Targeting that flathead catfish of a lifetime, whats your bait of choice?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by wolfman, Feb 10, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Just curious to what all you flathead anglers would use for to catch a monster flathead?

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Creek perch, had to come by some times but worth the effort. then blue gills and live shad.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    A very lively blue gill (or any of the pan fish type) in the 3-5 inch range.

4. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    shad seems to work well for me. We don't have skip jacks up this way, but we have the shad. The trick is keeping them alive. I've never had live shad in the water more than 10 minutes without a run. Dead shad are pretty affective as well. My second choice would be some sort of pan fish. I've heard goldfish are a flatty favorite, but they are illegal in Pa. I'm going to try trout live and cut when the season starts.

5. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Big google eye up to a pound are my flathead bait of choice. I put a 58 and a 60 pounder in the boat last year on them. Gona go after them real hard and try to break our 66 pound state record this spring. I'm also gona try some 1 to 2 pound mudcat. I really like using the bigger bait. It culls a lot of the smaller fish for ya.

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Big bait is the way to go! Like Gooboy said a Goggle eye bigger than your hand, a big green or red ear sunfish, I big mud cat or carp. Any thing that will live on a line and swim around will do. A 2 lb bait is no trouble at all for a 10lb flathead so the sky is the limit for one in the 60 to 70lb class. My buddy and I had a 18lb flat on the line that we got in that another flat had swolled up to the fins. The 18lb one was tore up but we had it hooked down in it's mouth so the bigger flat pulled off when we tried to land it. That was a trip!! We fished that hole many times after and the biggest we got out of there was a 67lb one. I know we have had 10 090SS 9/0 pulled straight in that one hole alone. Now we got 090SS 10/0 so we will see what happens. I can't wait till it warns up a little!!! :smile2:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am going to try catch flats this year, I hope to use live bream.

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    3-6 inch sunfish. any bigger and the perch go in the cookin oil! actually any smaller n they go in the cookin oil too! 1.5 - 3 inch perch are great eatin when ya scale em, cut the head off, gut em, n fry em whole.

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use bluegills a lot, 'cause they're easier to get. But, my favorite baits (toughest and most lively)

Green Sunfish

Bullhead

Shawn

10. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use 3 to 5inch gills. And I am trying use goldfish but I have to see what happen if flathead is hitting on it or not...

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'm with Dameon, a lively bluegill or sunfish really can't be beat around here. Although if I was targetting a monster, I would most likely get a bluegill around 8-9", crappie around 11-12", or a creek chub around 10". But usually my ideal bait size is any baitfish that is 4-6".

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We try to keep a couple of the poles baited with bullhead all the time when targeting flathead. Most of the time you wont get many bites but when you do it will be a good fish. At other times they may be the bait the flats are feeding on.
    Black perch on another couple of poles and live shad on the last two poles.
    A couple of fish on the same bait and were changing some of the poles to that bait.

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Every time I go out I'm in pursuit of a fish of a life time.:lol: Bullheads are my bait of choice.

14. Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab New Member

State:
    Owensville, MO.
    I like to use Bluegill and Bullheads. The bigger the better.

15. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    18 inch large mouth scaled

16. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    BLUE GILLS, BULLHEADS, AND GOLDFISH ARE MY BAITS OF CHOICE FOR FLATHEADS.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Go big as you can handel, keeps the little ones away and creats a nice struggling meal any giant can't refuse.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    My personal favorite is big gizzard shad, 12 to 15 inches, or more if I can catch them but they get scarce over 15 inches in this river. I have caught more fish over 30lbs on large live shad than anything else. That is the bait I crave and use first when pulling up to a spot, ( cause they won't live long in the bait bucket lol) The next best around here for me is giant river crappie 9 to 13 inches. In the river they grow more thick than long, the flats love em. Ever see a 2 inch wide crappie?

19. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I don't think I could name just one bait to have out, I like to have several different baits out at once. My personal best Flathead was caught on a piece of cut skipjack. I had three rods out, two with live bluegills and the one with cut skipjack sitting out inbetween them. They were all within 10 yards of each other and that Flathead nailed the cut bait. Another time I had cut bait and live gills out, they were out there for a couple hours without a bite. I casted a small live bullhead out in the same area and a 40lb Flathead hit it about 10 min. after I set it out. So now I try to give them a choice.

20. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like using blue gills as big and as lively as i can get.live shad aint bad either.long as its big and breathin,i like it.