Tall...Venti...or Grande?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Does anybody else go to Star Bucks and get coffee? We just got two Star Bucks in Joplin, Missouri. My wife and I went there and it's some good stuff. I now always get a grande frozen vanilla frappucino every time we go shopping. It's kinda high in price IMO, but they sure are good.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Now come on you can't be serious, LOL!!!
    I like my coffee right out of the Bunn Coffee maker at home, with cream and sugar in a regular sized cup, LOL!! :D :D

I suppose that if there were one close I would try it once, but it would be just to say I had.

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I had the same opinion JW...I just tried it because my wife insisted. Now it's me that pulls into the local Star Bucks every week when we go shopping. Now, during the week at work I drink Folgers because it's cheaper than shelling out $5 for a 24 oz cup of frozen coffee. If it wasn't so expensive though, I'd have it everyday. My wife wants to get a coffee grinder and buy the Star Bucks coffee at the grocery store because it's cheaper that way. Her birthday is Nov. 1 st...one coffee grinder coming up. I wonder if she'll let me use it too? Lol

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gotta love that vanilla frapp!

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Next time try the frozen vanilla bean, it's great!

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thats what my wife gets. I have tried hers and it is good...but it has no caffeine...so says the girl behind the counter. I work third shift...I need Caffeine...Lol.

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Starbucks is good, but Joe Muggs (in Books-A-Million) is better, IMO. I like the frappucino's in the summer, but usually just get a Breve...just like a capuccino, but made with half and half instead of milk. I love espresso :wub: I get something at another coffee shop called a Red-Eye...a regular coffee with a shot of espresso in it for an extra kick. ;)

8. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Guess I'm just too old.
    I like milk and sugar in my plain ole maxwell house coffee.
    Which I might add is getting harder to find.Theres plenty of dark roast,almond,strawberry cherry mint vanilla,chocalte ect flavors.Where did the plain old coffeee go?
    You know, the kind "Juan Valdez" used to pick by hand every morning in the mountains?
    :D

9. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    You're right, Dad, you must be too old. :p Seriously though, I do not like flavored coffees at all...no hazelnuts, or french vanilla's or (gag) fruity flavored coffee. Plain of coffee flavored, thank you very much. With cream and sugar, or just cream, or black if its espresso.

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I've tried Joe Muggs...we have one in our Books-A-Million in Joplin. I didn't like it as much as Star Bucks, but it's still good. There's another new coffee place called Jive In Java. They have some good frozen latte there too.

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I used to be a customer of Seatles best stores here in Columbus prior to Starbuck came into play. Now I make my pot of coffee at home fill my travel mug and thermos and take it all to work to drink. I myself cant see spending 2 bucks for a coffee when I can pay 2-3 for a 1lbs can that will last pretty much all month

12. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    My preference of Joe Muggs prolly stems more from the fact that it was here in Morgantown first, and my first experience with the Starbucks here in town was sub par. My coffee was luke warm, and they "forgot" to make my hubby's cup :mad: He stood there, thinking he just ordered something fancy that needed extra prep, and finally realized they were waiting on the other customers behind him in line. :glare: They did give him a coupon for a free drink of choice. At Joe Muggs, here at least, the people are much more friendly, and always remember what your usual is.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I like coffee like, I like my women, hot, tanned, sweat and natural.

14. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Guess I'm just too old or too country but I can not stand those fancy city folk coffee shops. I mean why pay $5.00 for a cup of coffee that don’t taste like coffee. All this fancy creamers and such come on man coffee is meant to drink straight out of the pot with out all those forging favors and such. After all I unlike Keith
    LOL j/k

15. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Coffee, oh how I love my morning cups of coffee.

Starbuck's, bah humbug. We just started getting them here in Tulsa. I much prefer Java Daves and Quick Trip, however, most of the time I drink coffee made at home or work, mixed with a hot chocolate packet and cream.

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I like my coffee straight up black, no cream no sugar, make it strong too...dark as molassas...the best time to drink it is on a cool fall morning when your on the water or headed to the woods.

Although I must admit that I've never tried a cup from any coffee shop so my opinion may be askew!

I've been sheltered!! :0a1: HA HA

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, we must be bored this morning!! LOL I was expecting to somehow get tricked into the chat room in this thread!! LOL

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Oh good god....

You have found my weakness. I do a good pot of coffee or better a day and it has to meet two standards for me:

1) It had better have been roaasted within the last 2 weeks
    2) It had better be fresh ground.

If I got that going, I am happy. if you all think there aint no difference you either have bad taste buds or really never ever had a greaat cup of perfect coffee.

I used to practically live at a coffee house in college. They had a good two dozen drinkss that I designed on their menu cause after 5 years of being in the place for 5 or more hours a day, I became a spare piece of furniture. lol

My all time favorite coffees are of course Hawaiian Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain- If you are not paying 35 bucks or more a pound, you are not buying the real deal. Theyre the best coffees in the world. The best.

Obviously as a heavy drinker of the stuff you cant do those two powerhouses all the time. My good runners up are Gold Coast, Kenya AA, and Sumatra.

Colombian is alright- just too hard to get a standardized bean for goodness sakes. Too many ripoffs.

As for good coffee and espresso drinks, I literally can post about 300 drinks, but my favorite is what I call a sledgehammer.... 3 shots of espresso layed down in a cup... then you take and steam a half cup of half and half with a tablespoon of caramel syrup and a tablesspoon of ghiradelli fudge syrup and pour it over a bent spoon onto the espresso. Top it with foam, garnish with espresso grounds.

If anyone is interested, I can post recipes for great drinks and novelty coffee drinks too.... but how many of you have a good high psi espresso machine? How many can keep a frother at 132 psi? How many of you know how to grind right or tamp properly? LOL you think those baristas are slow when they work at starbucks? Did you know a proper pour for a shot of espresso should takee about 40 seconds or more? There is a lot to the science of good coffee.

Sal

19. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I drink 2- 3 mason jars (jelly Jars ) of coffee a day, Folgers. I like it straight up Black. Sometimes in the winter I will make half hot chocolate and half coffee.

20. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I just have one thing to say on this friends don't let friends drink Star Bucks. $5 for coffee come on now.

-Brian