tape backing

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by slikk03, May 16, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im no good at tighing line to line, can anyone explain how to use the tape for backing, not that my brads ever sliped just dont want to chance it, also, to get to subjects in one thread, can you tie 100 yards of line to aanother 100, and still make it cast good and stay strong, or is that inposable, thats what they do for mono backining, some detailed advice would be much aprecated, and if you all got any qwestions for me im glad to tell you anytime, thanks from slikk03:big_smile:

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    ok lets see you can use electrical tape for backing then tie the braid over the tape and fill the spool. now if you want to use a mono backing fill the reel to the desired level and the tie your braid to the mono using a uni to overhand knot now this is assuming you're using 50lb mono and 30lb braid now if you do go mono to braid here's some advice use double breaking strength of the braid so if you use 20lb braid fill with 40lb mono especially if you use a 150yd spool if you go with say a 500yd spool then i would use the same lb test mono because the odds of you getting that far into the spool are remote however 150yds? it could happen and if it does and you get to that knot the overhand knot cuts the breaking strength in half so there's the reason for that. now if you want to join braid just use a 12 turn uni to 12 turn uni and it should not fail. the reason for so many turns is slippage with braids if you use a 6 turn uni it will more than likely fail. hope this helps.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its werd becose i never used any backing and never had spool slip but i thumb my spool whil fighting them, like i said , im no good yet at tiey knots on reels or line to line, but tape wll do fine you say, how does tape work, its just as slick as the spool, i did this today befor i put 50 power pro on

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    jake the way tape works is just like mono they both have stretch in them so that when you tie them around the spool they "grip" it since braid has no stretch it can't do that. does that make sense?

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    The tape will allow the braid to "dig" into it, which prevents slipping...... Your going to be putting a lot of faith in a knot that may end up in the middle of a fish fight by using two 100 yard lengths of line, may work fine, but to me that is one less "weak point" I would be adding to my line

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes it does but i think i put to little on it, i took just took three peces to lightly coat the metal, or was i suposed to wad it on there, like i said man its all new to me i learn something on this boc everday, awsom sight hope they keep it up, best site on the net man hands down to the ones running it:angry::big_smile:

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Jake, when I re-spool I normally use just the little tag that comes on a spool of line it doesn't take much to keep a spool of braid from slipping.....

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i never had a big problem with it, slipping but that pb, i think sliped a little,thats why i put that tape on, im going tomarow at 5 in the morning to powertone, i you want to go call me man, i live in moweaqua fishinwil, if you want to get up at 4 and drive down here ill qwit at 8, thats wen it closes,