Targeting Trophy Winter Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by patrickgd, Nov 18, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've read in catfishing books and seen videos that claim that winter time is supposed to be a real good time of year for catching monster blues. Most fisherman I've talked to about this do not seem to share this "optimistic" outlook.

Whats y'alls experience? If you agree...why? and what are some good techniques and strategies.

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    It has been my experience here in Texas that Dec,Jan, and Feb are the best months to catch the big blues. I fish Lake Tawakoni pretty well exclusively, and these seem to be the months that most of the big ones come. It seems like as soon as the water temp hits 60 degrees or lower the smaller fish do not bite as much. Down here on Tawakoni we drift for them 99% of the time. We use cut shad (fresh) and perch. I don't know if the winters here are just mild enough to turn the big fish on, but that seems to be the case.

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I agree, based on personal experience, wintertime is a great time for a trophy blue. The main thing I think is fishing places with significant populations of big blues to increase your chances. In a lot of places it wouldn't be worth it. I don't know where in TN you're from, but the TN River, Cumberland River, and MS River would be good places to try winter blue cattin'. I like to fish in and around deeper holes when current is present in the winter. I don't catch as many fish, but the average size is bigger. Good luck fishin'.

4. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i'm pretty sure most everyone on here would tell you the same thing

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Patrick,
    It's definitely not an "optimistic outlook", it's absolute fact, especially in your state. Winter blue cat fishing is one of the reasons Tennessee is such a popular destination. In-Fisherman has extensively covered the cold water methods pioneered by Jim Moyer on the Cumberland river.
    Fresh skipjack or shad is the bait of choice for most guys. fished around structure such as channel edges, drop offs, wood, rock and ledges.
    I have caught and seen caught some great blue cats in Tennessee during December-March.
    ...W

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Patrick....winter is a really good time to catch some trophy Bluecats. Right now is prime time to fish fresh cut-baits from bluegills and skipjacks. Make long casts to reach the deep parts of the channel and just be ready for a big one. You might not catch the numbers, but the chance for a trophy Blue is good.:big_smile:

7. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    From what I have been hearing around my way is that the winter time is the best time to target big Blues. I am heading down to the Potomic in Md. to take a shot at a nice Blue. The only thing that sucks is that is is a 3 hr. drive both ways.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am pretty excited about catching some cold weather blues. I am sure that there will be many times that you will get nothing, but when you do it should be worth it.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Not sure who you were talking to, but winter is the best time to catch big blues, and in quantity!

I had a few multiple citation days last winter. 55 degree water temps seem to be the magic number around here. When it hits 55 and below, it's ON.

10. Squatchy07

Squatchy07 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where in Tennessee are you located? Or at least which river or lake do you mainly fish?

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I fish the Mississippi River in and around Memphis TN.

I just started fishing the big river last spring and pretty much the whole year I have been chasing the Flatheads. A few guys I've talked to that have allot of experience fishing the river and have caught allot of real bigguns some 75lbs+ say that they "have heard" about winter being a good time but from their experience have not seen it.

Which is why I thought I'd do this post to get many opinions and proven stragies.

Thanks to all who have shared theirs, please keep em comin.

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    if you are in ohio for them the ohio river is the key for them rick around cincinnati west to the Indiana
    border good luck

13. Squatchy07

Squatchy07 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try fishing around current breaks in the deepest water for your section of river with cutbait... But not in slack water. I've always read that flatheads get very lethargic in the winter months, but I know blues really never slow down feeding. They seem to like to stay out of the current more during periods of cold water, I'm certain they're trying to conserve energy, so fishing slower water makes sense to me. Also, personally, I try to weed out smaller fish by using larger baits, unless I'm low on skipjack. As always, just my .02... Good Luck

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Hit it up man! December through April is the time to get em brother! Get after them this winter and you'll catch a couple of nice ones. Good luck in your hunt for them winter blues, from the looks of your avatar you're already well on your way:wink:

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Agree. Winter time is the right time here in Cali. The winter months is what I look forward to for blues.

16. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    well pat i fish the bank and my boat ill give you one hunny hole from the bank . go to old bridge tn side at foot of bridge get off the exit make a left. before you go under bridge go straight road dead ends you can get to the river there set under bridge cast as far out as possible bait will be swept toward barge setting there great winter hole should produce good

17. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    The fall and winter can yield great catches.:wink: You got bait fish balling up. stripers and bass bust'em up and blues under them. A recipe for success right there.:wink:

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Thanks Richard, I'll have to try to find that spot. I got a whole week off so should be able to find it. I might give you a call for more details. :wink:

19. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Several years back my dad and I took a guide at Lewisville lake in North Texas. We went around April and caught 60+ blue cats from 1-6 pounds. The guide told us to come back in the winter and he would catch us bigger fish. We had not ever heard of that and thought that fishing kind of just shutoff during the winter. We came back to the same guide Early decemeber. We drifted as we did the time before and caugth 24 fish from 6-15 pounds. We lost 3 or more fish that would have been over 15#'s. He told us that the weekend before he caught several 30#'s for other people he guided.

Every year since then, we look forward to winter blue cats.