TAME THAT FLATHEAD CATFISH

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by gdlocal10, Jan 28, 2009.

1. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hey-operator and I talked to a older fisherman that told us when he was younger, a couple of guys told him, follow us and we ll show you a tamed flathead. So he followed in disbelief,he said they got to the water and they gave him the end of a rope and went down under a log and shortly after tugged on the rope, when he got this sign he started pulling and pulling and pretty soon the water started to boil and at the end of the rope was a 55 or so lbs flathead. He said he asked how did you guys do that and they told him , for a couple of weeks they have been petting the fish everyday in the hole under the log until the got to where they cold pass the end of the rope thruogh the mouth and out the gill and clip the end back to itself and tugg. Now thats a fish story like Ive never heard.
    The gentleman swears its true, and we discussed it and we think he is telling the truth what do you think:confused2:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think most of it is just to make a good story but I am sure they did go in and noodle a flathead. It is common to use rope to tie them up before you pull them out of the water.
    I would hesitate to call it taming them though. But I guess anythings possible.:smile2:

3. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I was pretty sceptical but Im not sure if this guy would make up a story, he seems pretty straight up. It does sound crazy, I guess if it was the right time of year they would be more dossil. I think you are right maybe they 2 boys noodled the fish and made the story up about the tamming it for a few weeks.they probably knew the fish was there. Think youll be at the lead pouring party in Larwence?

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Good story, Gary! Just goes to show any critter can be trained. Like you
    said, though, training might not be taming.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Im still not 100% sure if I can make it to the lead pour.
    I will be leaving for Texoma either Sunday or the following Mon. Thats alot of driving.:smile2:
    I would like to go though.

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    If you caught the flathead and left it on the rope for a couple days to a week it would probably learn that it is less irritating if it wouldn't pull on the rope. Its the same way with training a calf to lead. You tie it to a donkey on a short rope, and whenever that donkey wants to go somewhere and the calf doesn't the donkey gives him a kick. Needless to say the calf learns pretty quick that you dont pull against the rope.

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Ya... Poaching is the word I was thinking.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I will agree that it is a good story........................so I choose to believe it:wink:

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    man oh man
    i agree with kyle they noodled the fish

10. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    good point its it would still be something to get the rope in the fist in the first place

11. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I think they noodle the fish also but imagine yourself as a kid and some gave you the rope, and the water started boiling . wouldnt that be something:smile2: