Tanning fur

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by on_the_fly, Jan 31, 2007.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    do you all tan out your furs after they are dryed. if so do you all buy store bought tanner or do you make your own. I was told there is a difference in tanners but I have not seen any different types yet. I was told I needed the soft pelt tanner if I wanted my pelt leathers soft and flexable. Any pointers or tips would be helpfull. Thanks fellas

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    have any of you ever used Alam and pickelling salt to tan your furs out with . I found an old fur book form the early 80's and that was their way for the average joe to budget tan their selfs. just was curious if any of you have tryed this or even still do it this way now.

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    If you're going to sell your pelts you don't have to tan them, just dry them properly on fur strechers but if you just want to tan some for yourself the alum and pickling salt works just fine. I have one pelt of each of the common furbearer's that I've trapped an tanned this way and hang on my wall as decorations. If you want to soften the pelt just throw it in a dryer with no heat with a pair of old tennis shoes after rubbing neatsfoot oil into the flesh side of the pelt.

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hold on just a few here, just because that book came from the 80's don't mean it is old.

I just dry it for shippment, I do not tan my fur. I have tanned some for myself, and the best I have ever done was with Indain Tan. It turned the leather just as soft as could be.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well I am tanning out a yote now with the alum ans salt solution. I got it mixed 1/4 cup alum to one gallon water and the salt is dubble the alum. its been two days now and it appears to be working great the skin is starting to turn white and its extreemly pliable. I will know in a few more days, I was told the way I am doing it that it needs to set for 5 days. I'll let yall know how it turns out if any of you are looking to do this for your selfs. and by the way in 1980 I was only 4 years old so for me that was 27 years ago and since my son is turning 8 this thursday I'm feeling a little on the older side this week.

6. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well I was not but 11 in the 80's, my oldest turns 14 this Friday. I am still young and getting it. I let you know when I get old. Hey fish hook, how old were you in the 80's????

Keep us posted on the tan. I would love to do it myself.

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well I got out my yote from the tub last night. I then run it through the dryer on no heat for two cycles. and now its like a thick shirt. When I drop it on the floor it just piles up like a sweetshirt, its extreemly pliable. The alum also turned the hide white and did not efect the hair at all. It looks like i found the way I was looking for to tann myself. o and it cost me 10.21 for the alum and 5.52 for two things of the pickeling salt. so for just under 16 bucks I tanned a yote and my buddy last year sent one out to get tanned and it cost him 85 bucks. and his is not as pliable as the one I done.

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the solution that cabella's sells works fine. just follow the instructions and it has done bobcats, fox, and some axis for me. on the fox make sure you follow the instructions exactly or the hair will come loose. the last fox i did is the best hide i have done so far. one bottle $11 will do 2 or more fox, one and a half deer or axis, and two big bobcats.

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have grandchildren older then either one of you'll's children. I was 39 years young in 1980.