Tankless Water heater

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SubnetZero, Aug 2, 2007.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Anyone have a Tankless Water Heater, and if so, how do you like it?

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm kind of curious about that myself...

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've supplied wiring to several.
    Lets face it , water heater tanks aren't what they used to be. If I get one to last 5 years I've done good. The one my mom and dad had installed in their new house in 1967 lasted 32 years.
    I'm going tankless on the barn first. If it works well there for me I'll install it in the house next time I have a tank failure.

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dont they work like a coffee pot with a little more power.

5. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I used one when I was in Spain two years ago. It was natural gas, and worked really well. I imagine you could save a few bucks for sure if you only heated the water you used...

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ive heard about these on paul harvey and have been wondering how good they are or how long they last but havent heard any feedback yet from anyone so i will wait on it.
    in a house as small as ours the little extra space our tank takes up could sure help us make more storage for kitchen stuff.funny you mentioned that mark cause i replaced an antique one last year that had to have been 30 - 40 years old empty weighed as much as a new full onethe burner didnt have a seperate pilot tube i cant remember but i dont know if it even had a thermocouple . the tank wasnt leaking but the building inspector said enough was enough it had to go:smile2:.

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Friends of mine have had one for several years, no problems. Water heater is a gas model. 3 bedroom, 2 bath house and it will deliver hot, hot water.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    These have been used in Europe for a number of years. Most of the ones that I have seen are under the sink types that are about like a coffee pot on turbo. You have to have some patience with them, but they do produce water so hot that you can brew tea with it.

They are a little on the expensive side for my preference, so I have been waiting for the price to drop. Being that our kitchen is so far from the hot water heater, though, I have been seriously considering one of these.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You do have to think before adding one. If you add one and its not close to everything that needs the hot water. It will not work right. They are not make to supply water a long way. There make to supply water at the source. Or within so many feet of the heater.
    I know a few people that have them. And the there great. But if you have one bathroom in the other end of the house. Do not expect it to work good on the end of the house.

Pete

10. Ardiva

Ardiva New Member

State:
    Kenai, AK
    Well, Shiloh, it sounds like a great idea, however we have two bathrooms, each at the opposite ends of the house, so it looks like we won't be able to utilize the new tanks. :sad2:

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ok, I'm confused. Given that a bathroom is at the opposite end of the house from the hot water heater, why would the temperature of the hot water drop more if you're using a tankless than if you're using a tank type? I know I have to run the hot water for a long time before the water coming out is actually hot, but the tank has a limited amount of hot water, while the tankless would be an unlimited supply.

12. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I am like Jerry, the hot water has to travel to the other end of the house either way so what diff would it make. I'll tell you in a month or two as we are putting one in and our hot water tank is in the basement. Everyone of our friends that have one brags about it all the time and some of the units has been in for over 20 years. The savings are good although the cost is higher to begin with. And from what I understand you can replace all the parts if needed down the road.
    Bill

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The idea for tankless water hater is they can be put where the water is used, say under a kitchen sink or in bathroom vanity.

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    They have whole house units as well

15. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I had a whole house unit in my home in KS. and installed 2 others for friends, we are talking about 25 years ago,These were propane and natural gas units.
    They are nice - you never run out of hot water, just get a large enough unit, if you size it too small and run a couple faucets at one time it cant keep up with the volume and the water wont heat up fast enough, sure will get your attention when taking a shower!
    In my house now I added a bathroom on the other end of the house furtherest from the water heater, I put a small electric heater ( 2 gallon) under the sink so as to have instant hot water there, it works fine and as you use water it is feed from the hot water line so you really don't notice any change in water temperature as it runs out and the hot water heater water takes over.
    I am planning on putting a unit at the kitchen sink as well as they work.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    It has something to do with the water cooling down on long runs of pipe.
    All that I know is the people that do not mount them as the manufacture states never like them.
    But if installed right there great.
    Pete

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I need one. My old one is in a small room where the boiler used to be, along with my new propane furnace. A couple weeks ago I went down to work on the house and found that the heater busted and flooded the room. I had water 4' up on my new furnace. Now I'll have to replace both.

18. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Ow, Billie, that brings back bad memories! My wife and I had a pipe freeze and burst in our basement not long after we were married. We were away for the weekend, so you can imagine our dismay when we received a water bill for 40,000 gallons of water! :crazy:

By the way, I remember reading about a pump-and-valve system that you can add to a kitchen sink that is far from the water heater. You press a button at the sink and a solenoid-controlled valve connects the hot water pipe to the cold, and another crosses over at the water heater too. The pump would run for several seconds, then the button would light, all the valves would open, and you would have piping hot water!

The principle was that the hot water ordinarily cools in the hot water supply pipe. The pump would circulate this cooled water back to the water heater intake, while drawing hot water to the sink.

I remember thinking that this was an outstanding idea (the cost of running the pump for five seconds is minimal), but it was still too pricey to install at the time! Perhaps someone has experience with this system; maybe even the price has dropped?

19. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Those sound neat but with a up stairs bath I wonder if it would work?
    Bill

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Doesn't sound worth the trouble and expense to me if I understand it. After all, you're simply running the cold water back into the hot water heater, so all you're saving is the cost of running the cold water down the drain. Or am I missing something here?