Tarp Recommendations ......

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Feb 8, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    After having my boat stored in a boathouse for many years, when I moved back to Ohio, I have neither a boathouse or a garage to cover it .... So I purchased one of the large gray tarps that I thought was water proof. I bought it extra large so I could wrap it around and under the boat so water wouldn't blow up under it. Well today I decided to check on the many items I had loaded in the boat before the move .... ALL of my fishing tackle, which part, was in cardboard boxes. When I lifted the tarp I found everything was soaked and the boxes were about to fall apart because water or moisture somehow got under or through the tarp. Now I have a 2 or 3 day job of unpacking everything and drying it out.

Can anyone advise what kind of tarp is available that the moisture won't go through. I have checked for regular boat covers and it appears that no one makes one for my 1973 Quachita 16 foot boat. Please I need some advice.....

Garry- :confused2:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i don't know much about tarps, but the amish make covers and canvas to size. And are much more cheaper than most boat places. I know that Boat Boys makes canvas and covers there in Newark for boats. Don't know much on the pricing of them though. rollo

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just remember that canvas covers still let in moisture and some water. I use a garage as my tarp. I used to use the canvas covers and then a tarp over it and that seemed to do a pretty good job. Just make sure you dont leave anything in the boat ( why would you with theft the way it is) and it is tilted up with drainplug open to drain. That means no fishfinders, or any metal componants ( IE. Reels, hooks or lures) since condensation will be quite high. Also make sure you put in some boxes or plastic poles to keep the tarp/canvas cover pointed so all water can drain off of it, the canvas covers are the worst when they have a low spot on them. If they hold water, it will seep into the hull.
    Canvas covers were designed to let air in so it wouldnt condensate so when you retarp over it, its a trade off, condensation, or standing water

Salmonid

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I wish I had a garage .... I have never had to worry about a cover since I have had the boat ... so this is new experience and I figured from the way the material read on the package of the tarp that it would keep the water out .... Yep ... tilted up and drain plug is out ... since I moved so quickly and into a family member's house there wasn't time for them to get everything of theirs from the basement so I was lacking in storage space and I wasn't too concerned about theft since the boat is in a feneced yard close to the house and I have several loaded .45's laying around and security lights and very mean disposition when it comes to someone else being in my yard unannouced.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WISH U LUCK DONT KNOW OF A GOOD TARP

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    maybe look into them portable metal sheds, about 595 around here & pretty sturdy, plus u can anchor them to the ground & still put it next to the house!!!

7. Corndawg

Corndawg New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a sheet of heavy plastic, from Home Depot. and then a trap over it.