Targeting BIG Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Feb 3, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The past three mornings have been spent targeting BIG fish. For me BIG is anything over the ten pound mark. I know that is bait for a lot of you guys, but I am slowly moving up the ladder.

This has meant big hooks 7/0 and 8/0, and big bait to match. I have caught only three fish in the three mornings, but they have been the biggest three fish I have ever caught. This morning I caught my largest Blue ever on my home lake and it was 12 pounds. Yesterday I landed an eight pounder on my home lake, and the day before on another lake I landed the big 29 pound blue that is my largets so ever. I am not catching a lot, but when I see a rod creep over with a piece of shad the size of the palm of my hand I know I have something good.

How many of you guys target the big fish versus just catching a lot of 3-5 pound cats? Are you content with landing 1-2 fish in a trip as long as they are big?

I am not sure which I like better; catching 10-15 cats in the 3-6 pound range or catching one twelve pound fish. Hehehehehe! Either way I am having a lot of fun!!

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I never target feeder size catz. I am always targetting big/huge flatheads. I spend way too much money to not try and hook up with trophies. Oh btw, sounds like you are having some good times as of late. I haven't hit water since oct 05. ... must be nice.

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    The whole reason i cat fish is for the moster blue or flathead.i too have spent an enormous amout of movey on my gear and i spend alot of time on bait to fish for the small ones

4. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Wyliecat, I only fish for big cats and your right, some days you only catch 1,2, or 3 but, usually they are quality fish. I always catch smaller fish when I'm fishing for bigcats. I have caught channels so small that I didn't even know they where on there till I reeled them in. You never know when big boy might be out there. I have caught my 2 personal best this past fall and winter. A 62lb. flathead (the only one I caught that day) and a 86lb. blue ( it was one of 2 I caught that day) and I don't regret it one bit. Go after dem BIGGUNS...All cats were cpr!!!

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I target both. And will go back to fishing this year. And enjoy it. AS for spending $$ and only fishing for big fish. I would not even begin to add up what I have spent in the last 4 years fishing. and let catching 100 small fish is just as fun as one big fish to me.
    Also I do catch a lot of smaller fish even when fishing for big fish.
    Good luck with what ever size you catch.
    Pete

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    You guys say you spend too much to fish for little ones. I say Ive spent too much not to. I wont keep too many over 10# if any so if i want to get anything back out of my time and money Im gonna fish for some keepers.

7. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I go after the big ones,when fishing i do catch small ones.i was just saying i dont got out to a rivver only after channels,im out there in search of the big cat,if i get no big ones and a handful of 5-10lb fish im still happy:)

8. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i like the big ones. the bigger the better. i only like to fish for small ones if i want to put some fish in the freezer. but i usually do that with blue gills. I'll take the big one anyday.

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Steve will agree, we spend more time catching bait then we do fishing sometimes, we throw the castnets for hours so we get the type of bait we feel will give us a chance for a big fish

10. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    thats for sure Nate.we have been in the river up to our waist throwing those nets.but when we get that first run we know it was worth it.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    then the nights we dont get a run, im happy to head out the next day and do it all over again

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man I will fish 24 hours straight to get a big fish. It is my mission...lol To me big is any over 35lb. Dont get me wrong I love catching nice cats too, it's just I would definitely rather fish for a few months straight and only catch one huge fish like one over 40lb than to catch a whole bunch of nice cats. And that will never change. I'm in it for the challenge also. Man it's just an awesome feeling when you get a big fish. I wouldnt give it up for anything, like I said in another thread the other day I would like to get a record cat, of course wouldnt we all?...lol And there's sure nothing wrong with a trophy channel cat, or anynice channel cat for that matter. It is a big challenge around here to get a channel cat over 15lb. Right now any channel over 20lb here will be the state record. I have not caught a flathead yet, havent got to fish for them yet. Only Blue Cats and Channels so far. I cant wait to get our boat fixed and start fishing for flatheads.

Zakk.:)

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I target the big C. cats with one or two rods. I will sometimes use a smaller set up to catch eater size cats while I wait on the big ones. When it comes to targetting the big ones,yes 1 fish is worth the time to me.

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    it doesnt even have to be a fish over 20 pounds. I would be pumped if i caught a 10 or 15 pound flathead. But then again when you love fishing as much as i do you dont mind getting skunked. Its just great to be outside and at the river

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    anything less than 10lbs stole my bait but i do fish prime lakes. i want to hear the drag sing a little.

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    and nothing will wake you up faster than a drag either. I remember i was at the river with Steve last year when his baitrunner started singing. We both ran to the pole, as i got to his pole i went wait a minute," Im goin" my drag was singing like no other. Long story short Steve missed his and i landed a 12 pound flathead

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Most of My time is spent in chasing the big boys! but I also fish for eaters from time to time.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I visualize catching a big flat every time I set up. You just never know what size you are going to get. Its all great in the end though. I like to think I learn something from every fish big or small.

19. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I belive that the majority of us will target bigger fish , but like myself dont get to upset if we slay the 3 to 12 lbers all night long