Tattoo Care

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TA2D, Aug 12, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I know that quite a few of us have tattoos, just curious what your artist told you to do for after care? I have been told;

-Don't use Neosporin
    -Keep the new tattoo out of the sun
    -Keep the new tattoo out of pools or salt water
    -Keep the new tattoo clean, wash 3-4 times a day with a mild soap and pat dry
    -Do not itch or scratch at the tattoo while it is healing
    -Use A&D Ointment
    -Use Bag Balm
    -After tattoo has healed apply a good moisturizing lotion to the area for at least 3-4 weeks

What are some of the tips you have heard?

Aaron

TA2D

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    best tip i heard was....don't get one

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    A+D Oitment for sure
    No Neosporin (Takes away Color)

Rub down with Salt....Just Kidding, LMAO

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    jab a fork in your eye to forget how bad it hurts.

ST

5. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO man, it dont hurt at all. At least mine did not. Just peal the back, place it against the arm, add water and pressure. Sticks pretty good!! LMAO

6. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    with the 4 i have i used a-d ointment and kept them out of the sun for about 3 weeks. but mine are from 5 to 12 yrs old so they need to be touched up again. What kind of Tat are you getting? let us see pics of it.

7. katcatcher

katcatcher New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think they told you all the right things to do

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    That's pretty much what I was told to do when I got mine.

9. minnies_moocher

minnies_moocher New Member

State:
    Coldspring, Texas
    I used bag balm on mine. they did fine. Just keep them nice and moist. Good luck on your choice.:smile2:

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Also, tell them that you want the needles extra deep, dont want it fading too fast. LMAO

11. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    That seems like the right process, I have eleven tats. For the healing process I use tattoo goo. I think you can get it online, my tattoo artist carries it. It looks like a carmex container, but works great. Keep it out of the sun as much as possible and don't scratch.

12. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I think you pretty much covered it except I thought they told me to try and avoid getting it wet (ie shower) for a day or two.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A&D and no sun. Those are the only things I have ever been told.

14. WhiteRiverLilCats

WhiteRiverLilCats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have three tattoos myself and have used three different types of balm. My most recent tat healed the best. It is on my back and pretty good in size. I am including the care instructions that the tattoo parlor gave me.

Tattoo Care Instructions
    1. Remove bandage in 1 to 3 hours.
    2. Gently wash the area with a recommended soap such as Satin or Provon (antimicrobial). Do NOT use antibacterial soaps, soaps containing chemical perfumes or deodorants. - I used Johnson and Johnson's No Tears Baby Soap
    3. Thoroughly rinse the area, without soaking and gently pat dry (Never rub).
    4. For the remainder of the first day, allow the area to air dry, washing
      again if the tattoo tightens up.
    5. At the end of the first day, apply a small amount of either fragrance
      free Vaseline Intensive Care lotion (advanced healing formula) or all natural organic balm such as Ink Fixx which we carry at our studios. Use only an amount that will be absorbed by the skin. - The Ink Fixx was awesome. Looks a lot like chapstick and it actually smells pretty good.
    6. Continue to wash the area, as instructed above, 2 to 3 times a day or as needed if the tattoo tightens or begins feeling dry. Re-apply the lotion or balm. ALWAYS wash the tattoo area Before re-applying any lotion or Balm.
    7. Continue these instructions until the tattoo begins to peel or scab. If the tattoo scabs, discontinue the use of lotion or balm IMMEDIATELY and let the tattoo scab. Allow the scab to fall off as gently and as naturally as possible. Never ever pick at the scab!! If the tattoo does not scab, it should begin to peel in 5 10 days.
    8. Do not soak your tattoo in any kind of water for at least two weeks. If you will be around a large body of water or in the sun, ALWAYS use sun block.
    9. Avoid any type of clothing that will rub or irritate the new tattoo.
    10. Take good care and be aware of your new tattoo at all times. Remember that the care you put into the healing of your tattoo will be the determining factor in what your tattoo looks like after Healing.
    WHAT NOT TO USE

Historically, we as a society treat or body art as an infection. Some people tend to coat their fresh ink with antibiotics and antibacterial products and hope for the best. It is not surprising that we have had so many problems with our tattoo aftercare. This thought process or model uses a “get rid of” or “anti” strategy. Ideally, what we really need is the direct opposite. We need to encourage our body art to stay, look good and be durable. With this in mind, we DO NOT recommend using any petroleum based product, Neosporin, bacitracin, A&D ointment or Vitamin E. None of these products are effective enough at reducing the possibility of scabbing which will increase ink loss or inflammation. Most Of these mentioned products have a petroleum base that will not allow our body art to breathe. In order for the skin regeneration to occur oxygen is critical!

There is an old wisdom that demands that we should treat organic matter (i.e. our bodies) organically. With that in mind, the best aftercare for a tattoo would be organic as well. There is a big picture to consider when our bodies are out of balance. Healing our body art is simply a matter of bringing back the balance. Therefore aftercare becomes more than a matter of applying some sort of goop to the affected area. Our goal should be to soothe irritation and allow our bodies the correct state for self-healing and acceptance of our body art. Keep in mind that no amount of correct aftercare and product use will make up for poor lifestyle choices. Be aware of your body and keep the tattooed area clean. With care and attention you should be able to enjoy your body art for many years to come!

Hope this helps! :cool2:

15. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Got mine back in my Navy days. In 1960 he just said keep a light covering of Vaseline on it for a few days. Had no ill effects by doing just that.

16. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've been to two shops and one was much better than the other, but both healing methods worked for me. I did like the second and more talented shops method better. My tattoo was done at night so I left it wrapped until morning.

Washed Tattoo off of luke warm water and nonscented soap.

I let it dry out the rest of that day, and then that night started using lubriderm on it twice a day in small quantities. I found this way I healed much faster with less scabbing.

I have been through the A and D process before, but I don't think it worked as well for me.

One thing I have seen is a shop cover a tattoo with a paper towel. That is defintely not good. It can pull some of the ink out.

They also say to keep out of the sun and stuff obviously, but I always get tattooed in the winter so I don't really worry about it. When ever the skin is exposed I use SPF 50 Sunscreen to keep the colors bright.

The Last tattoo I got was my biggest and it healed to fastest. I know go to a shop which is very about $100 an hour but it's worth it for big artistic works.

17. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    recieved the same information on all three of mine. I never had the fading problems. lol

18. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the great response. I am not getting a new one yet, 20+ is enough for a while even though it has been 4 years since I have been drilled on! I was just curious as to what some of the other tattooed members used for a guideline.

Aaron

TA2D

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've never seen a piece of art I liked enough to carry it around with me for the rest of my life. I wonder if Oriental people get English symbols tatooed all over them!

20. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    a&d oinment is the best thing to use. keep them out of the sun light for a few days. or they will fade