TAURUS PT140 NOT FIRING

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by FISHSKINNER, Jun 30, 2009.

1. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    Hey I have a brand new Taurus PT140 that fails to fire about half of the time. It looks like the firing pin is not hitting hard enough. Have any of you had the same trouble and is there an easy way to fix it without sending it to the factory

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The first thing I would do is degrease the firing pin main spring,Just a little too much grease will hamper the snap. I'm not familiar with this weapon,if its a revolver ,simple,if its an auto,you might need to remove the slide to get in the nooks and cranny's. Good luck mike.

PS,if you are adept to removing the spring ,you can streach it just a bit to give it more tension. but if not ,take it to a competant gunsmith.

3. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Like 223 said I would try stripping it down and giving it a good cleaning and making sure all the grease and cosmoline, if any, is removed and maybe try a different brand of ammo just to make sure you didn't get a bad run of ammo. I know the latter is not likely to happen, but then again I know alot stranger things have happened. If that doesn't work send it back to Taurus, they have a lifetime warranty and from what I have been told by a local gunstore owner here, they have some of the best customer service and quickest turn around time of anybody.

4. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Some autos can be real picky about what they like or don't.

:cool2:

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It could be several things being that it's a new gun. I'd send it back to the factory if it's acting like this straight out of the box, or at least take it to a qualified armorer.

Some of the points listed already that it could be have already been hit on. There are some more items that it could be also. As far as the firing pin spring being clogged with too much grease, that's possible and I've seen it on new guns, but not often. However, that's a part of the gun that's not intended to be taken apart by other than a qualified armorer, or it will void your warranty.

There are other things also that can be causing the problem, the most probable is that the slide is not going all the way in to battery (closing all the way). This is actually very common and yes, the gun will fire without it being fully into battery. If the slide is closed enough for the striker or firing pin to be released, but not completely locked into place, then the firing pin or striker can not strike the primer with all the force intended.

Causes can be numerous like:
    1) Weak or defective recoil spring- not enough power to force the slide all the way into battery when it returns while stripping the fresh round out of the magazine.

2) Dry slide or too much oil/grease-both of these will cause the slide to run slower and possibly not go all the way into battery. I've found on brand new guns, some brands more than others, that you need to have an ample supply of oil on the slide raceways to give enough lubricant for the slide to move freely until the metal parts have worked together and settled in. My Sig 229 is a perfect example. For the first 500 rounds, I had to put about 5 drops of oil on the slide grooves every 200 rounds or so. Now it only needs a couple after cleaning and runs fine. I never use grease on the slide rails as it is thicker and attracts more grime, dirt, and powder residue, making it even thicker yet.

3) If you're not using a firm grip and the frame is moving with the recoil, then this can keep the slide from moving all the way rearward so it doesn't have a full run back to go back into battery. I've seen this very prevelently with the polimer frame autos. The guns with the polimer frame seem to need a more firm grip to keep the frame solid so the slide has a solid platform to work against.

If the gun is dry or there's factory grease in the slide rails, clean it out and give it a few drops of oil then try it again. Also use a good firm grip as I think the gun you're talking about has a polimer frame. If this still doesn't work, send it to the factory or take it to a qualified armorer to check the firing pin/stiker and spring.

Good luck.

6. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Disassemble the gun and degrease everything.
    Oil all parts and reassemble. Extra oil on slid.
    Disassemble after 200 rounds, check for wear.
    Oil all parts and reassemble. Extra oil on slid.
    Guns should be disassembled after 400 rounds
    for a complete clean out. I use a brake cleaner spray,
    brass brush and air. Wipe parts and apply Rem Oil.
    Taurus 81 and 605 revolvers, 400 to 500 rounds
    per weekend shoot. You'd be surprized at all the
    crap that comes out of the guns.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There is a problem with the brake part cleaner, which is also basically the same as gun scrubber. They did some clinical tests and discovered that it soakes into the skin and into the bloodstream and can cause liver damage. I've stopped using it long ago after finding that out.

I've been using the "Slip 2000" products, both cleaning and lubricants, for the last 6 years and they work as good as the other cleaners and the lubes are the slickest I've used. They're also all natural with no teflons or petrolium products. You can drink this stuff and it won't hurt you or your kids if they get ahold of it. The lube also has no odor, so I like that during hunting season. It cost a little more and I'm about out, so I gotta spring for a restock. Thanks for reminding me, lol.

8. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    What type of ammo are you using? If you use some reloads or foreign brands , they could be using a hard primer.