Targeting Big Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by WylieCat, Feb 2, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    There is a lot of talk and effort around catching big Blue Catfish. Big Blues (20#+) are more abundant than the Channel Cats of the same size. Obviously the species place a big part, but the 20#+ Channels are out there.

My question is, do any of you target large Channel Cats? Do they have a bait preference different than 8-10 pound channels? Are they caught in different places?

I can name a dozen ways that people target big Blues, but I am hard pressed to come up with 2-3 ways people target large Channel cats.

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    fish with large creek chubs and the biggest and bloodiest cutbait you can find, you might nail some blues but at the same time the Channels will hit it also, also dont forget cut shad

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    another good channel bait is chad that have been stepped on til you hear the pop,have caught alot around 5-9 lbs that way

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the bigger channels i have caught (10-15lb around here) have always been really, tight to cover during the day. have caught a few big ones at night but i do better in the daylight, i guess because they are easier to find.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    During the pre spawn and post spawn periods in spring and fall have been the times that I have landed the biggest channels. LArge cut baits have did the trick. COves is always a good try in the mouth parts or even far back. The transitioning fish are actively feeding and it is a good time to landed the bigger channels.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just keep in mind that channels are not big fans of current. They will tolerate some so target those areas that provide these conditions.

7. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Now don't go saying that George,Most of the larger channels i got outta the river were in pretty swift current.

This is good topic,whenever the question is asked the first and usually only reply is;
    bigger bait equals bigger fish

What i can't seem to figure is,if theres a hole thats holding alot of smaller channels....would not the bigger ones come to feed in the same area?

occasionly i catch an 8-10 pounder while pickin away at the 1-3 pound channels and often i'll catch a bigger channel on a drop off where it seems no other or at least not many others are there.

Still lookin for that 20 plus channel!

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My biggest channel has only been around 8 pounds, and it was caught in the same area as other channels in the 4-6 pound range. This will be my first spring spawn fishing, so I am excited about the chance to catch some large ones then.

9. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    The whole bigger bait bigger fish concept is ridiculous if you ask me.i was at the river last year with a coulpe of friends and using 8-9inch shads and getting nothing,one buddy reaches in the bait bucket and grabs a shad that was only two maybe three inches.about 30minutes later 30lb flathead.

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    one of the best baits from last year was finding a sucker around 10 to 20 inches long. If the fish didnt hit it, cut the head off and toss it out there, flatheads and channels love them

11. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Dont forget that Blue that my dad caught on the head of that sucker

12. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    that wasnt a blue it was a pickup truck:p

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Remeber guys. Big bait=big fish. Dont always work. It all depends on the mood of the fish. I have been fishing and the channels will only that small chunks . Other times they like biger live bait.

Butchy one of the BOC brothers was fishing our local lake last august. Fishing with live bluegill. 3 to 4 inch. Caught a 30 plus lb channel. No one could have guessed there was a channel in there that big.

I think the biggest thing why not many big channels get caught because people dont target the bigger fish. Most are after the eater size 1 to 4 lbs. The bigguns dont live in the same place as the little ones. I know that I would have never thought of fishing where butchy did when he caught that big CC. I will in the future.

14. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i fish with squares cut out of skipjack works great for me

15. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i have never used skipjack but me and Nate(pendog)have some for this year.hope it works aswell as i hear it does

16. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i think most of it has to do with location. after all, ya cant catch a fish if they aint there. once you do find a good spot, itll be just a matter of time before they bite. good time fer bigguns is in the spring. as far as bait, pretty much anything you know catches channels will probably catch a big one. biggest one ive caught was on a hotdog, lol. this spring, im gonna be experimenting with bream for the first time. ill let yall know how it goes.

17. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I caught my two biggest channels a 15 and 16.5 lb on chicken liver in calm water. I am also looking forward to my first prespawn fishing this year.:cross:

18. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    id say look for where thay spawn and try and intercept them to and from this area at the right time of year, saying that its not going to be easy

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    George I catch more channels in the swift current within the first 3 miles below the dam at Pickwick.
    And they love the current here. I catch them in the rocks out in the river here..
    Also can and have caught big ones near the bank along the rocks on the dropoff into the river channel. Thats only 20+ ft from the bank. and below a creek.
    Theres aroudn 3/4 mile of good bank down through there like this. and all of it big limestone rock that was dug out of the river channel for barge traffic.

I hold the boat with the outboard and let he bait bump down behind the boat and most times it will not make it over 75ft before one has it. Now this is slow and letting the bait touch bottom and sit then pump the rod and let out aobut 2 or 3 ft of water again. Works great. Other times I will anchor and do the same thing. Let the sinker hit bottom and then just let it bump down river. Each time let it settle and then pick it back up agian. let out 2 or 3ft of line and do it all over again.
    Catches lots of fish and easy after you get used to it. I keep my thumb on the spool and feed like out as I need it.
    PEte

20. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    This time of the year the channels here are grouped up in deep slow water. When the water gets warm & water levels are low in the summer time, they seem to prefer the currents.