Target Panic!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by cattinhoosier, Jul 21, 2008.

1. cattinhoosier

cattinhoosier New Member

State:
    indiana
    For those of you with target panic I'm sorry this is a terrible disease and I'm determined to beat it this year. My plan is to aim at my target without shooting for a couple of weeks. Then practice a surprise realease I'm hopeing this works. While not costing me any trophy deer yet it is always on my mind and is embaressing on targets good luck to all bowhunters and good shooting.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I still get very excited, but i started drawing on everything unless a shooter was following. It's good practice and after you get drawn on a few, realizing all you have to do is touch er off, you'll gain more self confidence and the gitters won't bother you as much. I'll also say that if it ever cease to excite me, i'll quit and do something else. Good luck and theres no substitute for practice.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Been there, done that. Most archers that have been shooting for awhile, will sometime in there archery shooting, suffer from target panic. This can take time to alleviate. I had this archers disease for about a year until I fought back. I drew my bow and was afraid of releasing the arrow, figuring I was going to miss the mark. I held my bow in full draw to 10-20 seconds. Way to long to hold and I was shaking like a dog shi!!ing razor blades. LOL! The best advice I can give to someone that suffers from target panic is you have to start to shoot the bow the right way. SUPRISE RELEASE, PUSH AND PULL METHOD. No way you should punch the trigger on the release, this forms bad habits and will cause problems later. To properly execute the Suprise Release, draw the bow back and wrap your index finger around the trigger. Put pressure on the trigger. Don't worry about the bow going off. IT WON'T! Now push with your left hand on the grip of the bow and pull with the right hand. This should give you the suprise on the release. It takes practice to develop well. Believe me it takes time and you'll be shooting like crap for awhile. Practice this for 10-20 arrows every 2-3 days. Don't over do it. Good form and a smooth release is key.

Blind bale shooting is very beneficial for perfect practice. Stand about 3-5 yrd. from a target bale. Draw the bow back and close your eyes. Go through the form and shot sequence. Don't worry where the arrows hit. You don't care at this time. Do this for 10-20 arrows 3 times a week for a month. Practice this without opening your eyes and aiming. After a month stand in front of the bale at the same distance and do the same, but aim and shoot. REMEMBER. GOOD FORM AND SMOOTH RELEASE. Make sure it goes off with a suprise. Do this for a week and then move back a few yrds. and shoot again. You'll be impressed on how you shoot. I always like to shoot a few arrows at a bale with my eyes closed before aiming at the target.

A suprise release or back tension release can be a very important tool for archery shooting. I say buy one, but don't skimp on the cheaper models. The Chocolate Addiction, by Carter, is an awesome release. Scott makes great models to. Talk to a Archery Pro Shop for advice. They should get you on the right track. Good luck with the shooting!:wink:

Hope this helps you!
    Mark.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Glad i read all this Mark. Your talking about a back pressure release. I was thinkin, if you pull on my ole' fletch hunter, ya better have it pointed where ya want it:smile2: Good solid advise and i agree with your strategies.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Also I wanted to add that good form is key. This can be accomplished by proper stance, proper grip and smooth draw. For the stance, stand facing the target, plant both feet firmly on the ground. Relax. The grip is accomplished by place the fleshy part of your palm on the grip. Correct grip should not slip when drawing your bow. TRY THIS. Next time when your shooting, put something slick on your bow hand like hand lotion. Now draw your bow. Notice that your hand will find the proper grip when drawing your bow. Your finger tips should only touch the riser, relax grip. When drawing the bow, keep your elbow up. Aim, push and pull using back tension. Smooth release. Back tension is accomplished by sqeezing your shoulder blades together. Rhomboid muscles are used in the back for shooting the bow. When aiming, never try to freeze the sight pin on the target. Just let the pin float around. Your self conscious mind will let the pin center itself on the target when the shot execution is taking place. Surprise release and good follow through is the making of the perfect shot.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My releases are set pretty tight. I don't like a release with a hair trigger. My releases can be set really tight or loose. It takes alot of pressure with back tension to set my shot off. Now I'm using a release that has an extra long spring for the trigger. I use my index and middle finger to set the shot off. This helps me to hold on the shot better and execute the shot with better form. I still use a back tension release for practice too. A great release for anybody who wants to shoot better.

7. cattinhoosier

cattinhoosier New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks mark I appreciate the pointers a tip I might give to others is not to shoot too much at one time it really starts bad habits and will eventually cause target panic. Rushing the shot or punching the trigger is a definite no no. When I was younger my friends and I would shot none stop for hours don't do this. Ten well executed shots is better than 100 at one time. I hope this helps someone! EAT THE DOES LET THE LITTLE BUCKS GROW

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Great advice David. Never over do it! If you feel tired, hang the bow up and wait for another day. If your shots don't feel right, then quit until later. 10 great arrows beats shooting 50-100 lousy arrows. Keep the form, shot sequence and follow through the same on each shot and you're on the right track!!:wink:

9. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    You might try this easy methoid It worked for me .
    tie a small milk jug to a string and have someone pull it from behind a barrier supprize aim and shoot don't think
    shoot only in low light conditions morn and nite ,sun in your face and behind your back .I shoot 4 times in the morn and 4 at nite for a month be for the season opens standing on the ground sitting on a bucket ,like in a blind and up in my climber .I change each day. I also throw water bottles from all stands for targets or have someone else do it for quick shots.
    It helped me
    ps. check with the local cops before climing a tree in your city park with a bow they get kinda pesky.
    be well
    mule

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Try blank bale shooting.

Get a big round bale or something big enough to shoot at without any spots to aim at. Draw your bow back and focus on your form and the execution of the shot. You won't have anything to focus on besides the big backstop and you won't panic. Do this over and over again for a while and then try the regular target again.

When you go back to shooting at spots again, don't focus so much on putting the pin right on the spot before pulling the trigger. It's impossible anyways. Just focus hard on that spot and keep good form and your pin will float all around it. When you shoot, pull through the shot and get a good release and the arrow will almost always find the bulls eye.

It took me a lot of practice to break my target panic, and I still get it from time to time when spot shooting. You just have to go back to the blank bale shooting again for a bit or atleast that seems to work for me.