Taurus 45 acp

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Naack, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Been looking into getting a Taurus 45 apc 24/7 Pro for home protection and when im out fishing, i just wanted to have some input on what you guys think of the 45 for home protection and the quality of the taurus.

Any input would help... Thanks.

2. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Taurus had a bad reputation due to some shoddy craftsmanship on their firearms for many years. Those bugs seem to have been worked out over the last 7-10 years though. I own two 24/7s, one in 40S&W and one in 9mm, and both have been fantastic to me. I don't care much for the trigger, it's a long pull, but as far as performance and reliability, you could do a whole lot worse. They're fine guns, easy to take apart and clean.

As far as home protection is concerned, you won't find me with anything other than my Glock 29 10mm, but that's just me. I shoot it better than any other handgun that I own, it's never failed me, so that's what I stick with. The trick is to find what works for you.

3. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    i was in the military for a good while among other things i was a small arms repair'er i have fired pretty much every weapon the Army has i was very effeciant with the bretta 9mm but the slides on those will get worn fairly easly in my experance and i wanted to have alittle more stoping power than a 9mm so thats why i was looking at the 45 , im not to concerned on the long trigger pull i do have 2 small children and it will be locked up 99% of the time when at home :smile2:

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Though I am very fond of the 10mm, it is prone to over penetration and that is not good for home protection. The best home protection is a single shot 12 gauge with bird shot. Lot's of noise, bright flash and low penetration. The .45 is however, the best all around caliber for handguns; 100% one shot stops according to FBI statistics. It is effective because it does not over penetrate, thus putting all it's energy into the target. One center of mass hit and you can get 911 on the way.:wink: If a wife, who is not an experienced shooter is involved, then a .38 caliber revolver is the way to go. Don't know why, but first shot down range by a female with a .38 revolver is almost 100% of the time center of mass. Hope this helps. By the way, if you live where cold weather and heavy clothing is an issue, Federal Hydro Shock ammo is the way to go, it will still expand after penetrating multiple layers of clothing, thus giving you a wound channel of 3/4 to 1 inch where a lot of hollow points will pack full and become no better than solid ball ammo. Fine for war, where the goal is to inflict wounds and obey the rules, that take more than one person out of the battle, but at home we want one story told in court, ours.

By the way, thank you for your service to our country. I was Vietnam era, so I did not hear a lot of thanks, made myself a promise to be better about this should war time service come again. Sadly, it has. You are appreciated,

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Sorry, I get carried away with the sentiments sometimes and I wanted to address the Taurus. I carried a PT945 as a service weapon for years. That thing was so nice a flat, it made a small of the back carry almost painless. It never let me down. Besides, that .45 hole in a stainless barrel looks like a 105mm when it is pointed at your head. What ever you get, check the fit. This is the most important factor. Training=accuracy, Fit and training=fast deadly accuracy. Former military personnel tend to get satisfied with an ok fit, because it is the way the military has to work. The sniper weapons used to be customized to the shooter, I do not know if they still are or not, but that illustrates the importance of fit. Good luck!!

6. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    I don't even know where to start with this. Let me be as clear as possible, and please don't take what I have to say as an insult to you or your intelligence. I know that there are a lot of people who believe what you've said here to be true, when in reality, you're setting yourself up for a massive problematic fall.

Bird shot is for birds. You will not kill a man with bird shot unless it is absolutely point blank, and you also will not injure him beyond that which would keep him from continuing to attack you. A single shot 12 guage with bird shot is a terrible, terrible idea because you will do nothing more than make him more mad than he was before he broke into your house in the first place, and you'll be leaving yourself nothing more than a shotgun shaped bat to defend yourself with. I don't even feel the need to go over the fact that you will then be spending the rest of your life paying off what you will lose in a civil law suit. Simply put, they will want to know why it is that you felt justified in shooting a man if you didn't feel that your life was in danger enough to kill the person that you shot.

I wouldn't feel undergunned in my own home with anything more than a 9mm that I am comfortable handling and firing. Shot placement beats caliber every day of the week. But my Remington 870 stays loaded with 00 buck, because if I'm feeling threatened enough to shoot a man, he's threatened me enough to warrant the taking of his life.

There is no handgun caliber with 100% stopping power. While the .38 and 9mm tend to look a tab underpowered, there have been plenty of documented incidents involving .40S&Ws, .45ACPs, 10mms, etc bouncing off of skulls, not expanding, over penetrating, etc. Type of ammo used will also play a large part in how far your ammunition goes. Ball ammo and FMJ will tend to go through things. HP and JHP will tend to stop shorter than FMJ because of the nature of the expansion.

Like I said, I mean no disrespect, but the idea of using bird shot in a shotgun for HD is a bad idea, and one that has been continually recommended against.

7. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
  8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Shawn, I'm not familiar with the 24/7, but did try one of the 1911 Taurus models, and thought it was pretty impressive.
    The bad rep for Taurus actually started in the 70's and was well founded, but haven't seen a problem for a long time. I own a couple.
    I like the internal lock on all their guns, for folks like you that have kids. At first, I thought it a hassle, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. Being built into the weapon, it's faster and easier than one that has to be removed. Hate the lock on the new Remington long guns.
    But the Taurus unit is pretty neat. Just another key ta carry. I just wear mine round my neck on a chain if there's kids around.
    I also prefer a revolver over an auto for the shared gun, or home unit.

9. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 00 buck as the first round out then alternate deer slugs with 00.

I have a friend that was at an autopsy on a guy that took a .22 LR hollow point from his wife to the center of his chest. Said it took out the back of his heart like knife.

A shotgun is my #1 choice as a home weapon. My 110lb wife can hit anything with it at 10yds or less. Plus it's quite an intimidating site. But I'm not a big believer in intimidation. If it gets bad enough for a weapon it's coming out for one reason.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive got a 44mag taurus revolver now for almost a year, bought it used. Only problem I had was with the cylinder popping off during cleaning, put the spring and screw back in and its been fine ever since. Heard it may be due to shooting HOT loads. Very accurate and thats the only problem Ive had out of it, it was an easy fix.

11. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Erik, the legal battles fought in California are not the same here in GA, nor will they be the same as in PA. The idea behind the single barrel shotgun with bird shot is so that pretty little girl in the picture with Naack will survive a miss. Anyone coming into your home in a violent and tumulus manner will have to be addressed with a significant caliber weapon, true. Someone sneaking into your house to steal what they think may be there, would probably accept the invitation to leave from a 12 gauge blast, even if it was just a wad.

I did not say 100% stopping power, I said one shot stops. This is based on all documented shootings the FBI looked at from the beginning of keeping the records to the mid nineties, when I retired for Law enforcement. I do not know for sure beyond this point.

Beyond this, let's agree to disagree and encourage Naack to investigate the matter more on his own.

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have a 24/7 Pro .40S&W with Remington Golden Sabre rounds for car/home protection. I have been very happy with mine and I'm thinking about getting a .45ACP next year for carrying.

13. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Thanks for all the input guys , i do have several shotguns at home < big hunter also> so i normaly have my remmington 12 ga short barrel turkey shotgun for anything that happens at home i do need something for fishing , but the question i still have to figure out is do i use the .45 at home or the 12 ga .. i will figure this out :cool2: i was basicaly finding out what you thought of the .45 and the brand taurus , and i Def think im getting it after looking at 1 today and all of your input..

Thanks again guys :smile2:

14. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    Naack, I found a picture of my 9mm in my photobucket.

Attached Files:

15. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Well thinks have changed :sad2: talked to the dealer they Dont make the Taurus 24/7 pro compact .45 yet......they are hoping it is in production by 6 months to 1 year :angry: so that idea is out! so i am looking at the Glock 36 with a 3 an 2/3 barrel im realy looking for a compact and this is the closest i can find in my price range... their is 1 in a S&W but its around 850 and a Warthog around 900 but the Glock 36 i can get around 575$ so what ya guys think.. i know alot of law inforcement use Glock. im just not sure on the Safty features of the Glock

16. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    With the Glock, YOU are the safety. What you get with the Glock is unsurpassed reliability. It ain't pretty, it ain't fancy, but it goes boom when you squeeze the trigger.