Targeting Blue Catfish In Indiana

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by whiteriverbigcats, Apr 13, 2009.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just recently have been trying to target Blues on a few trips the last two years.. In indiana where are some good bodies of water to target a good abundance of blues.. I do Know the Ohio River, Wabash River and Lower White River... I know of a few other locations where blues have been caught but they are few and far between.. Does anyone else have any info of other locations??

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Hopefully there's some good waters around here. I'll be looking for my first blue this year.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Monroe has a decent population of blues. But I would suggest targeting flatheads there and to continue spending your time pursuing blues on the Ohio.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sorry i cant help you shane. some of the old timers still insist they are catching blues during the spawn up here though. lol:roll_eyes:

5. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Sorry I cant help you. It has been slim pickens around here for blues. We have caught some over the years but no big abundance of them. We havent had much luck with flatheads around here either mostly channels. I agree with skimax focus your efforts on the ohio or even the southern portion of the wabash.

6. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Shane I've always heard of 3 places for Blues in Indiana. Wabash River below the Cayuga Power Plant, Lake Monroe, and the Ohio.

I'm sure there are other places they don't normally swim that you can land one (I'm a good example), but not consistently.

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've heard they are in Eagle Creek and Morse. Never personally seen any out of there though. Also had people tell me they are in Geist, but I think the people catching these "blues" are just catching some big channel cats out of there...seen some 30-32" channels come out of there.

8. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    sorry no blues around this area

9. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    SHANE WE COULD TRY THE POOLS AT THE WHITE LICK AND WHITE RIVER MEET

10. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    How did I know you was going to go there Ben... LOL:smile2: I have caught 1 and only 1 in the White River. My sister has caught 1 also around the 8pd range and I have seen pics and heard stories of others caught In the White River..

Heard there was some good ones in Eagle creek Resv. too..

I have caught some at monroe.. Its where my old PB Blue came from.. But it was under 20#..

I think they should stock some blues in the White River... We all know that the fishing has gone down over the years.. would be exciting if there were places locally on the white where they could be targeted..

11. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    is that a flathead in your picture then? i thought it was a brown colored bluecat..

12. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    What are you talking about.. The Blue in my Avatar came from the Cumberland River in Tennessee.. It became my new PB Blue.. The Blue that held the title before that came from around the Paynetown area on a nightcrawler about 2 in the morning and the lake was HIGH!!!

13. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i was pretty sure it was a blue, didnt see the "old PB" part.. you had me confused.. i didnt know what you was talking about for a minute there.. :smile2:

14. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana
    I caught a 65 lb Blue out of Morse Res. (Noblesville) about 7 yrs ago now. I was usin a 12" creek chub, 10/0 hook & 65# PowerPro.

15. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Bryan...where at on Morse were you? I've heard stories of bluecats out of there, but never seen any. I've caught some nice channels and got into a 10lb flathead below the dam one time there.

16. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana
    I was sittin right between the top of the dam the bouies that let boaters know theres a dam. Basically right across from the riprap on the opposite side.

17. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

Interesting idea. Does any state have a blue cat stocking program? I dont know any off the top of my head. I think Indiana should start a stocking program, they can hire me to run it. Talk about an awesome job!

18. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Cool...that is a monster cat. It's pretty deep there, I could see a hog hanging around there. I've pulled some 10-15lb channel cats out of there fishing from the park.