Talking about my favorite spot

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Tangler, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    As I have posted on here before, I have a little spot right off the tuscarawas river that i love to fish. Its a small lake, maybe 2 acres thats constantly fed from the river.

The lake has a mostly sandy bottom that holds a lot of brush, as the water level changes drastically in the winter and spring with the river level. This pulls a lot of downed trees and whatnot into the water and makes for great fish cover and nasty snags. The deepest part when the water is, at a normal level, roughly 25-30 ft as best as i can tell with many coves and shallows around the perimeter.

The pond is overrun with shad, among other small feeder fish. In a 7ft diameter cast net towards the end of the season this year, I caught 152 shad in one throw! All were about 3-4 inches long but the perfect size for what I was doing. I had a lot of great success with shad all year with the cast net, which im looking to upgrade to a bigger size next year. So if you like using shad and want some, let me know and I can get you whatever you need come may/june.

On one of my many outings over the summer, I found another fish that is populous in this reservoir. I normally only fish from one side of the pond but on a day when i made my way around to the other side, I caught a glimpse of several large fish swimming near the surface in the afternoon sunlight. The more I looked around, the more I spotted. At least 75 of these long, skinny fish were very slowly cruising on the surface. I had never seen anything like it before and wanted to find out what they were. Armed with only a handful of small bluegill from the night before that I was using for cut bait (they were starting to ripen after 16 hours of fishing), I threw one on and began going after these big fish. Floating on the surface,the gills evoked some interest but it took me about an hour to convince one to bite on and come join me on the bank. As I pulled the 38' fish on land, I was thoroughly surprised to see what I now know was a longnose gar. My first ever! So I know there are many here.

Of course I would not call it my favorite spot if it wasn't good for cats. I caught many channels last year, the biggest over 14#, which is my PB. After a few good strong months of fishing it at all hours and weather conditions, I have their movements pretty well tracked and rarely leave without something to eat.

Along with these aforementioned species, I also have caught largemouth and smallmouth bass, bowfin, crappie, leatherbacks, snappers, sauger, drum, carp, and probably some others that I forgot about....And one other one..

My fishing buddy and I Have caught ONE flathead out of this pond, It was at best 2#. Had to come from somewhere right? Has to have a mom and dad that are bigger, and possibly grandparents too right? lol So the pursuit is still on for flats in this pond, but not too sure what gives with it. But it is my new years resolution to put a new picture on here of me holding that elusive flathead that everyone wants. My buddy is the one that caught that little one. I have never got one myself. Maybe its the area that I fish or something. Not too sure.

Anyways, I was extremely bored and I'm already red with cabin fever. So i decided to talk a little about my favorite spot and share what I have done and what I want to do. What I know and what i want to see.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    If you want some company there, I'll join you some time. I sometimes make it down around Bolivar area and New Phily. Don't know exactly where you are talking about, but I know a few areas like that.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    sounds like a nice little spot ya got there

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    cool post, if there is one flatty in there there should be more, keep throwin bait and something good will happen