Tanners Creek acidic ?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by tbird, Oct 21, 2009.

1. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I went fishing out of Tanners yesterday, had little trouble catching shad got quite a few large ones 6-7” nothing small. I dumped into live well then transferred to bait tank. I noticed a couple seem distressed and on closer inspection they had flesh exposed on there backs. I threw them back thinking a heron probably worked them over. However today I read that the Giles Chemical plant had 1000 to 4000 gallons of pure sulfuric acid overflow from a tank into Tanners Creek. Gee I have an aluminum boat hope it isn’t any thinner.

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hmmmm guess i wont be crappie fishing tanners sunday like i had wanted. thanks for shareing

3. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I don't want to scare you off I think this was last week so it is probabaly over.I didn't see any dead fish or anything just those messed up shad.IDEM and Coast Guard involved.Emergency Response Services of Indianapolis cleaning up.

4. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully they get more than a slap on the wrist.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey it was brought to my attention that the reason a big deal hasnt been made out of this is because sulfuric acid breaks down in water. so when it hit the creek it basically went from being a dangerous chemical to harmless water. the creek woulve broke down the acid so much that it would not effect anything. so it sounded a lot worse that it really was.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  6. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wow, what a tragic way to spill some acid. Sure the EPA don't mind

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks for the report tbird. it was probably cheaper to pay the fine than dispose of it correctly.:sad2:

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    just natures way of breaking down the rubber compounds in the floating condoms I see all the time in the river......:crazy:

9. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Never caught one of them I suggest deep frying till crispy and serving with plenty of beer.

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    yowza! there are a few things on this earth that wasnt meant to be in a fryin pan no matter how many beers are involved.....

11. The Catfish Cowboy

The Catfish Cowboy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like it all worked itself out for you guys. We had a spill here some years back and I was haten life for a bit. I have a total of about 600+ animals here on the ranch and a small creek that run through it. I dont know what I would do it there was ever a spill and my animals were effected. I know I sure would be a little hot at the person at fault.

12. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    welcome to the BOC michael! Stick around, theres lots of great people, and great information to be had here:wink:

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    With 600 animals you oughta have insurance for something like that.
    What kinda spill did you all have? Did it affect any wild life at all? Just curious...

14. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey I went crappie fishing yesterday withthe ole man and we caught up with Officer Jackson. A long time Game warden. And we asked him about the spill in tanners and he asked what spill? And that he had not heard of any spill. So according to our local dnr official there was no spill in tanners

15. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Flootie it is printed in The Journal Press it is on front page under G'dale pool future uncertain where IDEM busted them for dumping swiming pool water into Tanners. Like so what compared to acid. This paper came out tuesday Oct 20,2009. Please read it before making any more statements like that!

16. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Found the paper here is what it says word by word:
    "Greendale is also dealing with a much more dangerous spill that occurred at the Giles Chemical plant Tuesday, Oct. 13, when 1,000 to 4,000 gallons of pure sulfuric acid overflowed from a tank and ran into Tanners Creek. Following a response by IDEM and the U.S. Coast Guard, a crew from Emergency Response Services of Indianapolis began cleaning up the spill the next day. Cost of the clean-up will have to be paid by the company."

I think it is a shame the local CO didn't know and apparently didn't care.

17. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    He probably didnt know because sulfuric acid ending up in the water isnt a major threat to the eco system due to the fact it breaks down so quickly. And he did say that even if there was a spill of sulfuric acid that it wouldnt matter too much because it doesnt effect anything with its quick break down rate. but ur right if there was a spill and he didnt know about it, that is pretty sad. but i went all the way back in the creek to where giles is located, and there was no sign of a spill or cleanup or anything for that

18. The Catfish Cowboy

The Catfish Cowboy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I didnt have a spill. I was just saying I didnt know what I would do if i had a tragic spill in the creek that run through my fields.
    And yes all animals are insured due to Fire,Tornado,Flood,and chemical spills. I house about 50+ horses from northern states in the winter cause some folks dont like to tend to them in the cold months like they should. So I go get them or they bring them here. Kids lovem. I get a few show horses every now and then. Ones that have been in movies and what not.