Talladega wreck

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Phil Washburn, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok folks - how many cars will be involved in the big one, and when will it happen?

i say 17 cars about 3/4ths way thru the race :eek:

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    It will be 18 cars. It will happen with 48 laps left. It will be started coming off of turn 4 onto the front stretch.

Who thinks Elliot Sadler will get airborne for the third time in a row?

3. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Both of you are way wrong. It will be a perfect race. Nobody will bump anybody, no wrecks. If there happened to be a wreck, I'm positive the driver who caused it would take responsibility and not blame the other guy.

Yeah right!!!!!!!!

4. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

LAP 3
    12 cars, will happen out of turn 4 and it wont be anybodys fault :p
    KIRK

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    well the first big one happened at lap 20....what a mess :eek:

6. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    They were lucky that it was only around 8 cars that were in it. Mark Martin didn't seem to hopeful during his interview, I still think he has a chance though.
    I don't think thats going to be the "big one", Theres still a lot of racing left.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    jeeze. what camera was johnson looking at when he said jr hit him and pushed him into elliot???????? lol. hes getting a rep at tall for causing accidents.

newman didn't hit casey and turn him and seconds later he said if he did he was sorry (then looked at ground) so did ya ryan or not??? lmao.

anyways ya hoooooo. im a jarrett fan and it was a long time coming. he said he could win and he had no intrest in running in the pack. good thing today. some folks say him and others have no b---- cause they run at the back. well today it worked great. those running in the pack didn't even break a sweat lmao. a quote from mark martin. well jarrett missed both wrecks and came from the back to wim. im happy.

had several family members that went to the race. they were all jr and gordon fans. lol. ill be pumping them some grief when they return. wish ide been there. i was at the 98 race jarrett won and got the no bull million. :D

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think the only reason any of us would sit and watch a restrictor plate race through its entirety is for the wrecks.
    I love em myself.

Like Jr. said when he was wrecked out. It's what we get paid for.

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    give it to 'em jeremy when they get back lol

i don't mind seeing dale win it either..he is ok

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lol. i will for sure. and my prospect carl edwards finished in the top 5 too. havent seen the officiol results yet. last i seen was 4th.

man did rigs and waltrip have a ride. :eek: imagine what would happen without the plates. :glare: well we would probably be short 2 drivers next week. lol. maybe they should just stop racing there. most of the drivers hate it. i don't mind as long as my drivers stay out of the big one. coming back from a wreck there and winning is near impossible.

49 and winning. way to go dj. and when ya retire edwards will fill the void. glad he came along. talented. what can i say i like the fellas that keep a low tone (except for the bristol race a few weeks ago) lmao.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    All they have to do is drop the plates and cut their rear spoiler down to a nub.
    They'll have to use a brake pedal in the turns.
    Top speeds probally wouldnt be much different then going into turn 1 at Atlanta or Michigan.
    It would make it better on the driver but would suck from the fan viewpoint.

12. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I'm not a racing fan but I do have a question whats the deal with the restrictor plates why did they put them on and what purpose do they serve. If everyone can only go as fast as the next guy doesn't it make sense that they all stay bunched up and cause accidents.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    basicly mark martin said it best today. the cars have out grown the tracks. the roof flaps were intorduced to allow air flow over and into the car to keep them from going over. when bill elliot hit 212. something qualifying they introduced the plates. the idea is that after 200 mph these cars in a spin become airborne. an airborn car at 200mph is a definate hazzard to fans as well as the driver in and drivers around it.

these cars unrestricted are 8-9000 rpm 800 hp rockets and at tracks like rockingham bristol lowes and such they can only run so fast and they must let off the gas and or brake going off into a corner or they will hit the wall or break loose (rear passes the front) .

so the solution at the time was to introduce the restrictor plate. this reduces the air flow into the engine cutting down horsepower to 500 or so to keep these cars under 200mph. thus making everyone even and the plate race was born. the fans loved the tight racing and big wrecks. $$$$$. the drivers such as most noteablly the late great dale earnhardt, sterling marlin, and mark martin often voiced thier hatred towards it.

after several different failed attempts at fixing the problem they cut the fuel cells back to 11 gallons instead of 22 to try and create more stops breaking up the pack. the first was the daytona 500 wich did create less wrecks and produced the most boring race ive ever seen. now with more changes were right back to where they started. 25-30 cars running 3 seconds apart. and still ocassionally one still goes skyward. last scott rigs today. flew over jeff burton.

basically nascar doesn't want a 230 mph 3400#car going over the fence into the stands. lawsuits and such. ricky craven already went over the fence there years back thankfully onto the grass inbanckment and not into the crowd.

nascar says 230mpr is to fast. thats what they would have if they were unrestricted. IMO there would be lots of injuries and deaths but one time would be cool to see. 230 is fast.

14. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    thanks brother that makes more sense to me now maybe I should start watching the racing.

15. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

is slowing down a race car really racing? protect the fans as best they can
    throw away the plates,then find out who the real racers are.like dirty harry
    once said,every man has to know his limitations.it wouldnt take long to weed
    out those who havent learned when to use the gas pedal or the brake.if the
    late DALE ERNHART could vote on this what would he have to say?
    KIRK :eek:

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    actually, cats, plate racing started because bobby allison tore down the front stretch fence at talladega. i was at that race, and i saw the whole wreck..it was a nasty deal.

as smart as na$car thinks they are, the cheapest and easiest way to end the crap plate racing has become is to take plate off. go a 9 or 10 inch tire...that's all it would take...you are not going to go into the corner at 200 mph on a 9 inch tire. that would put the driver back in the equation

17. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

PHIL
    that is a good thought,it would make a driver pucker up his butt to the
    seat before he went into the corner.i dont want to see any one hurt or
    worse,but something needs to be done.putting plates on the engine is like
    putting leg weights on marathon runners.also no plates= no bump drafting,
    you cant bump what you cant catch.
    KIRK :)

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Good point Phil, restrictor plate racing has created bump drafting strategies on the track. This wasnt a problem until drivers are now starting to do this in the turns and the tri-oval. Its the bump drafting that is taking place in the wrong areas of the track that is causing the wrecks.

19. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    cats that was a really good post alot of info their man you guys are dedicated race fans I just watch it hoping jeff will crash lol

20. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Exelent point Phil. I was as disapointed as Martin was. It is a shame. You were right on when you stated that it started with Allison. That was a nasty one. The roof flaps only work to a point. Too much lift when going really fast backwards PERIOD. I do believe that the fans should boycott talledega, I would hate to see them stop racing there. But like Martin said, "NASCAR is not gonna do anything about it" maybe with the smaller tires, they could still pass like a banshee down the straights and use the brakes in the turns. it would be nice to see it tried.
    Good for D.J. he deserved the win.
    I was wondering what camera view Johnson was looking at too. Juniors bumper no way sticks out that far!