Tarpon Fishing in South Florida

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by Icemanxxxv, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Icemanxxxv

Icemanxxxv New Member

State:
    Smithville Missouri
    Any brothers in Florida fish Tarpon? My brother and I are trying to do a little light tackle fly fishing for tarpon in Southern Florida. Any Guide information or experiance advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I can't remember his name but in the Florida keys, around Marathon i think there is an excellent guide who specializes in tarpon on fly rod. I was there about 5 years ago but didn't get a chance to set up a trip.

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i wish i could help you but you can't eat em' so i don't mess with them...lol

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    it doesn't make sense. many around the keys are over 100 pounds. on fly gear you may fish the back water for the babies.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have seen guides catch very large tarpon on heavey fly gear and it is nothing less than awsome.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Wishing you good luck,Steve.I've never been down there this time of year so I can't give you any advice.I do have some web-sites if you want me to P.M. them to you.
    How far south are you going?

www.cap.mel.com
    is a good place to start,based in Tampa,but has good links

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    guys i am sorry i didn't even think about the capt. mel site i listen to him every satuday i have to work he has a lot of good info for salt water fishing in the area....

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    OLN has a series going about Tarpon fishing with light tackle. I caught part of one a week or two ago and it looked pretty cool. Follow this link, search for keywords "tarpon", and for day, set it to "This Month", and you will find a bunch of stuff.

http://ww2.olntv.com/tvlistings/default.asp?nm=2

I tried it myself, but my little fly rod couldn't even reach the water from up on the Skyway Pier where I was fishing from :confused: :confused:

9. rockk

rockk New Member

State:
    E.C,florida
    iceman how far south are you planning on fishing
    i been seeing tarpon roll at the head of the rivers down here
    have you thought about fly fishing for snook their just as much fun and you can eat 'em. and you'll catch tarpon too
    been catching snook on mirrolure catch 2000 (silver/green),(black/orange)plug casting