Taste difference?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by verrykerry, Oct 7, 2009.

1. verrykerry

verrykerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone ever noticed a difference in taste between catfish species?
    They all taste the same to me.

Also, does a 60lb fish taste or have a different texture than the pan sized cats? I've only caught a few bigguns and it was purely accidental and I didn't keep either, released em. (I have alot of respect for the age and size and apparent survival skills a big fish must have to accomplish those sizes). I was always told growing up that big fish have a more rubbery sort of texture to the meat. True or false? I didn't catch the one in the avatar, my neighbor did, I just got a picture with it. It's my "damn liar" fisherman goto pic. haha

Kerry

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    i wounder the same thing? good question. I have blues and channels in the freezer and there in one big bag. I will only be able to tell the two blues I got cause there the biggest fillet. But I have several channels and blues that are the same size and not marked.

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i cant tell a difference between a blue and channel. now to me a flathead has a different texture. and i prefer them grilled than fried. and i dont like to eat bigger fish mainly out of respect and cuz i am told they are like eating rubber

4. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    to me crappie is the best of all fish to eat:smile2:

5. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    but catfish is the one i like to catch. i always let tmem go

6. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    sorry for my spelling

7. lkilleb rew

lkilleb rew New Member

State:
    Pauls Valley, OK
    I agree Crappie are the best fish in the world to eat.

When cooking Catfish, especially in a Courtbullion, I much prefer to cook them bone in. I dunno, to me it gives a much better flavor.

If we are having a bunch of knot head kids over, I will filet them cuz the knot heads will waste too much if it is bone in.

Just my thoughts,
    Larry

8. lkilleb rew

lkilleb rew New Member

State:
    Pauls Valley, OK
    filet the fish, not the knot heads... oops!

9. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Catfish caught during the winter taste alot better than those caught during the summer.A blue 1-4 lbs is about as good as it gets.

10. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    flats are the best to me.a blue ain't worth the time it takes to clean it,to me.small channels always good.i've ate several large flats that were bleeding badly from the gills so release not an option,if cut and cleaned RIGHT you can't tell them from a 2 or 3 lber.not rubbery not strong.

11. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    Thanks, for the correction! :big_smile:

12. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My least favorite is channels. A 5 lb channel will have fat thru the meat (The yellow stuff you see on fillets, usually around the top of the back), and I dont like the taste, I usually try and cut a much out as I can.

Flatheads, I like to catch to much, so I hardly ever keep one, unless I gut hook him or get him in the gills.

I like the blues from about 5-25, they are plentyful, and I like the way the texture on the meat is.

13. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yeah to me a channel has to be 2 lbs. or less the smaller the better.

14. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I like blues for eatin the best.......nice white mild meat.....

15. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you will drop your channel cat fillets into boiling water for 2 minutes and pull them out then the yellow fat will been released and the taste is good. Change the water after doing a quart to half gallon of fillets as the water will be yellow from all the fat. I have done this several times and it has never failed me yet.

16. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    For channel cats the difference in the meat tenderness is around 5 to 6lbs bigger than that the meat gets tougher. Those 2-3lbers are the best eating.

17. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the blues my dad brought back from ft cobb were a lot "flakier" and fell apart more than the channels down here..we dotn have many blues here so..maybe not a fair comparison...they caught a albino channel up there and it was in the bags of fillets somewhere lol..i dunno...all taste good to me

18. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    I've never had a tough piece of catfish. River cats can taste different than lake cats because of muscle use and fat content. I think they all taste good if you take the time to trim all fat and red meat.

19. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    If you will rinse the fillets in running water till all the foam (aka grease) and blood runs clean. Put the fillets in a clean bucket and add baking soda i use half of a fifty cent box in every 5 gallon of fillets. Fill with fresh water and soak over nite the fish will taste alot better. you can soak for a couple of days if you change water and soda every day. This seems to take out the mud and wang from the fish. Reason for soda vrs. salt: salt sets , soda draws. rember using a soda paste on a bee sting it draws out the stinger and poison! Try it and see if you like it. Works really good on chicken also if you soaK it overnite. p.s. you can freeze your fillets with out rinsing them from the soda water and not taste it.

20. bvomark

bvomark Well-Known Member

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    We catch mostly blue cats, a few channels and even fewer flatheads. This is most likely due to the methods and locations we fish.

We eat the blues and flats. I haven't kept a channel cat to eat for years. The yellow meat from a channel just doesn't compare to the flaky white meat from the blue or flathead. It seems like the channel cat will have a bad taste somewhere in it somewhere after it is cooked. I don't get that in the blue or flathead.