Tamales

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Mi11er, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    We were given some real tamales with the corn husk on them. I was wondering what the best way to warm them up. I know we need to steam them, how do you do this.

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    it's just a big'ol pot that has a screen on the bottom with water right below it , stand the tamales upright or lay them in .
    and reheat them about 10 t 15 min , or to your lkeing .

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Jess thats some good eatin. A colander above the water in the pan will work also. . We have a special made gizmo that sets in the water on legs but keeps the food above. Not sure what it is called. There is a lady in Blue Springs that makes tamales at home.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    You are right that is some good eating:big_smile: Wow, they were made from pork, and were out of this world. I am a redneck and use to eat them out of a can:eek:oooh:, never agian:big_smile:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lmao Jess, That really gave me a chuckle. I have never had anything from a can that beat the real thing. :big_smile:

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tamales in a can or without a husk. Y'all kill me.:tounge_out:
    Not trying to make fun but I aint never had a tamales without the corn husk on them. heck Do they make em in a can.:eek:oooh:

Dang right its good eating. I love em, all types of Mexican food.. We get plenty.
    Guess you got to be in Texas. Heck anyday of the week , my parts, you can get fresh hot real tamale, lots of different meats. Tacos, all kinds of fresh Mexican foods.:big_smile: there is even homemade cooking delivery service , to the job, parking lot whatever. Just drive down
    the road or, there is plenty of eaten places that got em.
    I dont even buy em to freeze for later, we can get fresh every day for 5 to 6 bucks a dozen. Mild, medium hot, beef, chicken and wild guess.

when I buy a couple dozen , I pig out. If I got to re heat em. I nuke em for a few seconds. Works for me. Not sure bout frozen ones.

Yelp, I like the fresh one's.:cool2:

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Heck ya they make them in a can, Hormel makes em :smile2::smile2::big_smile_2:
    They are the greasest things on earth, you almost have to be drunk or starving to think they are good.

8. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    hormel in a can ... ewwww

interesting twist on that velveeta/rotel dip you see so much of this time of year,
    add a can's worth of those hormel tamales to that cheesey dip. smoosh up the tamales real good and stir into the dip.
    not bad and covers up that plastic taste from the velveeta

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well, I'm sure no one intended for you to die Dan. :tounge_out:

They don't MAKE 'em in a can. They do PUT 'em in there.....also glass jars. My mom was born in TX, but as far as I know she's never had REAL tamales. When I was a kid, she bought those canned ones occasionally and thought they were great :big_smile:. I didn't know any better, so I liked 'em too.

As a matter of fact, I STILL don't know MUCH better. Never had the ones in corn husks. I b'lieve I'll just have to make some myself, since the Mexican restaurants around here don't have 'em either!

If you order a tamale in my town, it's a l'il cornbread cake with some seasoned pork on top.

Bear, I can't imagine you eating canned tamales, even mixed with cheese! :eek:oooh:

Glad you enjoyed your tamales Jess, sounds good bro.

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    oops, posted twice.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Listen to Demetrius, thats the recipe. Man I love tamales. That and Menudo on new years. :)

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

You don't have much time. Could you burn me one of those Menudo CDs and send it Oz? I know you must have some, and I need some good music for New Year's. :wink:

13. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I make tamales often from venison and wild boar. Also love them made with apple or cherries. If you have some uncooked or that just need reheated steam them or microwave them... I put a cheap aluminum pie tin, poked full of holes, in the bottom of a big pot. Then stack the tamales on top of it. They steam perfect.

LOL the canned tamales don't compare in any way, shape, or form...lol It's kinda like spaghettios with meatballs compared to real homeade spaghetti and meatballs...no comparison. :big_smile:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR

Wish we could get handmade tamales that cheap! We used to pay a buck apiece for them; they recently went up to $1.25. They're pretty good sized tamales, but that's still a lot of money for some cornmeal and a spoonful of meat. I've been planning on making my own, but haven't gotten around to it.

15. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    I just bought some homemade tamales from one of my Hispanic students at school right before we left on break, they sell em for $10 a dozen and they are very good, her mother makes them, makes beef or chicken filled too. She brought them to me freshmade and still hot at 3:30, These are in the husk they were GREAT! I made taco's and we had the tamales too

I add a can of chili to rotel sometimes and that is a different kind of rotel too, never tried the tamales in it, but I will. LOL!

16. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm making some today. Was trying to figure out what to do with all the turkey I had left over from Christmas. So into the crockpot it went with some chicken broth, tomato paste, a pack of chili seasoning and some other spices, a small can of sliced jalepnos and the juice and believe it or not some leftover whole craberry sauce. Sounds weird but it kinda has that sweet and spicy thing goin on. Smells great. Gonna let it crock a few more hours then tonight I'll make a bunch up. Never tried them with turkey but worth a try...hate to have all that good turkey go to waste and you can only eat so many turkey sandwiches..lol :smile2:

17. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We make them about 3-4 times a year, in big batches. They freeze really well and reheat great in the microwave if need be. I like mine with a bowl of chili. Hope you have fun, Mike.

18. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    You guys are killing me here. I love Tamales but did not get my batch this year. I grew up in El Paso, Tx or New Mexico when I was younger and always had Tamales. I lived on Mexican food. I now live up here in Pennsylvania and don't get it as much. I usually get a supply of Tamales and some very good fresh green chile each year from family that still lives in the area. This is the first year I did not get any. I have to make up and double up this next year. :smile2:

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I tried to but didnt work. I was ladeling into the cup holder on the puter and all heck broke loose. :smile2:

20. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Hmmmmm Tamale's i love eating them,For Christmas my mom and sister made 10 dozen just for us this year ,What was left over in sauce and the meat from the pork is used to put over the top of them when you eat them..I'll need to put up this recipe soon for those that like TRUE TAMALE'S:wink: