Tarred fish line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by justwannano, Nov 18, 2006.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm new here.
    Somewhere in the last couple of days I read that someone tars their trot line trunk line. I'm wondering about the process. I only have a small amount of line ,a couple hundred feet, to tar so I have to keep the expense down.
    thanks

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Bob... I'm sure someone will be along to help you... They're prolly all watchin' the Ohio Michigan game... :lol: Did you check the library?
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    .sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL

3. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Welcome to the B O C Bob. Putting tar on trout line is new to me, but if it happens anywhere in the world, you wait a while and you will get conformation here on the B O C. You can learn any and all there is to fishin right here. ENJOY !

Flint

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Welcome to the BOC!! I dont use this method but, if someone here does they wiil help you!

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    welcome , you gonna learn if it can be learned, but I have never heard of this method either.

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never tarred my own line, but I do use store bought tarred line for the main line. It only cost a few cents more than the regular line. Walmart, (in My area), academy sports, and most larger stores carry it. I do not think it would be cost effective to do your own.

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Welcome to the BOC brother. I have not heard of people taring their own line but I am sure you could find it at a commerical fisherman outlet like Nylon Net Company. They are located in Memphis, TN.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I remember when i was a young kid that tarred line was used by my granddad on his trotlines because the line was made from cotton id say with the nylon or poly lines you wouldnt need to tar it

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm with you 223, the composition of the lines made today probably don't require tarring as did the lines or yesteryear.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Lines were "tared"to waterproof,prevent rot and provide UV protection.It will still provide the same protection to any line in need of such today.peewee-williams

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Tarred nylon holds knots better than the un-tarred, twisted stuff, and has more "body", so it resists tangling.

12. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Justwannano,
    I used to fish 100 hook trot lines commercially when I was younger and always dyed my lines,but never tarred any. Putting tar on the line would make it very stiff & hard to handle. Be about like trying to put wire in your jump boxes! The main thing is you just want to get your line colored so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. I used to use a brown dye to color mine with,and worked good for me. If you have anymore questions let me know,would be glad to help in any way that I can.
    Glenn