TAWAKONI THIS MORNING

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Luke Clayton, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    LUKE CLAYTON HERE. I, FELLOW OUTDOORS WRITER BOB HOOD AND 8 FRIENDS WERE AT TAWAKONI THIS MORNING FISHING FROM 3 BOATS, USING MAGIC BAITS NEW PUNCH BAIT "STICK IT" IN WATER 3 TO 3.5 FEET DEEP CLOSE TO SHORE IN AREAS WITH HEAVY WILLOWS. USED CORKS, SET TO KEEP BAIT JUST UP FROM BOTTOM. NO BIG FISH BUT STEADY ACTION ON CHANNELS IN THE 15-18 INCH RANGE.... GOOD EATNG!
    I LEFT HOOD AND MY BUDDIES FISHING, HAD TO GET BACK HOME FOR AN ARTICLE DEADLINE. George Rule was fishing the same kind of cover and had 90 in the boat at 10:30.., also using STICK IT.. Fish should remain shallow a week or two longer, then we'll follow them out to 15-20 feet. Baiting with soured grain is highly effective right now and will remain so. Good fishing to you.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Sounds like a fun trip for catching some freezer fish. Great post Luke.

3. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    LOTS OF FAST ACTION, BRYAN BUT AS MENTIONED, THESE ARE 'FRYER' CATFISH, NOTHING LIKE YOU TARGET ON THE CUBMERLAND..I DO HAVE A WEAKNESS FOR WATCHING A CORK GO UNDER, THOUGH! I

4. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    LOTS OF FAST ACTION, BRYAN BUT AS MENTIONED, THESE ARE 'FRYER' CATFISH, NOTHING LIKE YOU TARGET ON THE CUBMERLAND..I DO HAVE A WEAKNESS FOR WATCHING A CORK GO UNDER, THOUGH! I was using a light spinning rig and the fish were tight to the willows. Had to get their heads up out of the cover fast!! Catfishing sure is fun. My buddies are still camped there at Tawakoni.. Might just have to head back that direction around sundown... I feel a fish fry about to happen!

5. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Where can I find Stick It bait at? I live near Lake Tawakoni.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I dont think its out yet, Magic Bait is still testing it out!!!

7. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    THE FOLKS AT MAGIC BAIT ADVISED ME, AND THE TEAM OF GUIDES WE HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH TO MAKE THE BEST PUNCH BAIT ON THE MARKET, THAT IT WILL BE OUT IN A MATTER OF WEEKS. i'VE THROUGHLY ENOYED WORKING WITH THESE FOLKS TO DEVELOPE THE BAIT. NO STONE HAS BEEN LEFT UNTURNED IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF STICK IT...THE STUFF STAYS ON THE HOOK DURING CASTS AND WHEN FISHING VERTICALLY UNDER THE BOAT AND, IT'S HAD A RICH COLOR WITH LOTS OF 'GOODIES' BUILT IN TO ATTRACT AND CATCH CATFISH. THE TEAM OF PRO GUIDES COULD NOT AFFORD TO USE IT IF IT DIDN'T PRODUCE FOR THEM. IT DOES!!!!

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Sounds like a nice trip :) "Fryer fish" fill the freezer and the fast action gets the adrenaline going :)

I've got a weakness for watching that cork go under too. I actually do a lot of my fishing for channel cat with just a fiberglass pole. I think they call it a bream buster or crappie buster or crappie magic pole or some such... just a fiberglass scoping cane pole. I'll tell you what... there's nothing like fighting a channel cat on that limber thing. I took the boys to Calaveras last spring. I brought along 3 poles for us and they brought their rod-n-reels. It didn't take but 2 or 3 times with me wrestling a fish on that limber pole and they both switched over hehe. Of course then the ribbing was on when one of them would hang a good sized fish and put two hands on their pole... me and the other one would start in on them about cheating using two hands :wink: Fun times. Now, when we go out, they'll still bring their rods... but they always start with that fiberglass pole :smile2:

9. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like yall had some fun. We need pictures though. It's just an advertisment without pics..lol

I'll look for it when it comes out. I cant imagine anything working better then Danny Kings though. It'd be nice to have a plan B bait.

10. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wasn't written as an advertisemet. Just sharing a few facts that has the potential to help folks catch catfish just as we did. I belive the fish could have been caught on any good catfish bait that stayed on the hook well. They were working at getting it off pretty hard! You've heard of a BANKERS HOLIDAY? Well, when a few old outdoor writers get out and fish just for fun, we leave our working tooks (cameras) at home. Feel free to check out past articles of mine that are hosted here for pictures, you will see plenty of them accompanying my articles. Writing articles, as much as I love outdoor writing, Is work! This trip was all about having fun. Luke Clayton