Tarp drift socks?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by dinkbuster1, Dec 8, 2007.

  1. dinkbuster1

    dinkbuster1 New Member

    Messages:
    2,272
    State:
    Ohio
    anyone ever made one? i have heard of folks making drift socks out of tarp material but cannot find any info online on how to glue together the material. i am sure i can make a really good drift sock (or bag) cheap by just using tarp and grommets but i need to find a way to glue the tarp material. i can sew it but that would take quite a while. i currently use "drift buckets" but when the river is at normal level the buckets really dont help much even in the slightest breeze. plan on making a JUMBO "bag", cone shaped with a hole in the end, for low water/little current conditions.
     
  2. Mickey

    Mickey New Member Supporting Member

    Messages:
    14,592
    State:
    Illinois
    Mike that is a great idea. Should be workable. When you have it completed and tested, make another post. It could end up in the BOC library. Thanks for the idea.
     

  3. justwannano

    justwannano Active Member

    Messages:
    1,003
    State:
    SE Iowa
    Have you tried "shoe goo". Its made to fix practically any shoe.
    Glues rubber vinyl and canvas.
    Heck if it can fix tennis shoes , who knows what they are made of now a days,I'd think it would glue plastic tarps.
     
  4. AwShucks

    AwShucks New Member

    Messages:
    4,532
    State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I just finished sewing a drift sock. I made it from rip-stop material I bought at Hancocks Fabrics... cost $4.96 per yard and I got two yards of a bright red and two yards of a bright yellow. I then bought UV resistant nylon thread to sew it together. I made a pattern by taping two sheets of a newspaper together, with the center fold on the pages lined up. I then folded it on the fold and measured 7 inches on one end, then a 40" length, from which I measured two inches. It would be easy to adjust the 7 inch end to another dimension and lengthen the sock. The rip-stop came in a 60" width, and from the red I cut four strips at 2 1/2 inches by 60", and two of the same size from the yellow. I folded them in half, sewed the edges and use the red strips as legs for the cone. I sewed about 12" of the length onto the side of the cone for more strength. I joined to two yellow strips together and made one long strip. I again folded this in half, turned it inside out, and sewed it to the 4" opening to be a trip cord. As it is, my finished sock has a 28" diameter at the large end, is 38" in length, and has a 4" opening at the small end. Total sewing time was about 6 hours.