Tawakoni Lake Fish Report - Texas

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catalack, Nov 8, 2005.

1. catalack

catalack New Member

Got out to Lake Tawakoni last Sunday. Caught 3 fairly nice blues in 18' to 20' of water. The biggest was 11 pounds. Used cut shad and shad gizzards. :)

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Good job there, catalack. I've been working on our trailer and have not had any time to get out there. But when I do, I'm gonna let you know so we can hook up.

3. catalack

catalack New Member

Sounds like a plan to me. With the temp dropping the fishing should start to pick up some. Good luck with the trailer project.

4. dram_ram

dram_ram New Member

State:
    texas
    im still learning to b a great cat fisherman what part of tawakoni u fishing at

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Tim, we fish at or near Wind Point Park.... When the water is up the bank or peir fishin' is pretty good. The camping is nice, not alot of loud drunk folks go there... Mostly just fishin and family visit or stay there. It was a State Park at one time. I hear the New State Park is a nice place to bank fish also.. Not sure where it is though...

Where do you fish at ?

6. dram_ram

dram_ram New Member

State:
    texas
    I've been going to Cedar Creek but haven't had much luck. I'm still learning catfish habits right now. Any fishing tips you'd like to share?

7. kodys'papa

kodys'papa New Member

State:
    texas
    we jug a lot at or near finger point, cleaned 19 christmas day and 35 total between christmas day and new years' day- all on weenies

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Cloy, Welcome aboard ! It's good to see we are getting more Texas Boys on here. I'm excited to see someone from the Tawakoni area. How long ya been fishin' there ? I just love that lake. Just about got my Jon boat fully ready to go. I've been doing a lot of bank fishin' there over the years. Can't wait to get out on the water in the Jon.

I don't jug fish, but, would like to know how deep do ya fish those jugs ? What is your main type of bait ?

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Went out Sat. morning with my son and fishin' buddy and caught 7 total all on Danny King (Blood) Punch Bait. All keepers except one. But that's a good thing. My buddy CPR'd a 19.9 lbs. Blue Cat. This is his very best ever. See picture on my other post on T-Bone's Jon Boat Project.
    We fished in 2 to 4 ft. of water most of the time. Moved out to about 10 ft of water near a water turkey roost. As soon as we pulled up and I was tieing off to a tree,Martin pitched out by the tree and it was on. I think that fish must of been just under the water. Great fight and fun to watch.

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
  11. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    T-Bone, were you fishing? I have not been out in awhile.

12. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Tim, yea I guess you could say I was fishing. I only caught one lil dink. My son got 3 and my buddy in the pic got 3. 38lbs. total fish caught. Kinda slow, but that last one made the trip worth while. Only two ramps are open right now. The one we used was not open but the ol'boy that runs the place said we could give it a shot. I bout messed my pants, when I pulled the boat out after the trip. That ramp is way out of the water. I stalled the truck and it didn't want to crank. Said a lil prayer and when she fired up, I dumped the clutch and slung mud everywhere and got'er out.

13. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I know what you mean about the lake. I was down there seeing family a few weeks back and it is the lowest I have ever seen it and I lived down there for 15 years.

Anyways, I was not poking at you with the "were you fishing" That was a typeo. I was trying to type where were you fishing?

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Out of Wind Point Park. Man the ramp was like a Robbie Kanevil (sp) bike jump ramp. I'm talkin' more than a 45 degree angle. It was a wild ride getting the boat in and out of the water. We where out near the river on the west side of the park.

15. kodys'papa

kodys'papa New Member

State:
    texas
    we set the jugs over the holidays near finger point in 18 to 20 feet we did chum some with range cubes but caught the fish on weenies

16. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Went out Sat. the 21st. Caught 8 with the biggest being about 3lbs. Had to walk the jon boat out a bit to be able to go fishing. The ramp is all the way out of the water at Wind Point Park. We backed down as far as we could, the rear of the boat floated a lil bit, pushed it off the trailer and walked out in the water and got in. Kinda cold, but this is the only way to go fishing by boat there. I've heard from two different folks that a lady caught a 53 lb. blue on Monday the 16th. by Rod and Reel. Anybody else hear about this fish ?

17. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    What boat ramps are still accessable at Lake Taw. How far down is the lake.

18. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hello Carl, Welcome to the BOC ! As of last weekend only two ramps were open. White Point off of the 751 bridge. and a ramp near the dam off of State hwy 47 , since this lil rain we got on Sat. you may ? find a few more open. Best to call before you go, the lake is down more than it's ever been. I've talked to a few ol' timers out there and they tell me it's Never been this low.

19. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    Who can I call to find out what boat ramps are open!!!! I live in Fredericksburg it's a long haul to get there and not know where we can put in!!!

20. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Duck Cove Marina 903-447-3130 is just south of one of the two ramps that were still open (a few weeks ago).
    Also try : Holiday Marina 903-560-0630 they are the closest to the other open ramp by the dam.
    I've got a feelin' that these two may close soon if not already:0a4:
    It's really low right now. The water was about 30 yards away from the bank on the north end of the lake. People were driving down the boat ramp and then driving on the lake bottom to find a fishing spot (from the bank). Looked like the coast or something.