Targeting Flats or Channels

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by the_nis, Dec 28, 2005.

1. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Ok guys, I have a question...

In the warmer months of the year, I do a lot of shore fishing here in Pittsburgh. Now genereally me and my buddies will catch chubs, suckers and bluegill before we hit the river. I'm not going for smaller fish to eat, I'm going for the bigger fish to brag about! Being that I use all live bait, I guess I try to target Flats more then channels but I think I might change things up a bit next year. What do you guys do to catch larger channels? Is live bait the best bait to use for larger channels? Would a dip bait or something like that catch large channels? Thanks guys!

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not a dip bait guy, but I think the smaller cats hit on that,someone else may know more than I do, but I'd say use something like live bait on one rod, then cut shad on the other. It would give you a little choice, plus both can be used for channells or flats.

3. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Well I'd use live bait and fish near a lock and dam which Pgh. has plenty of. Try lock #3 on the Allegheny River also Kittanning has some large channel cats. Before I moved South I fished this water for about 40 years and cleaned up on cats. Kelly Station has some large Flatheads.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey the_nis,

Like yourself, I'm a shore fisherman, & I love to catch big Channels on Dip-Bait. But I have caught big Channels using Live or Cut Shad from the shoreline as well. I guest it all depends on if the big fish are where you are fishing, and it sounds like they are. But if I were you, I would try fishing any bait-fish that come out of the water that you are fishing, that's the best bait you can use sometimes.

:0a26:

Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool:

5. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I was thinking about using some fresh cut shad. Last year the shad population seemed to disappear for whatever reason but this year they seem to be back. Maybe some chicken livers. I used to always catch decent cats when I was younger using livers.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I consider fresh cut shad the number 1 biat for bigger channel cats..I used to use chicken livers for channels..But since I switched to cut shad I catch larger channel cats.

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with flathunter on this one.

You can catch some big Channels on Shad!

Bert :cool:

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i agree with Flathunter fresh cut shad is the best bait for larger channels. Also try larger suckers around 6 to 10 inches. Cut the head off and toss that out there.

9. rushryder

rushryder New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    On the Arkansas river I catch nice channel cats on turkey liver. I agree with the other guys as far as the bigger channel cat go, but when I can't get shad I catch some nice channel and blues(3 to 5 pounds) on turkey liver. As far as liver goes turkey seems to be the best. It has more texture than chicken liver and they eat it up just the same. Beef liver is really tough but I've never caught anything on that. I have also caught nice channel on skipjack guts and cut skipjack.

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ditto on the fresh shad, especially a big shad head. and if theres any flats in the area they like 'em too.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    imo, any of the stinkier baitfish do a better job. like said shad, suckers, chubs, skipjack. i know it dont matter if those fish live in the system you are fishing. we have no skippies in the st.joe river and the channels hit them just as fast as any chub. the smellier the fish the better the bait,they do hunt by smell most of the time, after all. if i had to choose one bait for channels it would be skipjacks. hell they even make me hungary when i open the bag! lol

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Don't know if you guys are experiencing the same thing there as what goes on here every year...just like clockwork. The shad here migrate up our river every early spring. They stay until the water levels begin to fall just like they do every July or so. Then the shad go back downstream to the lake...and don't return until next spring.

We primarily use chicken livers baited carefully onto a treble hook for the fish we plan to eat. If we're going to release fish...I use a circle hook. It's much less invasive than a treble, and usually doesn't hook any vital organs...tending to hook in the corner of the mouth instead of the gills or gullet. But, like I said...if you're going to eat them anyhow...the treble is fine. It sure is easier to keep liver on a treble than it is any other type of hook.

Shad or perch is good bait for most anything that swims. Liver can be great for channel and blues. I've had luck in the past using dip bait...but it's further down the line than some other baits are on my list. Night crawlers are good too. BUT....The grand daddy of all baits for channel and blues is chunks of gar, spoonbill, or carp egg sacks. (Actually, any type of eggs work...but native species for the water you're fishing is always best) A channel or a blue will eat most anything if it's hungry. But even when the fish just won't bite anything else...they always bite the egg sacks. There's just something about them.

13. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Pretty much all last year, the shad population was scarce. There was even an article in the newspaper as to why they were dying off. I wish I would have saved the article. But they are back but they are very small, probably 4" tops. If they are this size next year, I guess I could just throw a couple of them on a hook at a time...Thanks guys!

14. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I'm with you on the chicken livers. Most of the time I'm limited to the shore because I'm only 15 and am not yet able to drive. So, unless i want to tow the boat with my bike, lol, I have to fish from shore. I catch a lot of nice river channels on fresh chicken liver fished on the bottom w/ plenty of weight. I haven't had near the results w/ curred livers though. I commonly catch cats from 25- 35 inches and 5-20 lbs. I hope this helpls!

15. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Hey Josh,

What part of Pennsylvania are you from? Where do you usually fish?

16. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I'm from South Central PA, York/Harrisburg. I usually fish in the Susquehanna river South of Harrisburg