Talkin' Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by TA2D, Feb 4, 2007.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am planning on my first ever turkey hunt this spring, I have a HS Strutt triple glass call, and while practicing I tried one of my wifes acrylic knitting needles and lo and behold it works they even come in different sizes and each one makes a very distinct sound. Anyone else try this or experimenting with other strikers? Also what else do I need to know to bag my bird, I've got a couple months to learn and practice.

Aaron

TA2D

2. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Pretty good idea. We're going to try turkey hunting for the first time this spring, also. I'm sure we'll make lots of mistakes, but heck, we'll be in the woods having fun! Good luck to ya! Hope you get a good one!

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Make sure you pattern your gun, and reguardless what anyone tells you, or what kind of amunition you choose, limit your shots to less than 40 yards. 30yds is better. There is nothing more frustrating than to cripple a nice Tom and have him get away. I know you are both new to the sport, learn a few simple rules, get out into the woods and have a Great Safe Time!
    Sparky

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have a drawer full of strikers, but my favorite is one I carved out of black locust.

Calling turkeys is big fun, so much so, that you will fall in love with the sound of your own calling, and over do it. A little bit goes a long way.

Good luck...it's a grand sport!

5. mega34bkw

mega34bkw New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This year will be my first year hunting as well, just moved from Nevada to Oklahoma this last spring, and I cant wait!! My son got a slate call and some mouth calls for Christmas and just picked them up and sounds like a pro, I can barely even make a noise with them. I believe I am going to get one of those push/pull boxes, I have read that they work well too.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Last year was my first, now I'm hooked. I remember that mornin like it was yesterday, We heard them fly down after a bit of callin, and I thought my heart was gonna explode waiting for them to strut into gun range. This coming from a lifelong deer hunter ! Its different.
    Pattern your gun first, make several shots using different loads and chokes until you get max shot density at 30 to 40 yds. Shoot from a seated position ( like you will during your hunt ), get comfortable with it.
    Pattern the birds, get to know where they are roostin, where and when they fly down. Where the hens are. Where and how you can draw them into your setup.Try to set up between the toms and hens. Dont call in your setup area before your hunt, they tend to get call wise.
    Take an experienced caller/hunter with you. Listen and learn.
    Remember, turkeys are smart, lightening fast on their feet, they have unbelievable eyesight, and they tend to do the unexpected when you least expect it, be ready.
    Good luck, and happy huntin !:cool2:

7. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    [QUOTE and they tend to do the unexpected when you least expect it[/QUOTE]

This is so true, it always doesnt work out like the hunts you see on tv. You also need to do things sometimes that unexpected. Dont be afraid to do off the wall things. I have seen turkeys not come to calls, but when a guy I was with waved his hat in the air and sure enough that turkey turned around and came to take a look. Also (I wouldnt suggest this on public ground) but i have also seen someone just put a decoy out infront of him and crawl right up to a turkey and shoot it. Turkeys are not all that smart of animals, but they are very good at surviving. They go through everyday with other things trying to eat them, so they are decent at staying alive.

8. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    Aaron, since youre from nebraska you probably know about ole Dick Turpin. i swear to you he is the turkey hunting guru of nebraska! he lives in lincoln, give him a call and ask all the questions you want. he will tell you anything you wanna know. or if you want i hunt close down by tecumseh, maybe i could see if i could call in a couple toms. or even better i might be huntin with turpin again this spring and if you talk to him about it im sure you could set up a hunt. hes a real nice man and know a ton and you wont regret it if you call him. be sure you get full body camo of the same pattern because they have unbeleiveable eyesight. they have excellent hearing also. the only thing with their senses that dont help is their smelling, if they could smell as good as they could see itd be next to impossible to kill one

9. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good luck this year. Make sure you can use a mouth call just a little bit because when those big toms hang up 50-60 yards and you cant move, it will be pretty hard to close the deal without a mouth call. Be patient;:0a23: I have a buddy that missed a tom of a life time because he was being unpatient. Your butt will hurt and you will be frustrated but stick with it and it will be rewarding in the end. Good luck!! (Indiana Turkeys ROCK)

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yea ! Hoosier birds rock. Remember last year Bill, you ,me, and Mark almost got busted on the trail. "SHOOT HIM AGAIN BILL !" Aw man that was hilarious. Cant wait till April.:cool2:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have never hunted turkeys either but this year if everything comes togather I will as well as a slate call and various diagphram calls I went and built a real wingbone yealper .it was fairly simple but time consuming but my turkey hunting friends say it sounds good the plans were from a web site and they were simple to understand

12. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Might I suggest trying to roost the birds at dusk. If you know where they went to bed, you can set up on them in the morning. Things go right you'll be out to breakfast in short fashion.

13. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I make at least six wing bone calls a year. I usually give them away, or use them to decorate on a turkey mount.
    I have found out though, when the turkeys do not respond to a box call or my diaphram calls I'll give them a few yelps on my wing bone, and at times it drives them crazy.
    Good Luck this season. Mine starts 23rd of April. I can't wait!
    Sparky

14. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Amen to the roosting of the birds. It is always easier to kill a tom if there is onr there to kill good luck.:004:

15. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    have you hunted much aaron? have u shot one yet?

16. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have watched alot of birds, had some real close, but too many branches in my shooting lane, damn cedar trees. On the plus side, I put my father in law on his biggest bird, 24 1/4 lbs 9 5/8ths beard 7/8th inch spurs, real nice bird. I have watched a bigger bird but haven't had a shot at him... yet...

TA2D

Aaron

17. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Good Luck Aaron! We had no luck, I think I done more running up and down these hills than anything, was surely feeling the burn in my calves :roll_eyes:

If ya get the turkey, post the pictures of it!

18. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ah dont worry bout it man youll nail one! i got two myself last weekend so im pretty proud of that. hope u shoot one of them suckers!