Talking about a Missouri Progressive Catfish Management Program

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by westman407, Jun 13, 2008.

1. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
  2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I am pretty shocked that most anglers preferred a fishery to catch a lot of small catfish as opposed to BIG Catfish!

And also that most anglers in Missouri do not support size or creel limits!:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Definatly NOT MY OPINION!

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I say "Let them have their smaller cats". In order to maintain what they are wanting, they will have to protect the breeding stock in some way. That means that this might be a step in the right direction (might be through the back door but still one step closer to our goal)!!!!

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    This dial up connection takes forever to download video so I have to wait for comments to see what is going on. It sounds like JW may be right. Any thing that will start moving the laws to protect the big fish is a step in the right direction. I have never been opposed to keeping the eaters as long as it isnt abused. We just have to do something to protect the big fish.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Actually, I think what this video was refering to is that when The MDC had meetings last year aimed at getting a stretch of the missouri river designated as a trophy fishery, the only ones who showed up was set liners and catch and kill anglers. This is a sad commentary on the CPR guys as We talk a good game but when it comes to showing up to a meeting to get something headed in the right direction We all sat on our hands.

THe setline guys on the other hand showed up in force

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I think you nailed it Brad, when I was watching the video I was thinking that they were probably talking about those meeting were all the Commercial fisherman showed up and none of us. Now we all see the effects of our laziness. :embarassed:

7. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i dont think no creel limit and no size limit is good news like he said, i think there should be some limits on them to produce quality fish. we do keep some fish every now and then to eat but release everything over 5 lbs to do our part in hopefully helping the number of quality fish increase.but thats just my opinion. i also think that MDC needs to find a better way to advertise these meetings because im sure alot of anglers like myself never even know these meetings go on until its too late.

8. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
  9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    There's something to be said there. The problem with the meetings is there being held in and around the stretch of river where the trial law would take place. Thats a good thing on the other hand it's a bad thing as well. As we know fish in a river swim up stream and back down stream when they want. Kind of hard from someone from the city to make it to one of these meetings being held on a work day at 6-7pm. Oh well at least the MDC is doing the right thing. That and I have full faith the surveys filled out on line will be read and taken into account. Other then the people being vocal. It worked for the trophy areas for deer. Now lets just get the trophy fishing taken care of.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think there going in the rite derection but if you want to be heard you will have to take of work an hour or two so you can be there because the commercial don't care anything adout trophy cats. Good luck sooner or leater it will come around I hope before its to late

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    It may have been mentioned already, but what part of the river are they talking about doing this in?

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I believe it was from Waverly down to Jeff City. Not sure of my memory though.

13. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I was hoping it would be along the KS/MO border, but that would take cooperation between two states.