Tamales

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Mike81, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    About time to make a big batch of tamales. I love em. I make them out of all kinds of meat, pork, chicken, beef, deer, wild hog... whatever I have at the time. I have tried a few different recipes off the web and they are good. Any BOC members have a really good tamale recipe you want to share??? :wink:

mike

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I would like to make tamales sometime. My wife grew up in San Antonio and grew up on tamales. Unfortunately, there aren't any places that make them to her liking around here.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am cooking the meat right now. One whole chicken and one deer shoulder. Smells awesome...:big_smile:

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Dang thinkin' about "good" tamales is makin' my mouth water.Made the old way using hand ground corn meal and wraped in corn shucks.It's been 40 years since I had it that good.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Try smoking your peppers (whatever type you use) before adding them to the mix. If you can find them look for banana tree leaves and wrap them in that just like you would the corn husk for a little different taste and green tamales. Just two tricks that add flavor without changing the recipe to much.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks, I didn't slow smoke the peppers but I did char them over some mesquite until they were soft and then peeled them. Chopped them up with some cilantro and mixed it into the meat mixture. Came out excellent, made about 3 dozen, half deer and half chicken. I'll try to write up the recipe and put it on. Here a couple pics of the project.

mike

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Corn husks are Mexico. Banana leaves are Honduras.
    I like Tamales but I like some authentic tacos too!

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    No doubt Mark, the tamales are good...but man, i think I'd take a really good authentic taco first...:big_smile:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I had never had a Tamale until about 3 or 4 years ago.
    I flew to Dallas for a Marlin lighting school.
    The owner of Marlin carried me out to eat one night at a Papasitos. We dont have those here.
    The next day we discussing food and it turned to tamales.
    He found out I had never had a tamale or knew what one was. He immediately turned to a guy that works for in technical support that is of mexican decent and told him to bring me tamales.

He went home and had grandma make me about 40 of them.
    They flew home with me.
    I like tamales also. Whats difficult with buying tamales is the way people season and spice them.
    Some of them are bland. Others nail it just right.

With tacos I like my nose to be running by the second taco, wiping sweat from forehead by the 3rd and after the 4th I'm taking a beer break.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh ... i see what you are saying,,however you get a tamale, hot and spicy or mild...that's what it is... With a taco, you have more control over the heat by adding what you want and make it as mild or hot as you like....

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I always threaten that my next wife will be a senorita.:smile2:
    Young old, it dont really matter as long as she run a tortilla press and a hot plate on the stove.:big_smile:

12. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Trying to make tamales today for the first time...Hope this works.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Tamales are good; tacos are good. But best of all is a big batch of chili rellenos made with Anaheim (California) peppers instead of poblano peppers.

14. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I finished my tamales yesterday and they were pretty good. I got my recipes from a buddy of mines mom, and about half way through it I made some modifications. I'm going to have to find a way to make smaller batches though cause this made about 6 dozen and I am the only one in the house that eats them. I'll post the recipe a little later when I have more time.

15. JJ Hunt

JJ Hunt New Member

State:
    MS
    I don't have any recipes but will be glad to sample some for ya.

16. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'll try to post my recipe this weekend, it makes about 3 dozen and they taste pretty good to me. I vacuum seal and freeze about 6 per bag....

mike

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Mike you got me going!!! I have to start from scrach cause I don't have any thing to make them with + I have to buy a steamer.It take me a while because money is tight right now but I'm gona do it.My wife is in the hospital as I type this and that makes 7 times she's been in there this year.

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    You can make a makeshift steamer with cheesecloth over a big pot. Just let it sag down a bit and use bailing wire, duct tape or an old belt to secure it.

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My mother made hot tamales most of her life. She used our old hens that had stop laying. Made them in a large pressure cooker. She also canned them when there was two many hens stop laying. I've gone to the cellar and brought back a couple jars of tamales a many times for supper. I've never eaten a bought tamale that come anywheres close to hers, even the ones made by Mexicans. We have her recipe and have said we were going to try and make some but never have.

20. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

no need to buy a steamer if you have a metal strainer. Just put the strainer in a pot that has water in it, lke a double boiler, and it works like a charm. then cover the strainer with a damp cloth (I don't like a tight fitting lid) and viola a steamer.