Tankless water heaters?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by derbycitycatman, May 2, 2009.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive got me a new, small, very small spot im moving into. All the plumbings inline and Im on well water, everythings within 25' or so. Redoing everything with PEX pipe. Has anyone had any experience with tankless water heaters? Im looking at one thats 4 gpm and Im hoping thats enough for a quick shower, nothing else going on. :0a36:

2. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If your sure that's all you'll have going at once then you'll be fine. Especially on well water as the flow rate and pressure is typically less than city water. It's when you are in a three bath house and have several people in it, that you have problems and have to have multiple units. Multiple large capacity tankless heaters mean big $$$$$$.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Talked to a couple of guys at work who read our electric meters (i work at a utility company). They said the electric meter is whizzing real hard when you get an electric one. The gas/propane ones seem way more efficient. These two guys have just built new homes, and both have propane powered tankless water heaters. They love theirs, and say they can get as long a shower as they want, without running out of hot water.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I rather like my arms and legs and would rather keep them than spend them on a tankless waterheater..

5. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im looking at a natural gas one for about $220 shipped. If its as advertised I should be very happy.

6. rcjoyner

rcjoyner New Member

State:
    tn
    where you getting it from??

rob

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS

I got rid of my propane one. I don't like having to keep propane in my tank during the summer and watching it bleed off all the time. Not much difference in watching the electric meter spin like mad or watching most of your propane bleed off all summer. If you are on natural gas, that is the cheapest way to go.

Since you are on well water and will use very little hot water, a waterless tank is the way to go. I went through 2 regular water heaters in 3 years when I bought this house. A single guy living alone doesn't use enough hot water to keep it circulated and you will be dumping bleach in your water heater to keep the rotten egg smell away. Then you will be cutting the rods out, then replacing the water heater. A 4 gpm will be enough for one person.

8. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    ebya :embarassed: lol

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm planning on putting in a tankless when my present water heater dies. We'll have to avoid using hot water elsewhere when someone's taking a shower, but we have to do that anyway, just run some water in the sink, and someone's freezing or burning up.

10. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Been using tankless natural gas for awhile now and I like it. After a year it will save enough to buy another if it goes bad. No where near the wait compared to a tank one, but Im in a really small house. Ive also heard dont take a shower while someones doing dishes but havent tried it yet, im more worried about water pressure than anything on that. Will try it and report back, lol.