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    The big ten I had done two years ago cost me 370. The cost can go from 300 to 550, just depands on were you take it.