Tar River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by amk29, Jun 21, 2009.

1. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    anyone ever fish the tar river? was on my way up to kerr dam this weekend for some blue cat and drove over it. it doesn't look much different than the neuse and figured it might have the same big cats in there

2. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I live in Greenville which is on the Tar. There are no blues or flatheads in the Tar but there are some really nice channels. Best bait for them is chicken livers and cut bluegill. Seems like they're biting really high right now, I've been fishing live and cut bait under a bobber the last few weeks.

3. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    thanks. really appreciate the advice. may head up soon. you ever fished it near oxford? looks like it's pretty sizeable down by greenville compared to here.

4. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    I have fished the tar all the way down to washington where it flows into the Pamilco River and the Pamilco River down to Aurora which is purdy much almost to the ocean.. Have only ever caught channels there.. Fished some bass tournaments there aswell... The River is more known for bass fishin than anything.. So IMO it aint in no way, shape or form compareable to the Neuse River... I'd rather go to the Neuse Anyday over the Tar...

Good Luck on them channels there if you go and check it out..

5. Roe Shad

Roe Shad New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You'd be surprised how many big flathead catfish are in the Tar River, but not many people catch them. It's a "sleeper" fishery. Try fishing around Chicod Creek and downstream from Port Terminal using live bait.

6. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    hmmm... i will have to try harder to try to find flathead spots then because i have fished live bream tons of times for channels and never caught a flathead. Now that i've got a boat i might be able to get to them.

7. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I agree with Roe Shad, there are plenty of Flatheads in the Tar. I fish for them all the time from near the Greenville Airport down river a few miles past Hardee Creek (Port Terminal Rd).

Good Luck

8. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    According To The Article I Just Posted... In 2008 Flatheads Made Up 56 % of the catfish population in the Tar River... So Fishin For Em Should Be Purdy Good In There !!

9. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks a lot dude! Hopefully i can get out and catch some this summer.

10. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm going out on the Tar river tomorrow night after some flatheads hopefully i will find some and they will be biting. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Roe shad, when you say there are flatheads, are there BIG flatheads or just kinda average size. I don't know how long they have been in there.

11. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Hay Will,

According to that Article....

Flatheads, which are native to the Mississippi River basin, have been introduced into rivers in the eastern part of the state, becoming well established and abundant within 10 years of being introduced into the Cape Fear, Tar and Neuse rivers, as well as Sutton Lake in New Hanover County, according to information from the WRC.

Since 2006, WRC biologists have been conducting ongoing surveys in the Tar River to document changes in the catfish community as flatheads become established in the system.

In the 2006 survey, flatheads accounted for 14 percent of the catfish population in the Tar River, but in the most recent survey, conducted in 2008, they comprised 56 percent of the total catfish numbers.

So some have been in the tar 10 years or more... 14 percent of pop. in 2006... 2 years later there 56 precent of pop in 2008 ... So it seems that you have a small percentage of larger flatheads and a really big boom in smaller flatheads that are around 3 years old and younger.... It takes awhile to grow a monster catfish.... So I'd say your goin to hook up with alot of smaller flatties with a chance to hook into a big one but it may not be that common...

12. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the info man.
    Just got in from fishing and i actually caught a few flatheads which is awesome for the Tar, i've never caught them before. The biggest was ten pounds.
    Also, somehow i caught a 5lb channel on a massive live eel. He must have gone for the head i guess to get that hook in his mouth. All the flats came on live bluegill. No monster cats but still caught some which is crazy in the Tar. Maybe in like 20 years the tar will catch up to the neuse and cape fear. If there is enough food for them. Thanks again for the info.

13. bleach7175

bleach7175 New Member

State:
    NC
    Down by Greenville or closer to Rockey mt not interested in the exact location just curious how far i should consider going down river. i live in Zebulon and the tar up by us near Spring hope is just a Big stream

14. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    greenville and downstream is usually good for me. i've been fishin in rocky mount too and it seemed pretty similar to me so either place should be good.
    but once you get downstream from greenville the river gets wider and a lot deeper in some places.
    I know rocky mount is really good for shad fishing since there's a dam there and thats how far up they can go

15. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Your welcome man... Congrats on the flatheads you caught... Always great to find something out about a river you fish thats for sure especially that there is flatties in there ... 10 pound one is purdy good for a start.. There has to be a few monsters in there I would think... Haha Yea the channel cats will surprise you sometimes.. I have caught alot on live bluegill the past month... They took em all head first so like you said thats what probably happened... Flatties love them live bluegills for dang sure.. Never know it might... Your welcome ..

16. Roe Shad

Roe Shad New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Catfishwillie - Yes, BIG flathead catfish are in the Tar. WRC biologists collected flatheads exceeding 50 lbs as recently as last summer. These fish were only 9 years old. By comparison, 9 year old flathead catfish in the Neuse only average about 20 lbs and in the Northeast Cape Fear, about 12 lbs.

If growth remains fast, bigger flatheads should be in store for the Tar River.

17. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    That is awesome and great news to hear.:big_smile:
    I think the lack of blues may have a lot to do with the growth of the flatties. There is less competition for food. Big blues love to gorge themselves and with them out of the picture the channels and flats can grow. I have caught some really nice channels out of there too.

18. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    this is good to hear. I live down the road a little bit from port terminal. What kind of rigs are yall using for the live eel and live bluegill?? Im only use to using chicken livers and cut brim. I use 20 lb test with a catfish rig that you can get at walmart with a 1 1/4 oz. egg sinker on it with a 4/0 circle red hook. Ive only used live bait for bass. (minnow or worm)

Hey will, if you want someone to go fishing with you, let me know, I live on evans street. Im down whenever.

19. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    anybody fish the tar river near rt 85, more towards durham?

20. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC

where at on the tar??