Tappan and Salt Fork Lakes for Flatheads

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mbill, May 17, 2009.

1. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Hi everyone, Just a question on a few locations to try and catch some nice Flatties on these two lakes.
    I now have a boat and am able to get out on the water and am pretty close to these two lakes.
    Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated I dont want your secret holes or anything just a little help.
    Thanks alot for your help again:big_smile:

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    try fishing the leges where it goes from shallow to deep right on the lip of the ledge... cats like to cruse the shallow at night if ya can find dwned logs they act like a funnel put ur bait next to that and a cat will follow the downed logs looking for food also try to fish round spawning cover there looking for spawning cover now or should be and they will take a bait if its close also look for places where bluegill spawn and fish close by cats will be there to pick off gills colse to the outsides of the nesting area just my 0.2 is all hope it helps i fish tappan and clendenibng all the time when i can mabey we could hook up this yr and i could show ya some spots? pm me and let me know ...will

3. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Hey Thanks for the advice Varmint Sniper, sounds good about getting together to see some of the spots out there.If you happen to be looking for a tag along one day also pm me back and we'll set it up. Thanks again

4. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Matt WELCOME to the BOC ! Hmmm, I still kinda miss Good old Midvale ! I used to live up there.

Well, I don't know SaltFork that well, But Tappan, I do know. Tappan has a surprising amount of structure there. There are some old house foundations in a couple of different spots. These almost always hold Flatheads. If you have a depth finder you'll find these structures on there with some poking around here and there from the Marina towards cadiz. Other then that, keep a look out for the Wood ! Tappan is a flathead powerhouse when PreSpawn hits and they are all over any wood on that lake ! Last year I watched two monster Flatheads fighting over a downed tree and it was a sight I will never forget. :eek:oooh: GOD ! I wish I would have had a video camera that day !
    Best bait on there (my opinion) is bullheads. Make up a suicide rig,, hook a bullhead on there , then make a couple of small slices on his sides. Toss him next to a Log or structure then let him swim where ever he wants to go. If there is a flathead there he'll swimm right to him and then BAM ! :crazy: Hold on for some FRESH WATER FRIEGHT TRAIN ACTION !!! :wink:

Remember to hit spots just like your fishing for Bass, If you don't catch something in 20 minutes then go hit another spot.

Best of LUCK ! Maybe I'll see you out there some time.
    Matt AKA DESODE

5. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try Converging creek channels,bays,drop offs.There's a bunch of submerged Xmas trees in there too

6. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Thanks a million to you guys for the help, Gonna be trying it out here real soon. Anyway Desode I imagine Midvale is still pretty much the same as you would remember it I moved here from Steubenville in 98 and am satisfied here. I still havenet been to the races yet and cant figure out why being so close. So Thanks again for you help:big_smile:

7. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I FISHED TAPAN ON WED. CAUGHT ONE THAT WEIGHTED 1,1/2 LBS AND ONE THAT 3.1/2 LBS ON SHRIMP. SAW CARP SPAWNING AND A LOT OF BAIT FISH ALONG THE ROCK PILES ON THE ROAD BANK.
    THERE WHERE ABOUT 15 FISHERMAEN OUT THE SAME TIME. LOOK LIKE BASS AND CRAPIE FISHERMEN.

WATER TEMP SAID 63o ,SUN WAS HOT.

MOOSE:eek:oooh: