Tall tales

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Dec 20, 2007.

  1. Mac-b

    Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    North Caro
    Left my house on the lake and headed out to Stumpy Creek in my 22' Sundance, power by a sweet sounding 150 HP Honda four stroke. The trip up river was normal due to the early hour and no pleasure boats plowing water. Got my four rigs baited with a mixture of white perch strips and small bream heads. Set my Minn Kota on autopilot and sat back enjoying every thing around me. About 15 minutes later I get a small pulldown and it is a small channel cat. This goes on for approximately 1.5 hours and I'm beginning to think that there are no big fish in this area. Then, the big pole bender happens. I retrieve the rod from the rod holder and to my surprise, the fish is taking drag. Have no fear; I'm using 30-pound Cajun Red with a 40-pound shock leader and a 7/0 Owner Circle hook. Time appears to stand still when a big fish gets on! The fish takes drag and then stops and I make a little progress in getting it a little closer to the boar. All this time it is staying down, which is a good sign that it will be a nice one. But, I have a problem; one of my other poles is bent double. Nothing I can do about it with this big fish on. It will just have to wait its turn. Now back to the big fish. I take a little line in and it takes it back and so forth. I am thinking that this never happens when you have a fishing partner around to help you. Thinking ahead I position my net where it can easily be available. But, I now have a problem; the fish has stopped dead in the water. I try to muscle it and it doesn't move at all. I then stop the trolling motor and give out a little line to see if it will run, nothing happens. Thinking that it has wrapped itself around a brush pile or log, I wrap the line around the reel and start to pull and the line breaks. I am now beating myself up for not turning the boat around and going back to the hangup. Then I notice that the rod that was bend earlier is now taking drag. So, I grab hold of it and start the procure all over again. This time the fish start my way in a hurry. It was all I could do to get the line in as quick a the fish was coming at the boat. When it got to the boat, it decided to stay down. Slowly I would work it up and quickly it would go back down. After doing this several times, I notice bubbles coming up and I told the fish that he was now mine. After netting this big fish and placing him in the boat, I notice that he had two red shock leaders and two Owner Circle hooks attached to it's mouth. What are the odds that this big fish picked up one bait and then another? Or, that he was hooked some time earlier by someone using the same type shock leader and hook as I. My fifty pound scales spiked on the first lift of the fish, so I laid it back down in the boat. I decided not to put it on a stringer and I did not have a cooler large enough for the fish, so I let it go. No photo's, no partner to witness the deal, not even another boater/fisherperson in close proximity. In closing, let me remind you of what an old Capt. told me once, "some fish have tall tales". :smile2:

    PS, I was requested to do a fishing story for a book that was published and they requested that it not be the total truth, just a tall tale about a fish that I had caught in the past. Everything is the truth except for the last three sentences. The author of the book published that the fish weighed 1,101 pounds and one ounce and then the phone rang and I woke up from my senior nap.
  2. catfishrus

    catfishrus New Member

    north carolina
    well at least you caught em mac...lol. mine always got loose in my naps:smile2: