Tautog aka blackfish

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Blacky, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    During the months of October to April when the flatheads are not biting, I switch to my favorite saltwater fish. Tautog or blackfish are very much alike flatheads. Both are structure oriented fish. Both require the same tackle (7'6 ft rod with conventional reel and 60lb braid). And both are really good to eat. crabs are the best bait and mid winter is the best time. Here's some form this spring and fall.

2. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice Tog! I fished for them in the early 80's at Barnegat Light inlet in Jersey.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Blacky - Nice pics! I also fish for other species during the off cat months. Thanks for posting, keep up the good work!

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    There was at thread on a kayak fishing forum I visit about the Tog. Sounds like my kind of fish, one you can catch, eat, and not be made to feel guilty for doing so like with largemouth bass.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

How sharp of a hook do you need to penetrate that jaw? Mna that thing just looks like a fighter. Congrats. I did a little reading and found out that the 1st and 2nd pics look like female and the 3rd looks like a male with the big jowls. But they still look like a fighter.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

IMAGINE A THE FIGHT OF A BLUEGILL THAT SIZE.

Yes, the browns ones are females and the gray one's with the white chin are males.

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Nice Tautog right there bro, Its nice to see what everyone else catches during thier off season.

WHeelmobile07

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thems some nice togs good eating to:big_smile:

9. 1fishhead

1fishhead New Member

State:
    ky
    looks like this tog is smiling:big_smile:

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice fish! I've seen 'em caught around me before, but never that big.

But hey, if the flatties aren't biting this time of year, you might want to check into the blues. There is never an offseason for cattin'.

11. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas

why do you feel guilty about eating largemouth?

12. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    nice fish, they look like a cross between a bass, drum, carp and shiner.:big_smile:
    tight lines

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    They're actually more of a prehistoric fish. They are a member of the wrasse family. They grow very slow. The big fish in my post (16lbs) was estimated at 80 yrs old. It was released!!!! Fish that big are trophy fish. Many people never get a fish over 12lbs in thier lifetime. To find these fish, you must fish tight to rockpiles or in wrecks.

thanks for all the comments and glad you guys enjoyed it.